Expert Witness No.1772
Trauma biomechanics, accident reconstruction, human factors, injury mechanisms, human kinematics, vehicular accidents, materials science & failure analysis, vision/visibility, properties of biological tissues, video analysis, microscopy, and human-environment interaction.EDUCATION
- Ph.D. - University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC Biomedical Engineering. 2001.
- B.S. - University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC Applied and Materials Science, minor in Chemistry. 1998.EXPERIENCE
- Principal Consulting Scientist and Biomedical Engineer – Private Firm, FL. Specializing in analysis of accidents involving the nature of human injury, injury causation, visibility analysis, and analysis of injury severity consistent with the physics of the accident situation. Qualified as an expert witness by both federal and state courts across the United States. Work Experience: ~50% plaintiff, ~50% defense cases.
- Biomedical Engineer and Accident Reconstructionist – Private Engineering and Failure
- Analysis, Company. Scientific analysis of vehicular accidents; structural & material failures; forensic biomechanics.
- Post Doctoral Fellow – National High Magnetic Field Lab, Tallahassee, FL.
- Near-field scanning optical microscopy.
- Post Doctoral Fellow – Department of Physics UNC-Chapel Hill. Research and design on a three-dimensional force microscope with emphasis on understanding human tissues response to forces.
- Research Assistant. Department of Physics UNC -CH. Designed and built several laser based computerized force microscopy instruments.
- Research Assistant. Experimental Cardiology Group UNC -CH. Ischemia-induced ventricular fibrillation of porcine hearts, with 3-dimensional reconstruction of the heart.
- Injury Causation – medical records, experimental testing, computer modeling, and extensive knowledge of human injury tolerance allows for a correlation to be made between a claimed injury and the physics of a specific accident environment.
- Biomechanics – determination of the forces and movement of the human body (occupant kinematics and biokinetics) for frontal, side-impact, rear-impact, sideswipe, and rollover vehicular accidents, including helmet, seat-belt, and air bag analysis. Fall Analysis.
- Accident Reconstruction - Reconstruction of automobile, heavy truck, bus, heavy equipment, tractor trailers, trains, motorcycles , ATVs, bicycles, and pedestrian accidents. This includes the analysis of accident events and physical evidence to determine causation, critical accident events, sequence of events, compliance with procedures, and injury mechanisms. Typical projects include vehicular, construction, and slip/trip & fall accidents.
- Seat Belt Analysis – Materials analysis of physical evidence to determine if seat belts were operational, if occupants were wearing their seat belts, and if injuries may have been mitigated through the use of seat belts.
- Product Failure Analysis – analysis of specific projects with regard to materials failure, fatigue, corrosion, safety and design.
- Computer based accident reconstruction and simulations – using HVE, EDCrash, PC Crash, EDSMAC, MADYMO and other physics based simulation programs.
- Crash testing - data acquisition, crush analysis and reduction.
- Investigative services - Scene investigation, surveys, and drawings, skid analysis, photography, vehicle inspection, damage analysis, vehicle dynamics.
- Photogrammetry of digital and scanned photos using a variety of CAD programs and Photomodeler to analyze skid patterns, crush depths, and accident scenes.
- Finite element analysis – using state of the art mechanical modeling programs.
- Human factor analysis – human perception and reaction times, visibility analysis, warnings.
PROFESSIONAL A FFILIATIONS
- Physics: Electricity and Magnetism
- Physics: Relativity and Quantum Mechanics
- Accident Reconstruction
- Physics: Mechanics
- Pnysics: Analog Electronics
- Medial training, Anatomy and Physiology
- Injury Causation and Analysis Finite Element Analysis
- Math: Probablility and Statistics
- Math: Calculus I, II, III, Linear algebra and diff. equations
- Biomaterials, Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Electronics (analog and digital)
- Biomedical Instrumentation
- Tissue Engineering
- Molecular Physiology
PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, AND TALKSAvailable Upon Request
- BMES – Biomedical Engineering Society.
- ASB – American Society of Biomechanics .
- ASTM – American Society for Testing and Materials
- SAE – Society of Automotive Engineers.
- AAAM – Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicin e
CONFERENCE AND COURSE ATTENDANCEAvailable Upon Request
HONORS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Certified Accident Reconstructionist by the Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction,
ACTAR #Available Upon Request
- National Child Passenger Safety (CPS) board certification,
CPS #Available Upon Request
- 2012 Volunteer of Year, Business/Government Agency Category,
34th Anniversary Winner.
- Low Speed Rear Impact Auto Crash Reconstruction certification.
- Outstanding Academic Performance - Bayer Corporation Award.
- Award Recipient for the National Biomedical Engineering Symposium.
- Eagle Scout - Boy Scouts of America.
Similar Court Testimony Experts