Expert Witness No. 3020
Building Safety Cultures / Reducing Accidents /
Reducing Incidents / Hazard Analysis / Leadership / Investigations
Safety Manager: I have been fortunate to enjoy a growing safety career that has included key positions with well-know companies, including McGraw/Kokosing, Konecranes and AK Steel.
Career Track: Professional growth through such positions as Maintenance Leader, Safety Coordinator, Area (Regional) Safety Manager, and Region Americas Safety Manager for factories and facilities and Safety Director.
Proven Safety Record: I am skilled in the areas of management, including the development of a proven Safety Culture, building relations between management and the workforce and improving safety within the workforce and with contractors.
Degree – Applied Science of Mechanical Safety Technology - Sinclair Community College, Dayton, OH
Degree – BS Occupational Safety and Health – Columbia Southern University, Orange Beach, AL
Achievements & Skills
- McGraw/Kokosing 2017: Orchestrated a 0-accident 75 day outage to rebuild a Continuous Caster and Basic Oxygen Furnace, Hot Strip Mill and Electrogalvanized Line at AK Steel. Directed all safety activity during AK Steel’s longest outage since 2007 with zero recordable accidents for all McGraw/Kokosing employees.
- McGraw/Kokosing – First year accomplishments in 2016:
- Total Recordable Injuries reduced 46%
- Total Lost Time Injuries – Zero (0)
- Konecranes 2010 – 2013 Accomplishments at Konecranes Service:
- Total Recordable Injuries reduced 55%
- Total Lost Time Injuries reduced 92%
- Total Lost Work Days reduced 96%
- 2012 District of the Year - Safety
- April 2007: Orchestrated a 0-accident 28 day outage to rebuild a Continuous Caster and Basic Oxygen Furnace at AK Steel. Managed all safety activity during AK Steel’s longest outage in 25 years with zero recordable accidents for all AK employees and subcontractors.
- Skills: Exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills. Highly personable and capable of working with executive management, front line supervisors, employees and contractors. Proficient in solving problems and implementing solutions under tight deadlines. Hands on executive, capable of efficiently managing all levels.
McGraw/Kokosing – Safety Director, 2016 – til present
Konecranes - Region Americas Safety Manager, Factories and Facilities, 2014 – 2016
Area (Regional) Safety Manager, 2010 – 2013
AK Steel - Safety Coordinator, 1992 to 2010
Expert Witness – 2007 - til present
2016 – til present Safety Director
- Directs, develops, and oversees the general health and safety policies and procedures of the organization.
- Ensures the workplace is in compliance with OSHA and other state, local, or industry specific regulations
- Ensure that periodic safety audits are conducted.
- Provides programs that ensure a safe workplace including safety orientations, skill training, emergency preparedness, proper job instruction, hazardous material disposal procedures, and the use of personal protective equipment.
- Develops a systemic process to collect data and analyze the causes of accidents and generate required reporting.
- Implements initiatives to reduce and prevent accidents, occupational illnesses, and exposure to long-term health hazards.
- Create/discuss reports with our Vice President.
- Manages a departmental sub-function within a broader departmental function.
2010 - 2016
Konecranes - Safety Manager
- Responsible for the development and coordination of safety programs and activities through worker contacts, observations, inspections, job safety analysis, audits, and accident investigations.
- Plan and conduct safety meetings. Conduct safety orientation for new employees or existing employees placed in new working environments. Track and maintain safety program and specific branch/factory safety programs.
- Review all reports involving accidents and near hits. Address all safety items and consult with managers for the solution and elimination of the safety hazards.
- Confer and communicate with management personnel including operations, maintenance, repair, material management, and planning to address safety concerns.
- Investigate, review, and respond to employee safety and health issues and prepare detailed reports of findings and recommendations. Interact with executive management and legal council on a regular basis on safety & health issues.
- Assure that all personnel is in compliance with OSHA and other applicable regulations. Maintain knowledge of current OSHA and other applicable standards. Converse with technicians to check for any unsafe working conditions.
- Inspect department equipment and work area for proper operations and safety requirements. Inspect work area to assure that prescribed repairs are completed satisfactorily.
- Perform safety audits. Coordinate emergency response drills and/or emergency action plans.
- Coordinate and consult with OSHA during incident investigations.
- Executive level reporting to include goal setting and attainment.
- Provide Executive level trending on injuries and corrective actions.
- Create, implement and follow-up on any safety procedures and practices as needed and where required by client or where State or Local laws are different from Region policies and procedures.
- Assist local management with creating and maintaining safety training records
- Assist managers and supervisors in the preparation of accident and incident investigation reports
- Lead the investigation and conduct Root Cause Analysis on all lost time injury/illness and/or significant near hit incidents.
- Conduct regular research on new trends and critical developments related and Safety and Health and share with all.
2007 til Present Expert Witness
- Provide technical investigations, analysis, reports and testimony toward the resolution of disputes and litigation involving personal injuries, property damage, and equipment malfunctions related to construction and industrial operations, maintenance, training, and safety procedures.
1992 - 2010 AK Steel - Safety Coordinator
- Responsible for all Safety and Health programs in a union environment for this heavy manufacturing location employing approximately 3000 employees and 1500 contractors. Interact with executive management on a regular basis on all safety & health issues. Set strategic goals and direction for safety program. Design and conduct audits to ensure all recognized hazards are identified and corrected. Conduct accident investigations.
- Credential holder for Certified Safety Professional (CSP) from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- Credential holder for Construction Health & Safety Technologist (CHST) from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- Credential holder for Safety Trained Supervisor (STS) from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- ISO 14001 Lead Auditor
- OHSAS 18001 Lead Auditor
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Training
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Training
- OSHA 500 Certified Trainer for Construction
- OSHA 501 Certified Trainer for General Industry
- Accident Investigation I & II
- Vehicle Dynamics
- Mechanical Maintenance
- OSHA 10 & 30 Construction
- OSHA 10 & 30 General Industry
- First Aid / CPR
- Qualified Trainer for Skid Steer Loader / Rough Terrain Fork Lift / Industrial Fork Lift / Aerial Lift
- American Society of Safety Engineers
- Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- National Safety Council
- Southwestern Ohio Safety Council
2014 – Asked by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals to sit on the panel to review the CHST examination.
2015 – Asked by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals to sit on the panel to review the STSC examination.
2016 - Asked by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals to sit on the panel to review the CHST examination