Expert Witness No.2004
Specializing in weapons systems research, consulting, and litigation support. Technical areas include firearms, ballistics, ammunition, munitions, explosives, plus related crime & accident scene reconstruction, and intellectual property. Provided sworn testimony over 50 times in numerous US state & federal courts. Published & presented numerous research papers, and delivered many training seminars to attorneys, forensic scientists, engineers, law enforcement, and investigators. Certified Range Safety Officer and Pistol & Personal Protection Instructor.
Professional Qualifications & Memberships
- 2016 Diplomate; International Board of Forensic Engineering Sciences (D-IBFES)
- 2013 Fellow; American Academy of Forensic Sciences (F-AAFS)
- 2011 Fellow; Chartered Management Institute (FCMI)
- 2005 Member; International Society of Explosives Engineers (ISEE)
- 2001 Professional Licensed Member of National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- 2001 Registered Professional Engineer with FEANI (Eur Ing) (approx 30 countries)
- 2000 Member; American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- 1999 Fellow; Institution of Mechanical Engineers (FIMechE)
- 1997 Founder Member; Expert Witness Institute (MEWI) (past member)
- 1995 Vetted by the UK Law Society (expert consultant / expert witness)
- 1992 Member; Institute of Materials (MIM) (past member)
- 1992 Qualified as a Chartered Professional Engineer with the British Engineering Council (CEng)
Offices Held & Awards
- 2016 - 2017 AAFS, Engineering Sciences Section, Founder’s Award.
- 2016 - 2017 AAFS, Engineering Sciences Section, Chair.
- 2015 - 2016 AAFS, Engineering Sciences Section, Chair.
- 2014 - 2015 AAFS, Engineering Sciences Section, Secretary.
- 2009 - 2010 Indiana Society of Professional Engineers, State President.
- 2007 - Present Indiana Society of Professional Engineers, Anthony Wayne Chapter President.
2000 – Now
(technical & forensic research & consulting - firearms / munitions / reconstruction)
2000 – 2004
Adjunct Professor at Indiana Institute of Technology, lecturing advanced courses on BA & BSc degree programs.
1996 - 2000
Self-employed consultant in UK (technical, forensic, and business consulting)
United Kingdom Ministry of Defence, Whitehall, Westminster, London.
Scientist / professional engineer / project manager - working on guns, ammunition, missiles, rocketry, and energetic materials (explosives & pyrotechnics). Projects involved research, design, development, performance assessment, mid-life improvement, reverse engineering, and forensics.
- 1997 Henley Business School, Reading University /Henley Management College, Brunel University
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA)
- 1990 University of Greenwich, London, UK / Thames Polytechnic / Woolwich Polytechnic
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering (BEng: - with First Class Honors).
- Recognized in the US under the terms of the Washington Accord
Supplementary Education and Training
- 95-97 Courtroom skills and report writing training courses from Bond Solon and The Academy of Experts.
- 86-99 Various internal and external training courses in areas such as safety, procurement management, space technology, desert survival, counter terrorism tactics, risk management, etc.
- 86-92 Various military technology and tactics training courses undertaken at Royal Military College of Science - RMCS (Cranfield University Defence Academy of the UK). These included explosives technology, ordnance and munitions design, IED design & construction, plus extensive training in ammunition & ballistics (internal, intermediate, external, and terminal – including wound ballistics).
- 1982 Gateshead Technical College, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, United Kingdom.
- Non-destructive testing (NDT) technology (3 months). Radiographic, ultrasonic, MPI and dye penetrant techniques.
- 77-81 4 year engineering apprenticeship with British Steel Corporation. (CGLI & TEC qualifications)
Patents / Patent Applications
Plastic Tail Fin Unit
Describes new fin materials (and related manufacturing process) which improve long rod tank penetrator terminal performance, and reduce production costs. 9 July 1992.
Long Range Artillery Shell
Describes several 155mm artillery shell design concepts capable of extending maximum range to 60km. 31 July 1992.
Also creator of numerous inventions that were not submitted for patent protection due to security restrictions.
Partial (allowable) Listing of Research Papers (UK Government 1987 - 1999)
Sept 99 A Review of Non-Destructive Evaluation Techniques Suitable for Solid Propellant Rocket Motors. UK Government Publication.
Apr 99 A Review of Non-Destructive Evaluation Techniques Suitable for Solid Propellant Rocket Motors. UK Government Publication.
Plus at least 18 other bound UK government research / project papers with classified titles and classified content that cannot be divulged. Individuals with appropriate security clearances may obtain a full listing of titles, and copies, from: Defence Research Information Center, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX, United Kingdom.
Available upon request
Scientific Paper Presentations and Training Seminars Delivered
Presented over 40 continuing education courses and scientific papers between 2001 and 2014. Subjects have included firearms, ballistics, wound ballistics, tool mark comparison, ammunition, crime /accident scene reconstruction, explosives, destructive devices. Attendees have included law enforcement, investigators, attorneys, judges, engineers, scientists, medical professionals, law and forensic science students. Courses have been approved for continuing education credit in most states.
Continuing Education, Training, & Development (post 2001)
- Nov 01 Forensic Science conference at University of Louisville Law School.
- Sept 03 Death Penalty conference, Indianapolis.
- Oct 03 Conference; Ballistics; from the Shop Floor to the Courtroom, DePaul University, Chicago.
- Dec 03 Forensic Science training seminar, Indianapolis.
- Feb 04 Forensic Science training seminar, Indianapolis.
- Sept 04 Forensic Science for Investigators, Indianapolis.
- Apr 06 Forensic Science Symposium, Indianapolis.
- Apr 06 Indiana Society of Professional Engineers (ISPE) Annual Convention, Indianapolis, IN.
- May 06 Advanced Defensive Pistol Course.
- Sept 06 SIG Factory Certified Armorer Course.
- Oct 06 Forensic Investigation, Dr Henry C Lee, Carmel, Indiana.
- Feb 07 American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS) 59th Annual Scientific Meeting, San Antonio, TX.
- Apr 07 ISPE Annual Convention, Indianapolis IN.
- Jul 07 National Institute of Justice Annual Conference, Arlington VA.
- Jul 07 National Academy of Forensic Engineers (NAFE) Annual Conference, Denver CO.
- Feb 08 AAFS 60th Annual Scientific Meeting, Washington, DC.
- Apr 08 ISPE Annual Convention, Indianapolis, IN.
- Jul 08 NAFE Annual Convention, Portland, OR.
- Feb 09 AAFS 61st Annual Scientific Meeting, Denver, CO.
- May 09 ISPE Annual Convention, Indianapolis, IN.
- Jul 09 National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) Annual Convention, St Louis, MO.
- Jan 10 NAFE Training Seminar, New Orleans, LA.
- Feb 10 AAFS 62nd Annual Scientific Meeting, Seattle, WA.
- May 10 ISPE Annual Convention, Indianapolis IN.
- Feb 11 AAFS 63rd Annual Scientific Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Jan 12 NAFE Training Seminar, Miami Beach, FL.
- Feb 12 AAFS 64th Annual Scientific Meeting, Atlanta, GA.
- Oct 12 NLADA Life in the Balance Conference, St Louis, MO.
- Feb 13 AAFS 65th Annual Scientific Meeting, Washington DC.
- Jun 13 ISPE Annual Convention, Indianapolis, IN.
- Feb 14 AAFS 66th Annual Scientific Meeting, Seattle, WA.
- Feb 15 AAFS 67th Annual Scientific Meeting, Orlando, FL.
- Sept 15 AAFS ESS International Scientific Meeting, Toronto, Canada.
- Feb 16 AAFS 68th Annual Scientific Meeting, Las Vegas, NV.
- Jun 17 ISPE Annual Convention, Indianapolis, IN.
Achievements & Activities
- Court qualified expert in numerous states, & US Federal Courts.
- One of the youngest people to be elected to Fellowship of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- My expert report format was adopted by the Academy of Experts.
- Secretary to UK explosives safety, performance, and compatibility committees (95-98).
- NRA Certified Range Safety Officer.
- NRA Certified pistol and personal protection instructor.
- SIG Factory Certified Law Enforcement Armorer (2006 to 2009)