Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
ATV, UTV, Accidents, Safety, Training, Operating, Off-Highway Vehicles, Snowmobiles, All Terrain Vehicles, Quads, Four Wheelers, Motorcycle Dirt Bikes, Dual Sport Motorcycles, Side by Sides, Recreation, Standard of Care Trail, Route Maintenance, Construction Mechanical Maintenance, Management, Practices, Recreational Facilities, Tours, Accident Reconstruction, OHV Trail Design, Mechanical Maintenace
A Court-Qualified Expert Witness in both State and Federal Courts, Expert has served as a Legal Consultant and Expert Witness in over 81 legal cases during the past 13 years. Attorneys have sought his expertise in diverse areas, including the following:
- Standard of care, including the reasons ATV and UTV safety training is essential for vehicle operator safety. These vehicles provide the illusion of stability. Manufacturers have not always been forthcoming about the inherent dangers, characteristics and limitations of ATVs / UTVs and how these integral factors can relate to accidents and injuries.
- Standard of care regarding safety and training concerns about riding or operating off-highway vehicles (OHVs) of all kinds (snowmobiles, ATVs (all-terrain vehicles) / quads / four wheelers / motorcycle dirt bikes, dual sport motorcycles and UTVs / side by sides), for recreation and work.
- Standard of care concerning trail / route maintenance / construction and mechanical maintenance of all types of OHVs, including regarding safety and the prevention of accidents and injuries.
- Standard of care issues regarding the management and practices of recreational facilities and tours using OHVs of all types, particularly concerning safety training of customers / guests to prevent accidents and injuries. This includes appropriate maintenance of routes customers / guests travel.
Accidents and injuries related to professional and personal off-road use of the following:
- ATVs / quads / all-terrain vehicles
- UTVs / side by sides / utility terrain vehicles
- Motorcycle dirt bikes / motocross / cross country / etc.
- Dual sport motorcycles / street motorcycles
- Mountain Bicycles
- Other OHVs
Accident reconstruction. Depending on your needs, Expert can help reconstruct the scene and details of an accident.
OHV trail construction and maintenance methods that either prevent or contribute to accidents
Expert in creation and presentation of safety training and instruction classes for riding and operating a wide assortment of off highway vehicles (OHVs) including ATVs, quads, motorcycle dirt bikes, dual sport motorcycles, UTVs, side by sides, snowmobiles and other off-highway vehicles. Expert designed the only OHV training program to help riding instructors relate to a variety of behavioral and learning styles to ensure that teaching achieves excellent results.
Expert in OHV trail design, construction and maintenance, including for closed course competition
Expert in mechanical maintenance of OHVs
Recognized as a preferred off-road educational trainer by the All-Terrain Vehicle Association and the American Motorcyclist Association
Senior Instructor, OHV Training (2004-Present)
Expert provides beginning, intermediate, and advanced OHV training to recreational riders, corporate and governmental employees, law enforcement, and military personnel.
Expert also designed and conducts train-the-trainer programs that prepare instructors to train other operators of OHV.
Expert also provides instruction and consultation services regarding OHV trail design, trail maintenance, and trail construction, including for closed course competition.
Expert has repeatedly been hired and received positive evaluations from an impressive client list that includes the following.
- U.S. Army Special Forces
- U.S. Marines Special Operations
- U.S. Air Force Special Forces
- U.S. Naval Special Warfare
- U.S. Special Operations Command
- U.S. Defense Threat Reduction Agency
- U.S. Department of Defense Police
- U.S. Air Force Red Horse
- U.S. Forest Service, multiple years and types of vehicles
- U.S. Coast Guard
- U.S. Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- U.S. Marine Base Hawaii
- U.S. Army
- U.S. Military Training Center (Yakima Training Center in Washington), multiple years and types of vehicles
- U.S. Air Guard
- U.S. Parks Service, multiple years and types of vehicles
- U.S. Department of the Interior
- U.S. Bureau of Reclamation
- U.S. Border Patrol
- U.S. Military Police, multiple branches, years and types of vehicles
- U.S. Federal Aviation Administration
- U.S. Bureau of Land Management, multiple years and types of vehicles
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, multiple years and types of vehicles
- U.S. Weather Service
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), including most of the NRCS field personnel across the state of Montana, multiple years and types of vehicles
- U.S. Military Base, Fort Knox
- T-Mobile U.S.A., multiple years and types of vehicles
- Quest Communications
- Honda U.S.A., multiple years, training Honda ATV test riders (Honda employees who test new machine models)
- Tucson Power Company
- Schweitzer Mountain Ski Resort, multiple types of vehicles
- Midway Gold Corporation
- Green Mountain Power Plant
- Los Angeles County, California
- Muckleshoot Indian Reservation
- Search and Rescue Personnel, multiple years and types of vehicles
- Sheriff’s Offices, multiple years and types of vehicles
- Idaho Water Science Center
- HighMount Exploration and Production
- Kinder Morgan Natural Gas Pipeline Company, multiple types of vehicles
- Casa Grande Ruins National Monument
- A wide array of individual clients of all ages, regarding using all of the different types of OHV
- As a Court-Qualified Expert Witness in various State and Federal Courts, Expert provides legal consulting and expert witness services. See page one of this document.
Research and Development Associate with Penton Motorcycles
Instructed mechanics at Penton’s Service Schools for the National Dealers Network.
Associate in Research and Development for several companies during his professional racing career. The corporations included Sach, Puch, Herculys, Maico, and Can Am.
Expert has a usually broad base of mechanical knowledge. As a world-wide competitor, he was known as one of the few international competitors who could build and modify his own racing equipment, including on-site.
Trail Design, Construction, and Maintenance
Completed over 75 miles of government construction and heavy maintenance projects as well as thousands of miles of light maintenance on multiple-use trails (OHV trails used by mountain bicycle riders, hikers, horseback riders, and motorized recreational vehicles).
18 years of trail design and heavy maintenance for various entities, including the Idaho State Department of Parks and Recreation, such as the Hungarian Ridge Trail (11 miles), the Snowline Trail (8 miles,) the Brown’s Creek Trail (9.9 miles), the Eagle Creek trail (7 miles), and the Warm Springs Creek Trail (7 miles). Also constructed a one-of-a-kind nature trail for blind hikers (2 miles) around Mores Mt. in the Boise National Forest.
Originated the Idaho State Trail Ranger and Trail Cat programs. Served as that state’s first operator and builder of trails to accommodate 48″ off-highway vehicles.
Other Professional Activities
Co-owner, operator, and lead mechanic of a retail store selling OHVs and street bikes (Idaho Bike Imports, in Boise, Idaho) for about 27 years.
Salesperson and research and development associate in the Research and Development national office of Penton Motorcycles. Also served as one of their international U.S. team racers during that time period (1970-1974).
Created and directed a motocross school teaching skills and techniques specific to motocross racing competitions.
Designed and created motocross courses, some of which were used for international competition.
ACCODALES AND AWARDS
Inducted into the American Motorcycle Association International Hall of Fame for on and off-course expertise in 2007.
Honored as a “Cross-Country Legend” in 2008 by the AHRMA national organization.
Winner of multiple awards and trophies in Observed Trials, Motocross, Class C, and all types of long-distance cross-country racing in some of the most rugged terrain around the world during 28 years of professional competition.
Winner of five gold medals for the U.S. during AMA/FIM-sanctioned International Six Day Trials / Enduro competitions (the Olympics of Motorcycling).
Awarded the prestigious Count Lurani Trophy.
Named “Enduro Rider of the Year” by Motorcycle Magazine.
Over 51 years of experience riding tough terrain around the world under strict time constraints. Raced over 150,000 miles during 28 years of competition in Europe and North America while sponsored as a competitor for the U.S.
Support letters from attorneys are available upon request.