Expert Witness No. 1437
Prison and Jail Management, Research Methods Public Policy, Faculty and Administration
To provide expert witness services, sentencing mitigation consulting, case study, data analysis, policy consulting to attorneys, government agencies, colleges and universities, and research organizations.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
- Presents professional experience in correctional agency administration, policy and budgeting, litigation, and research
- Provides a combination of experience in research and teaching courses in corrections and criminal justice at both the undergraduate and graduate university levels
- Served over 30 years as a corrections administrator and professor
- Served 17 years as an expert witness
- Nationwide consultant practice
- Qualified as an expert witness in State and Federal courts
- Currently serves as a consultant member of the Institutional Review Board for the
- Protection of Humans Subjects, for the National Opinion Research Center, (NORC) of the University of Chicago
- CEO of a State Adult Correctional Institution for Women
- Division Chief, State Planning Agency for Corrections
- Author of Agency Policy and Procedure Manuals, and training materials
Criminal Justice Author, Consultant, Researcher and Trainer
- Authored Nebraska State Plan for Corrections
- Designed the Automated Law Enforcement and Jail Information System (ALEJIS) for small agencies
- Policy and Procedures, program plans, grants and evaluations
- Served as a technical assistance consultant for the National Jail Center of the National Institute of Justice (NIJ)
Expert Witness in State and Federal Court
Qualified and testified in areas of
- corrections standards of practices
- inmate assault
- prisoner medical care and standards
- in-custody deaths, inmate suicide
- sexual assault by staff/other prisoner
- conditions of confinement
- inmate supervision
- deliberate indifference
- strip/body cavity searches
- training of correctional staff
Teaching, Research, and Grants
- Teaching research methods and statistical analysis to Ph. D. level students the areas of Criminal Justice, Human Services, Health, and Public Health.
- Presented workshops and training seminars for researchers in the area of mixed methods research design.
- Developed and received grant funds to operate both research and action programs to implement innovative community practices in corrections, criminal and juvenile justice, and education.
- Served as Associate Director of the Social Science Research Computing Center supporting research in social science disciplines, public policy and large-scale national survey research projects.
- Served as Superintendent of State Correctional Institution for adult offenders.
- Served as the Chief of a State level Planning Agency with a budget of over $2 million dollars for planning, research, and program evaluation.
- Served as Graduate Degree Program Coordinator for the Masters Degree in Law Enforcement and Justice Administration at a regional university.
Consultant 2009 - Present
Criminal Justice Data Services, LLC. Chicago, IL 2003 - 2009
Walden University, Minneapolis, MN 2004 – 2010
- Faculty School of Health and Human Services,
- Criminal Justice Ph.D. Program
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 1999 - 2003
- Associate Director, Social Science Research Computing
VL & Associates, Nacogdoches, TX 1995 - 1999
Western Illinois University, Macomb, IL 1991 - 1995
- Associate Professor, Law Enforcement Administration 1993 - 1995
- Assistant Professor, Law Enforcement Administration 1991 - 1993
Stephen F Austin State University, Nacogdoches, TX 1989 - 1991
- Assistant Professor, Criminal Justice
Nebraska Commission on Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice 1988 - 1989
- Consultant, for the Law Enforcement and Jail Information System,
Nebraska Department of Correctional Services, York NE 1987 - 1988
- Superintendent, Nebraska Center for Women
University of Nebraska Kearney, Kearney, NE 1975 - 1986
- Assistant Professor Criminal Justice 1978 - 1989
- Instructor, Criminal Justice 1975 - 1978
Nebraska Commission on Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice 1973 - 1975
- Lincoln, NE., Chief, Corrections Division
Nebraska Dept. of Correctional Services 1970 - 1973
- Assistant Director Post Care Programs 1971 - 1973
- Parole Counselor and Program Coordinator 1970 - 1971
Ph.D. Human and Community Resources, Interdisciplinary studies in Education and Sociology, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska 1983
M. A. Adult and Continuing Education University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska 1975
B.G.S., Major: English. Minor: Political Science and Speech University of Nebraska Omaha, Omaha, Nebraska 1969
Certified Forensic Litigation Consultant, C.F.L.C., Jan. 29, 2016
Forensic Expert Witness Association,
PROFESSIONAL RESEARCH AND PUBLICATONS
Available upon request
- National Opinion Research Center Institutional Review Board, currently serving as the criminal justice advisor to the Institutional Review Board for the protection of human subjects in research 2001 to present.
- Forensic Expert Witness Association, Charter member Chicago Chapter, Served as member of the Board of Directors for the Chicago Chapter and the National Board of Directors, 2009 – 2012.
- Governors' Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee, Reviewed and awarded sub-grants to local agencies for projects in accordance with the Juvenile Justice Delinquency and Prevention Act block grant to Nebraska from 1986 -1988.
- Forensic Expert Witness association
- American Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- American Corrections Association
- North American Association of Computational, Social and Organizational Science
- Phi Delta Kappa
- Commander; 29th USA Missile Detachment, Codogne, Italy
- Commander, 301st USAR, Military Police Escort Guard Company
- Commander, Enclosure 1,403 MP PW Camp, USAR, Ft. Omaha, Omaha, NE
- Rank Captain, Honorable Discharge