Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Human Factors, Pilot Training, Pilot Error, Air Carrier Accidents, Corporate Jet, Airline Flight Crew, Aircraft Safety Risk Assessment, Airline Pilot, Airplane, In-Flight Turbulence, Aircraft Structural Failure, Corporate Jet Flight Crews, Aviation Accidents, Business Jets, Aviation Biz Jets, CRM, Crew Resource Management, Failure Analysis, Pilot, Pilot Emotional Intelligence, Aviation Psychology, Civil Aviation, General Aviation, Aviation Safety, Runway Incursion, Crew Coordination, Training Accidents, Training Failures, Pilot Qualifications, Pilot Medical Problems, Aircraft Accidents, Corporate Jet Accidents, Pilot Attitude Problems, Pilot Professional Standards, Failure to Maintain Pilot Professional Standards, Pilot Fatigue, Fatigue-Related Aircraft Accidents, Failure to Maintain Pilot Qualifications, Flight Crew Sexual Harassment Issues, Flight Crew Communication Failure, Air Traffic Control, Air Traffic Control Failure to Communicate
AVIATION EXPERT WITNESS, CONSULTANT, AND RELATED EXPERTISE
(Details For All Cases Upon Request)
As your Expert Witness, I Bring 35 years of Aviation Experience as:
- A Major Airline Captain with
- International, World-wide, multi-cultural experience
- Designated FAA Line Check Captain
- Pilot Instructor
- Captain for NetJets, The World’s Largest Corporate Jet Charter Company
- A Licensed Professional Counselor with a former private practice that
- Consisted of airline flight crews and aviation professionals
- This is a Unique, Powerful Combination
- Of Aviation Expert Witness skills that give me the kind of
- Psychological and emotional tools that provides insights into the makeup of aviation professionals
My specialty is assessing the Emotional Intelligence of individuals that may have led to an aircraft accident or incident
- I give you in-depth assessments of individuals in an aviation case that may have
- Involved pilot error, inter-personal conflict or other “human factor” related issues
- Based on my 10 Years of Experience as a Licensed Professional Counselor and
- 6 Years as a Certified Leader of a Powerful Men’s Personal Leadership Training
- This Experience helps bring quicker, more accurate, less costly resolution to cases
In addition when you hire me you get:
- Expert Aviation Witness experience
- 16000 hours flying experience as a TWA Captain
- NetJets Captain (World’s largest Corporate Jet Charter Company)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (MO, FL, NM)
- Professional Standards Committee Chairman Airline Pilots Assoc (ALPA)
- Professional Standards Committee Chairman (NetJets)
- Designated FAA Line Check Airman and Instructor Pilot
- Current Certified CFI (FAA Certified Flight Instructor)
- Aviation Industry Consultant
- Author, Aviation Writer, Podcaster
I HAVE BEEN AN AVIATION WITNESS EXPERT FOR:
MARIA A. CARUANA, ESQ: Hired to research and provide expert opinion for the defense on a case involving a Major Airline First Officer who was injured in an automobile accident.
ERIN JORDAN: Hired for the defense on a case involving a Major Airline Captain’s medical incapacitation, deposed on 10/15/21
- PrivateAviation, 2004. I was hired as an Expert Aviation Consultant to work with Sheryl Barden, CEO of Aviation Personnel International, to investigate a private jet captain who was purported to be conducting private jet flights recklessly while endangering the lives of his high-profile clients. (Details upon request)
- Hired as an expert witness as a TWA Captain in a case involving a pilot injured in a helicopter accident. The case involved investigating the details of the accident and follow up personal counseling, as a Licensed Professional Counselor, to the pilot when it was discovered that he was suffering from PTSD. This resulted in my attesting to his competency and ability to return to flying duty.
- Eastern Airlines (EAL) PEER program (Pilot Employment and Referral Service), Miami, FL. I was hired to determine the need for counseling and intervention to relieve stress as a result of the deterioration of Eastern Airline pilots working conditions during Frank Lorenzo’s takeover of EAL.
- US Airways Professional Standards Committee, Pittsburg, PA. I was hired to teach principles of stress reduction to the US Airways pilot and flight attendant Professional Standard Committee Chairmen in their dealings with line pilot and flight attendant behavior problems.
TWA CAPTAIN: 1966-1992: 16000 hours flying experience, Captain, First Officer, Flight Engineer. A/C types: DC3, B707, L1011, MD80/DC9, CE 525, CE 650, G200.
DESIGNATED FAA LINE CHECK AIRMAN TWA: 1989 – 1992, MD80/DC9
SAUDI ARABIA SPECIAL ASSIGNMENT, CAD License # TA325, 1976-1977
NOTE: As a Designated FAA Line Check Airman I was concurrently a Missouri Licensed Professional Counselor with a private practice in St. Louis, MO where I was based with TWA.
Because of my background as a Licensed Professional Counselor, my chief pilot often assigned me pilots who were having trouble upgrading from First Officer to Captain. The outcomes were extremely positive and, in two cases, I was able to help save the pilots careers.
TWA AIRLINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION (ALPA)
TWA/ALPA PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN: 1986-1989. (Professional Standards is the committee that oversees and intervenes in anything involving pilot behavior that impacts the safety of flight, i.e. behavioral problems, alcoholism, drugs, etc.)
TWA/ALPA CHAIRMAN, FAMILY AWARENESS COMMITTEE: January 1990-November, 1992
TWA/ALPA SECOND OFFICER REPRESENTIVE: 1973-1976
NETJETS GULFSTREAM AND CITATION JET CAPTAIN: 4/2000 – 12/2009, 4000 hours flying experience. Transported high net worth individuals, i.e., heads of state, professional athletes, celebrities, corporate executives, etc.
NETJETS PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN: Teamsters Union, 2001-2003. I developed the NetJets Professional Standards Committee and was the first chairman of the committee.
FAA CERTIFIED GOLD SEAL FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR (current)
CIVIL AIR PATROL, Instructor pilot, Taos, NM squadron: 1996-2000
SOLAIRUS AERO: Chief pilot, 2003. Since then Solairus has become one of the largest – at last count approximately 230 aircraft under management – and most successful high-end jet charter and management companies.
AIRCRAFT SIMULATOR INSTRUCTOR: Aircraft Simulator Training, 3581 Westwind Blvd, Santa Rosa, CA. 94903. 2016-2018.
PILOT, Kelleher Lumber Company, 2018-2020, on call.
PILOT INTERVIEW PREP SPECIALIST Aviation Consulting Services. 2000 – 2001. Interviewed, coached and prepared pilot applicants for major air carrier interviews and testing.
- 1989 and 1993: Speaker, Fifth and Seventh International Symposium on Aviation Psychology, Ohio State University.
- 1987: Speaker, ALPA Professional Standards Committee Meeting, “A Counseling Methodology to Solving Pilot Behavior Problems”
- Articles published
- Airline Pilot magazine, 1989-1992
- Aviation International News, (AIN online) 2001-2003
- Air Inc and other pilot career prep magazines
- Newspaper columnist, St. Louis Suburban Journal, 1992-1996
- Columnist, Sedona Times, Sedona, AZ, 1992-1994
AVIATION SOCIAL MEDIA WRITER/COPYWRITER
- KaiserAir, Bart Amond
- Private Jet Pilot, Newsletter Editor, Jeff Coursey
- Solairus Aero, Dan Drohan
- Scanlon Aviation, Patrick Scanlon
MA, Counseling Psychology, 1981-1984, John F. Kennedy University, Orinda, California, BA, Social Sciences, San Francisco State University, 1961-1964, AA, Liberal Arts, San Francisco City College, 1959-1961.
- 1989-1996. Licensed in Missouri, New Mexico and Florida: 4500 Hours working with individuals, families, groups and industry.
- 1993-1996: Creve Coeur Counseling and Psychological Associates, St. Louis, MO (Dr. Ralph Caraffa, Supervising Psychologist)
- 1985-1988: Counseling Psychology, Advanced Human Studies Institute, Coral Gables, FL. Post Graduate Fellowship (Dr. Rick Suarez, Supervising Psychologist)
- Workshop, Seminar and Men’s Group Leader: 1988-1996, St. Louis, MO Area Men’s Council
- Certified Leader, Men’s Personal Leadership Training, ManKind Project, 1992-1998. Envisioned, organized and developed men’s personal development and service community, St. Louis, MO 1992-1998
- Envisioned, developed and led men’s personal and leadership development programs in St. Louis, MO, Taos, NM, San Francisco, CA, Marin County, CA and Sonoma County, CA: 1993-Present
- Staff Trainer, Men’s Awareness Training, Milwaukee, WI, 1992-1998
- MPAA (Minority Pilots Association and Academy) I helped develop minority kids interest in and qualification for aviation in Taos, NM, 1996-2000
- USA Today
- Aviation International News
(More articles upon request)
Articles published (available upon request)
- Airline Pilot Careers
- Airline Pilot Magazine
- Fifth International Aviation Psychology Symposium
- The Catalyst: (TWA Master Executive Council)
- The Lancet
- Hub City News
- Flight Facts
- TWA Lancet
- Marin Independent Journal
- St. Louis Suburban Journal
REFERENCES: Upon request
HEALTH: Excellent, FAA 1st Class physical 1/20