Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Commercial Aircraft Operations – Part 119, Repair Station Operators – Part 145, Regularly Scheduled Air Carriers – Part 121, Charter-Type Services – Part 135, Maintenance Repair Organization (MRO), A & P License; Aviation Safety Certification Expert Witness, Cargo Loading, Cargo Safety, Identification of Dangerous Cargo Goods, Cargo Losses, Aircraft Conformity Configuration Control, Team Leadership, Airframe, Powerplant, Propeller, Radio, Instrument, Accessory,
Highly Experienced Aviation Services Professional with progressive experience developing plans, applying best- practices, and implementing systems to enhance operations and achieve corporate goals. Possess specific expertise in requirements for compliance in regulated environments. Create value added processes by integrating technology and analytical methods with people skills. Self-directed leader who can work effectively with cross-functional teams and cultivate strong relationships with all stakeholders. Committed to collaborative problem solving, disciplined decision making, and providing the highest level of customer service.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Project Management
• Lean / Continuous improvement
• Customer Relations
• Quality Assurance • FAA Compliance • Budget & Cost Control
• ISO Standards • Value Stream Mapping • Safety Programs
• Aircraft Maintenance • Cont. Analysis/Surveillance • Training
• Published author • Aircraft Conformity – Configuration Control • Team Leadership
121 passenger air carrier
Managing Director of Quality Control (Part 119 Chief Inspector) • Dec 2017 to May 2020
• Responsible to the VP of Maintenance for oversight and leadership of the air carrier maintenance quality unit, CASS internal evaluation, Records Dept., Maintenance Programs Dept., and Training Dept. . Adapted operations to IOSA, System Safety and SMS supported processes. Established new processes and organizational changes resulting in daily performance improvements in areas such CASS, Maintenance programs and aircraft fleet recordkeeping as well as improved safety and regulatory compliance. Updated and implemented improved required inspections listing and training requirements, Implemented aircraft type technical training, Installed hangar standards and aircraft package controls. Installed and maintained risk analysis control and activities to assure system changes were carried out effectively. Assured overall Quality program effectiveness through oversight and effective use of internal audit. Managed oversight and control of maintenance contractor approval and their performance on heavy check aircraft.
RAVN ALASKA dba CORVUS AIRLINES, Anchorage, AK • Dec 2014 to July 2017
VP of Quality Control (Part 119 Chief Inspector)
• Responsible to the VP of Maintenance for oversight and leadership of the air carrier maintenance quality unit. Adapted operations to System Safety and SMS supported processes. Established new processes and organizational changes resulting daily performance improvements in areas such CASS required inspections, training, hangar standards and aircraft package controls. Installed and maintained risk analysis control and activities to assure system changes were carried out effectively.
SILVER AIRWAYS (PART121), Gainesville, FL • Aug 2012 to Dec 2014
Regional Air Carrier providing scheduled passenger services
Director of Quality Control (Part 119 Chief Inspector)
• Responsible to the VP of Maintenance for oversight and leadership of the air carrier maintenance quality unit. Adapted operations to System Safety and SMS supported processes. Established new processes and organizational changes resulting daily performance improvements in areas such required inspections, training, hangar standards and aircraft package controls.
• Oversaw and created systems changes supporting IOSA Certification as well as implementing CASE program for OMP management. Oversaw implementation of TRAX asset management software.
HERITAGE MAINTENANCE SERVICES (Part 145), S. Burlington, VT • Aug 2011 to July 2012
Corporate and Air Carrier Maintenance Repair Organization
Responsible to the VP of Maintenance Service for Quality Controls and Quality Assurance functions supporting daily aircraft repair and heavy maintenance.
• Updated and added ratings and Operations Specification supporting MRO growth.
• Developed internal standards for return to service and inspection.
• Responsible for approved training program
• FAA liaison for the repair station.
AVMAX MONTANA, INC. (Part 145), Great Falls, MT • Sept. 2010 – Aug. 2011
Regional Airline Maintenance Repair Organization
Director of Quality
Responsible to the Director of Operations for development of a Quality organization supporting rapid growth of the business in its Great Falls, Montana facility as well a satellite facility in Jacksonville, FL.
• Created an assessment of the quality state of the organization then lead the plan for implementation of an improved quality system. The end result was installation into the CASE registry
• Instigated policy and procedures revisions that created higher standards and efficiencies for return to service.
• Reassigned personnel to fit new roles and responsibilities.
• Installed improved Quality Assurance standards and created more effective corrective actions based on root cause
• Developed a training organization supporting aircraft systems training as well as internal process and procedure instruction.
WAYFARER AVIATION, INC. (PART 135), Weymouth, MA • 2008 – 2010
Leading national provider of private aviation services, charter and aircraft management.
Director of Quality Control
Lead all quality control functions to include inspection, risk based quality assurance; continuous analysis and surveillance; SMS coordination; operations specifications management; policy, process and procedures development and implementation; training and records keeping activities; maintenance programs and aircraft conformity. Designated as an FAA liaison for the Maintenance Department.
EMPIRE AERO CENTER (Part 145), Rome, NY • 2004 – 2007
Maintenance Repair Organization (MRO).
Director of (Lean) Continuous Improvement (2007)
Implemented continuous improvement concepts including lean manufacturing processes. Developed analysis methods for measuring performance. Facilitated continuous improvement events (kaizen) utilizing employee participation to solve systemic problems, resulting in improved MRO performance. Directed aircraft systems training, customer training, and company management training supporting a quality culture.
Director of Quality Control (2004 – 2007)
Supervised Quality Assurance, Technical Publications, Inspection and Training Departments supporting heavy check inspection of large transport category aircraft. Developed continuous improvement initiatives for the repair station quality management program to support air carrier customer quality requirements. Served as FAA liaison and managed repair station operation specifications and capabilities development. Managed company ISO compliance activities including investigations of non- conformances and implementation of corrective actions to applicable processes and procedures. Oversaw company safety program.
• Succeeded in acquiring an unlimited rating for MRO services that created new business opportunities and created increased asset value for the facility.
EVERGREEN INTERNATIONAL AIRLINES (Part 121), McMinnville, OR • 1990 – 2004
Part 121 Air Carrier that provides air cargo transportation.
Director of Quality, Safety and Internal Evaluation (1998 – 2004) (Part 119 Director of Safety)
Established an effective Accident/Incident Prevention program and Internal Evaluation Program. Created credible organizational standards that supported Quality and Safety objectives directed by the company president. Directed process and procedural changes from internal investigations. Served as liaison to FAA on regulatory matters for flight and maintenance safety and compliance; and as incident and accident investigator on flight safety related incidents involving maintenance or flight operations. Orchestrated the Flight Data Management Program (FOQA). Managed Security Department including the development of a secure intranet website to support ground security coordinators, flight crews, and management worldwide.
Designated Aircraft Operator Security Coordinator (AOSC) and liaison to TSA. Established risk management program for the Evergreen Supertanker Program. Conducted initial and recurrent safety training for flight crews.
Director of Quality Control and Quality Assurance (1993 – 1998) (Part 119 position Chief Inspector)
Created improved internal standards supporting improved compliance performance within the air carriers operations. Responsible multiple departments including; Training, Quality Assurance, Inspection and Technical Publications. Managed quality inspectors supporting aircraft line and heavy check operations. Developed maintenance policy and processes. Handled acceptance and registration of new aircraft by FAA in support of business opportunities.
Experience prior to 1993
Held progressively responsible positions including Line Mechanic, QC Auditor, Maintenance Controller, Aircraft Inspector including NDT, Maintenance Control Supervisor, and Manager Maintenance Planning, B-747 Maintenance Planner (Evergreen)
• Spartan School of Aeronautics – Airframe and Powerplant Technician
• Continuing education courses: Maintenance Planning, Maintenance Cost Analysis,
• Non-Destructive Testing (UT Level 2), Aircraft Familiarization on B747 (80 hours) and DC-9 (40 hours) aircraft
• Numerous seminars and workshops: Human Factors in Aviation, Aviation Safety Programs Management, Crew Resource Management, McDonnell Douglas Course: Aircraft Reliability
• Dangerous Goods
• Ground and Simulator Training for Flight Engineer B747 (120 hours) (passed FAA FE written)
• Lean Processes / Kaizan Training
• Gen Fam courses – B-747, DC-9, DHC-8, DHC-6, Shorts SD-330
CERTIFICATIONS – A & P License; Aviation Safety Certification – Embry Riddle University; Emergency Planning and Response Management Certificate – IATA (40 hours)
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS – Chair and Vice Chair, National Air Carrier Association Safety Council; Member, Air Transport Association Safety Council; Member, Cargo Airline Association Security Committee; Air Cargo Implementation Program (ACIP) Working Group Chairman; Member of International Society of Aviation Safety Investigators; AMT Journal (contributor)
MILITARY SERVICE – U.S. Air Force – Honorable Discharge