legal ethics, risk management, law, court, lawyer, subpoena, merger, subsidiaries, loss prevention, malpractice, litigation,
District of Columbia
Expert Witness No.2132EXPERIENCE
More than twenty five years experience in ethics/professional responsibility/risk management advising senior law firm management and partners. Over thirty years experience preparing and trying complex cases before federal and state courts and administrative agencies throughout the United States.
Private Law Practice Jan. 2004-present
Attorney at Law
Solo practice representing law firms, lawyers, and their clients in all aspects of professional responsibility, ethics, and risk management. Act as expert witness on professional responsibility and standard of care issues.
Render advice and opinions and consult regularly with law firms and individual lawyers on all issues related to professional responsibility and ethics including, e.g., business intake decisions, conflicts of interest, lateral hiring, attorney-client privilege, disqualification, fee disputes, Rule 11, dissatisfied clients, bar complaints and admissions, lawyers changing firms, insurance coverage, attorney discipline, attorney client privilege, advertising, risk management policies and procedures, engagement letters, subpoenas, mergers, and business subsidiaries.
Reed Smith LLP, Partner 1989 – Dec. 2003
- Ethics/professional responsibility/risk management partner for Reed Smith D.C. with extensive firmwide duties for 1000 lawyer firm with 18 U.S. offices and U.K. (ALAS Loss Prevention partner until firm withdrew from ALAS).
- Claims investigation and management, including selecting, supervising and actively working with outside counsel and insurers, in claims and suits nationwide.
- Insurer audits and annual and loss prevention meetings with insurers.
- Design, develop, and implement law firm ethics training and counseling program.
- Prosecute and defend as first-chair, trials (up to 10 weeks and 100 or more depositions) of numerous complex and protracted civil cases, with recoveries ranging up to $200 million.
- Appeals argued in several U.S. Courts of Appeal and various state Supreme Courts.
- Extensive experience mentoring/training lawyers during 10 years as Assistant Litigation Group
- Head; developed and implemented a 2 year long trial training program.
Pierson, Ball & Dowd, Partner 1980-89, Associate 1973-80 1973-1989
(Merged into Reed Smith 1989)
- ALAS Loss Prevention partner for malpractice insurance and in-house counsel on ethics/conflict of interest and related issues.
- repared and tried complex cases in federal and state courts across U.S., on health care, communications, libel and invasion of privacy, antitrust, and business tort issues.
- Served on Executive Committee during Reed Smith merger negotiations; negotiated final agreement.
- Head of Litigation Practice Group (5 years).
Law Clerk for the Honorable William B. Jones 1972-1973
United States District Court for the District of ColumbiaEDUCATION
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., 1972 -- Order of the Coif; Articles Editor -- Law Review
- University of Notre Dame, B.S. (Physics), 1969
- District of Columbia and Illinois
- United States Courts of Appeal for the District of Columbia, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Seventh Circuits
- United States District Courts for the District of Columbia and for the District of Maryland
- Supreme Court of the United States
- District of Columbia Bar Rules of Professional Conduct Review Committee (2006-present; Chairman 2009 - )
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (Board of Directors 2012--)
- Selected for inclusion in 2012 Washington DC Super Lawyers
- American Bar Association, Center for Professional Responsibility; Section of Business Law (Firm Counsel Project -- Washington, D.C. coordinator)
- Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- International Bar Association (Chairman, Media Law Committee 1996 -2000; Vice Chair 1992-96); Chairperson/Featured Speaker on Media Law issues in Amsterdam, Berlin, Buenos Aires,
- Vancouver, New Delhi, France, Switzerland, Melbourne, Montreal, New York, Boston, New Orleans, Chicago
Available Upon RequestPUBLICATIONS/MEDIA
Available Upon RequestCIVIC WORK
- Committee of 100 on the Federal City, Chairman (2010 - ) and Trustee (2006 - )
- Federation of Citizens Associations of the District of Columbia, President 2005-2008
- District of Columbia Zoning Review Task Force 2007 - present