Expert Witness No.2052
A retired Professor of Finance and International Finance from The University of California- Riverside. He was the Executive Director of The Foundation for Research in International Banking and Finance and was the Editor in Chief of its journal (initiated and managed by him): Advances in International Banking and Finance (AIBF). He served as a Member of the Board of Directors of the Philadelphia Board of Trade.
He served for several years as a weekly commentator on KWHY television (the first All Business Channel) until it was sold in 2000 and has lectured all over the world (over 40 countries) on a wide range of financial/ economic issues, and served as a consultant to corporations, to financial institutions, and to academic institutions.
Expert 2052 has authored or edited twenty-three books and monographs (another will soon be released) dealing with corporate finance, valuation models (domestic and international), international banking and international finance, foreign exchange markets, investment issues and political/policy issues. Some of his books were translated into foreign languages. One was republished as a classic in Mergers and Acquisitions. He authored 35 refereed articles, many appearing in leading journals in the United States. The articles cover a wide range of financial and economic issues.
His latest research deals with valuation, systemic risk, banking and technology, new approaches to valuation and knowledge management, and intrapreneurship (his latest innovative article won the outstanding paper award from IABE in 2015).
Expert 2052 has participated in major consulting projects. He was instrumental in starting the PAMI program at the University of Hawaii and has taught advanced executive programs in the US, China, S.Korea, Lebanon, and Greece. In addition, he has taught previously and for an extended period of time at The University of Notre Dame, Bucknell University, The University of British Columbia, USC, The Claremont Graduate School, The American University of Beirut, The University of Gothenburg in Sweden, Korea University, and The European Business School, etc. He has lectured in at least 20 other universities in various parts of the world, and has given numerous interviews to major publications in the world of business and politics. In 2004, he was invited to speak and teach in ten countries.
Expert 2052 earned his Ph.D. in International Finance from The Wharton School, The University of Pennsylvania. His doctoral dissertation won the FIRST PRIZE in an international competition conducted by the Academy of International Business.
Ph.D. - International Finance, The Wharton Graduate Division, University Of Pennsylvania
- Graduate business studies focused on the theory of corporate finance, economic theory, monetary theory and policy, central banking, and particularly on International Finance....
- Dissertation topic: “International Banking, Its Scope and Raison D'etre, A Special Look at Foreign Banks in the United States”.
- Received First Place in the Annual International Dissertation Award Competition of the Academy of International Business (1979).
MBA - Finance, Boston University School Of Management
- Graduated with Honors in a year and a half. Teaching assistantship in the accounting department during the second year.
B.S. - Accounting. University of Massachusetts, North Dartmouth
- Earned degree with high distinction. Dean’s list throughout. Held part-time accounting job at the University.
Associates - Industrial Accounting, Centre Belge Beirut, Lebanon
Professional Business Experience:
- Paine, Webber, Jackson & Curtis, Boston, Massachusetts. Account executive--Fully registered investment broker. Registered with the SEC, NYSE, ASE, the NASD, and CBOT (Feb. 1972-Aug.1973).
- Managing Director – AFE
- Board member- Philadelphia Board of Trade
Subjects Taught and Teaching Interests:
- Risk Analysis
- International Banking,
- Multinational Financial Management,
- Financial Risk Measurement and Management,
- Portfolio Theory and Strategy,
- Valuation of Financial and Real Assets,
- Corporate Finance, Theory and Investment,
- Monetary Theory and Policy,
- Corporate Planning and Control,
- Speculative Markets,
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- The Economics of Regulation,
- Commercial Bank Management
- The Mathematics of Finance and Economics
Research and Professional Interests:
- Valuation of Financial and Real Assets
- Foreign Exchange Markets and Risks
- International Finance/Finance/Investments,
- Project Feasibility Analysis,
- International Banking,
- International Mergers and Acquisitions
- Policy Issues Relating to Banking Regulations,
- Various Commercial Banking and Monetary Policy Issues,
- Problems in Multinational Financial Management,
- Systemic and Country risk.
Academic and Professional Experience:
- University of California, Riverside, California: Professor of Finance (1984 - present)
- University Of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, Department of Finance and Business Economics (1980-1984)
- Bucknell University, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania; Assistant Professor of Finance and Coordinator of the Graduate Program in Business. Teaching Assignments: Corporate Finance, Investment Analysis, Corporate Planning and Control, Multinational Financial Management (1977-1980)
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Adjunct Assistant Professor of Finance Teaching Assignment: Basic Finance MBA course (1976-1977)
- University of Massachusetts, North Dartmouth, Massachusetts, Instructor of Accounting: Basic Accounting (June 1973-August 1973)
- Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts. Instructor of Accounting: Basic Accounting (1971)
- Taught or gave presentations in over 30 universities all over the world.
Highlights of Consulting Experience:
- Served as a lead consultant in a multibillion-dollar class action lawsuit (2005). The lawsuit was settled for hundreds of millions of dollars after the report was issued. The lawsuit involved a $5 billion dollar company.
- Served as a consultant (2005) to the leading business school min the Arab world. Proposed a comprehensive restructuring plan.
- Served as a lead consultant for Galadari Brothers in Dubai- proposed a major restructuring of their operations and their balance sheet. Their problem was part of a statewide financial crisis in Dubai. The Galadari Enterprises controlled a vast network of businesses in the United Arab Emirates ($300 million were at stake)
- Serves as principal in Advanced Forensic Economics (AFE).
- Served as lead consultant to The News Company - New Castle, Pennsylvania Assessed market value.
- Qualified as an expert witness in a complex case involving diamonds. Testified as an expert witness. The case resulted in a major book on the diamonds industry and on the pricing of diamonds.
- Served as a portfolio consultant, in terms of international portfolio allocations, to many wealthy individuals in the US and abroad
- Qualified to testify in court in Los Angeles about a case involving securities fraud. I testified for the plaintiff. The case was successful.
- Qualified to testify before the Board of Supervisors of Riverside County. I was contracted by the Rose Institute of the Claremont Colleges as a lead consultant. The case involved dumping and garbage collection in the County of Riverside.
- Qualified as an expert witness in a case involving the drowning of a girl. Worked for the plaintiff. Developed a unique model to evaluate life. Was deposed as an expert witness in the case.
- Qualified as an expert in determining regulatory compliance by a major money management group in the San Diego area.
- Qualified as an expert in the development of business schools and served as an advisor in the restructuring of the leading business school in Lebanon at the American University of Beirut.
- Solicited as an expert in the development of two research centers in Hawaii and in Lebanon. The first was at the University of Hawaii, and the second was at a leading business school in Lebanon.
- Started the Foundation for Research in International Banking and Finance, which published cutting edge research in banking and finance and organized conferences all over Europe.
- Lectured all over the world on Financial / economic issues at the invitations of universities, societies and business organizations.
- Established many a not-for-profit organizations
- Served as weekly commentator on KWHY TV from 1995 to 2001. I covered a wide range of economic and financial issues
- Qualified as the point person on the development of an international double degree program between the University of California and 12 West European Universities. I conceived the idea, recruited partners and became responsible for the full implementation of the program.
- Qualified as an expert researcher in the preparation of an extensive study on the cosmetic surgery industry. Was contracted by the Laser Eye Surgery Center of Southern California.
- Qualified as an expert in the evaluation of a very substantial opportunity in the restaurant industry.
- Qualified as an advisor to the Business School at the American University of Beirut.
Regular commentator and extended appearances on television dealing with investment and economic issues. Organizer of numerous conferences on international banking and finance for academics and professionals. Speaker on many political issues in the US and abroad.
List Of Publications:
Available Upon Request