Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Aviation Operations Safety Assurance & Oversight, Regulator Policy Compliance, Accident Incident Investigations, Aviation Operations, Airline Transport Pilot, Airplane Multi-engine, Land & Helicopter. Commercial Pilot, Single-engine Sea. Instrument Pilot, Airplane & Helicopter. Instructor, Airplane single & multi-engine land, Helicopter. Instrument Airplane & Helicopter
AVIATION SAFETY ASSURANCE AND OVERSIGHT
- POI – Over 15 years as a FAA Principal Operations Inspector (POI) on Air Carrier/Operator Certificates (FAR 121 & 135), applying National and local oversight of Commercial Aviation Operations for both flight and cabin safety.
- ATOS and SAS – Served as a member of the FAA National Flight Standards Team for five years conducting periodic inspections and safety reviews of aviation operations of FAR 121 Air Carriers using the standards of the FAA Air Transport Oversight System (ATOS). Participated in the development and introduction/training of the Field Inspector force for the current FAA Flight Standards Safety Assurance System (SAS).
- Aircrew Training and Airmen Certification – I evaluated Air Carrier Air Crew Training Programs, certificated aircrew designated examineers and airmen under FAR Parts 61,121 and 183.
Through inspections of aviation operations and review of policy and procedures manuals for air carriers, I ensured compliance to all applicable FARs and National Flight Standards policy and guidance. Regularly monitored general aviation operations for compliance to FARs. When non-compliance of FARs were discovered; I initiated Enforcement Investigative Reports for Legal Counsel.
Investigated fatal and non-fatal aviation accidents, at times with assistance of the National Transportation Safety Board. Duties included looking for issues of FAR non-compliance, airmen training, air traffic control, navigation, airworthiness and facilities. Investigated matters of non-compliance, including reports of airspace deviations. Where appropriate I required airmen re-evaluation or suggested certificate action or civil penalties.
Commander: Army Aviation Unit Commander in units from platoon to Squadron/Battalion sized, commanding up to 650 personnel. Operations Officer and Executive Officer in an Air Cavalry Squadron. Airfield Operations Officer and Airfield Commanding Officer at a Research and Development Command.
R&D Test Officer and Pilot: Managed and flight tested major aviation systems test programs at three Development Test Centers. Emphasis placed on flight and ground safety. Preparred test plans/reports and briefed major commands on test progress.
- Flight Hours – 6300 total accident/incident free hours, with 3600 helicopter hours, 2700 hours fixed wing, 4100 hours pilot in command, 1900 hours as instructor and 520 hours of instrument time.
- Instructor Pilot – 31 years instructor pilot in helicopter and fixed wing. While in the FAA, I instructed Operations Safety Inspector in Beechcraft-90 aircraft.
- Aircraft Qualification/Experience: Type rated in CL-65 Canadair Jet, DHC-4 Reciprocating and Turbine Caribou, BA-3100 Jetstream and R-22 Helicopter. Army qualification in UH-60 Blackhawk, AH-1 Cobra, UH-1 Huey, C-7 (CV-2) Caribou, U-21/C-12 King Air, OH-58 Kiowa and U-10 Helo Courier. Operated, instructed and certificated airmen in single engine (land and sea), multi-engine airplanes and helicopters. Conducted airmen type certification in CL-65, BA-3100 and DHC-4 aircraft.
- Ratings: Airline Transport Pilot – Airplane Multi-engine, Land and Helicopter. Commercial Pilot – Single-engine Sea. Instrument Pilot – Airplane and Helicopter. Instructor – Airplane single and multi-engine land, Helicopter. Instrument Airplane and Helicopter.
- BS – Industrial Technology, Missouri State, Springfield, MO (1972)
- MS – Systems Safety Management, University of Southern California (1985)
- Air Carrier Inspector Training, FAA Academy, Oklahoma City, OK (1996)
- Air Transport Oversight System, FAA Academy, Oklahoma City, CA (2005)
- Safety Assurance System, FAA Academy, Oklahoma City, OK (2015)
- Basic Aircraft Accident Investigation Course, Oklahoma City, OK (1996)
- Advanced Aircraft Accident Investigation Course, Oklahoma City, OK (2003)
- Enforcement and Compliance, Oklahoma City, OK (1996)
- Test and Evaluation Management Course, Ft. Lee, VA (1977)
- Program Manager Course, Ft. Belvoir, VA (1986)