PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
Managing partner of consulting organization specializing in railroad & rail transit safety & operations.
Subject matter expert on:
- Safety & operations of general railroads, commuter railroads, light rail & other transit rail systems;
- State & Federal regulations governing railroad, commuter rail, light rail & other transit rail systems promulgated by the:
- Federal Railroad Administration
- Federal Transit Administration
- California Public Utilities Commission;
- Rail System Safety Management standards & protocols;
- American Public Transportation Association (APTA) standards & recommended practices;
- Highway/Rail at-grade crossing configurations & safety;
- Federal grade crossing “Quiet Zone” assessments & applications;
- Grade crossing site diagnoses & safety assessments;
Develop & implement passenger rail & rail transit safety & security management plans in accordance with state & federal regulations & industry best management practices.
Assist with creation of Program Management Plan for development, design & construction of new passenger rail system, including:
- Safety & Security Management during design & construction.
- Safety & Security Certification plan development & implementation.
- Configuration Safety Management plan development & implementation.
- Executive management resource on matters relating to railroad safety & regulatory requirements.
Assisted & advised CEO & executive staff on management & safe utilization of locomotive & rolling stock lease fleet.
Supervised field safety & operations.
Managed implementation of Carl Moyer Program locomotive low-emissions upgrades.
Responsible for delivery of safe, efficient & reliable passenger rail transportation within Amtrak's Southwest Division, including:
- Pacific Surfliner intercity trains between San Luis Obispo, Los Angeles & San Diego.
- Coast Starlight long distance train between Los Angeles & San Luis Obispo.
- Southwest Chief long distance train between Los Angeles & Dodge City, KS.
- Sunset Limited long distance train between Los Angeles & Beaumont, TX.
- Texas Eagle long distance train between Los Angeles, San Antonio & Longview, TX.
- Heartland Flyer intercity trains between Ft. Worth, TX & Oklahoma City, OK.
Lead a team of approximately 400 craft & management employees deployed across seven Southwestern states.
Managed an annual budget of approximately $62 million.
Responsible for operational safety & efficiency; regulatory & operating rules compliance; employee training & qualifications; labor & union relations; management & implementation of collective bargaining agreements; management of service delivery costs, payroll & budget; crew deployment & staffing; field & on-board oversight, incident investigations, corrective action plans & remedial training.
Accountable for fuel management & conservation, environmental compliance & awareness, implementation of safety program plans & training.
- Designed & implemented comprehensive passenger railroad system safety management program; guided & oversaw agency & contractor adherence with state & federal railroad safety regulations, operating rules, safe operating practices & NCTD’s Rail System Safety Program Plan.
- Managed service quality & contract oversight program for train operations, maintenance-of-way, mechanical & passenger services. Performed & documented independent evaluations & audits of agency & service contractors to assess performance quality & verify contract compliance; developed & implemented structured corrective action plans when necessary to address deficiencies. Forged partnerships between NCTD, contractor & regulatory agency staffs to foster cooperative adherence to contract specifications, the Rail System Safety Program Plan & regulatory requirements.
- Managed & directed the development, implementation & enforcement of safe railroad operating rules & practices. Served as SDNR representative on the joint SDNR/SCRRA Timetable/Special Instructions Committee. Member, General Code of Operating Rules Committee representing SDNR.
- Liaison with Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) & California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) for matters of SDNR/COASTER operations & safety. Forged & maintained ongoing productive working relationships with regulatory field inspectors & program managers.
- Monitored industry & government rail safety initiatives, programs, rulemaking & legislation. Provided input on various APTA, FRA, & TSA proposals for standards &/or rulemaking. Advised executive management & Board of Directors on these elements & their potential impacts on NCTD/SDNR. Acted as Initial Project Manger for NCTD’s Positive Train Control implementation initiative.
- Developed & implemented comprehensive SDNR Passenger Train Emergency Response Plan in compliance with FRA Part 239 requirements.
- Investigated incidents, accidents, service quality anomalies & regulatory/rules compliance deficiencies. Performed root-cause analyses, tracked & evaluated trends, verified proper regulatory documentation & developed recommendations to address discrepancies, deficiencies & failures.
- Liaison with corridor partners Amtrak, BNSF, Metrolink, Rail America, San Diego Trolley & WATCO. Assisted in the management of shared-use agreements & issues. Assisted Executive Management with development of agency positions on LOSSAN Corridor & regional transportation issues.
- Developed & implemented SDNR Contractor Safety Training Program covering critical railroad environment safety for non-railroad personnel working in or around the SDNR right-of-way.
- Acting Manager of Commuter Rail Services for six months in 2002 & again for 8 months during 2004-2005 covering extended absence of assigned manager.
- Directly responsible for management of safe & efficient daily operations including productivity & rules compliance; supervised up to 14 daily yard, on-dock, interchange & road switcher jobs.
- Continuously evaluated employee performance & conducted field training/coaching to maintain or improve safety, quality job performance, productivity, & to promote positive employee morale.
- Coordinated with Marine Terminals, ILWU Dock Bosses & Steamship Lines to classify intermodal traffic within tightly-controlled work windows.
- Worked closely with BNSF & Union Pacific operations management to develop daily work plans, resolve conflicts & problems, & coordinate the efficient flow of rail traffic into & out of the Ports.
- Jointly supervised BNSF & Union Pacific trains & crews operating over PHL territory.
- Liaison with PHL customers for development of individualized service plans.
- Developed & maintained productive working relationships with union-represented T&E crews while interpreting, respecting & enforcing agreement terms & provisions.
- Assistant Trainmaster & Yardmaster
- Assisted with development of customer service design & implementation.
- Managed rail yard operations to ensure system fluidity & quality customer service, including:
- Organizing yard track customer/commodity assignments to minimize yard switching tasks.
- Car inventory management, tracking & documentation.
- Developing daily work plan for customer pulls & spots.
- Assigning & distributing daily work orders to individual jobs to ensure the timely performance of customer pull & spot requests.
- Directing & planning work for yard switch jobs.
- Arranged & coordinated daily interchange trains with Union Pacific & BNSF.
- Managed motive power:
- Optimized power assignments for each job based on highest productivity & best economy.
- Coordinated with Mechanical Dept. to manage motive power availability & serviceability.
- Train Dispatcher
- Coordinated, supervised & directed all PHL, Union Pacific & BNSF train movements over PHL-controlled rail lines in the Port of Long Beach & Port of Los Angeles.
- Coordinated & planned daily train line-ups with BNSF & UP Corridor Managers to ensure proper prioritizing of Port traffic.
- Dispatched CTC & DTC territories using Computer-Aided Dispatching application.
- Maintained daily train sheets & other FRA-required documentation.
- Managed & supervised locomotive overhaul & refurbishment program.
- Managed & supervised Company's railroad logistics, switching & interchange operations at US Naval Weapons Station railroad at Seal Beach, CA.
- Managed & supervised safe, efficient in-plant railcar switching operations at the Company’s 150-acre rail yard facility in Colton.
- Managed & supervised locomotive & passenger car repair, modification & upgrade programs.
- Assisted with management & oversight of freight car repair shop, derailment response activities & railcar dismantling operations.
- Bachelor of Arts, Marketing & Public Relations
- California State University, Long Beach – 1985
- Global Logistics Specialist
- Post-Graduate Professional Certification Program
- CSU Long Beach, Center for International Trade & Transportation – 1999
- Continuing Update Training on state & federal railroad regulatory requirements.
- Current General Code of Operating Rules qualification.
- Current Part 240 locomotive engineer certification.
- No infractions, violations or decertifiable events.
Similar Court Testimony Experts