Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Special Event, Event Director, Triathlon, Bicycle Event, Bicycle Race, Special Event Producer, Special Event Promoter, Bicycle, Duathlon,
Expert Witness No.1231
U.C. Santa Cruz – Highest Honors in Political Theory – B.A (1975)
U.C. Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) – J.D. (1978)
Special event creation, management, and marketing; course design; event team building; instructional manuals; expository and creative writing; competent in PC computing; law.
A PRIVATE COMPANY San Diego, CA (2/93-Present)
President of event management and consultation business. Clients and projects as follows:
- Bike The Coast – Oceanside (2010-present)
- Gran Fondo Colnago – San Diego (2009-2011)
- Operations Director for 2000+ person San Diego stop on national bicycle tour.
- Rose Hall Triathlon, Montego Bay, Jamaica (2008 – Present)
- Co-founder and consultant for Jamaica’s most spectacular and first professional triathlon
- Jake’s at Treasure Beach/BREDS, Treasure Beach, Jamaica
- Event and Marketing advisor to community-based charitable triathlon.
- Jake’s Jamaican Off-Road Triathlon (2002-Present)
- Encinitas Sports and Fitness Festival, Encinitas, CA (2006-Present)
- Encinitas Sprint Triathlon
- Encinitas 5K
- Encinitas Sports Festival and Expo
- San Diego Century Bicycle Tour
Team Championships Incorporated, Denver, CO (2003-2007)
- Consult with world’s largest participatory sports business (150,000 participants in Hoop It Up; Kick It! & Let It Fly!) on commercial venue design and local marketing issues.
- Lynne Cohen Foundation, Los Angeles, CA (2005)
- Produce charity running events for ovarian cancer charity in NYC and LA.
- Reebok Women’s Triathlon Series (2003-5).
- Partner with CAPRI Events and Series Administrator in 12-city triathlon event series for women.
Capri Events, Chicago, IL (1996-2003)
- Chicago Triathlon, Chicago, IL (1996 – present)
- Consulted with the world’s largest triathlon (co-founded in 1982) on event, media, course and sponsorship issues
Elite Racing, Inc. San Diego, CA (2004)
- Consulted on course layout of future running events.
Jamaica Tourist Board, Kingston, Jamaica, (1994-2002)
- Designed and produced special event industry continuing education conferences, tourist promotions and athletic events highlighting Jamaica’s prominent cultural position.
Caribbean Sports and Special Events Conference – Kingston, Jamaica, 1994 &1995
James Bond Jamaica Festival – Ocho Rios, Jamaica, 1996
- Jamdammers Running Club, Kingston, Jamaica (Present)
- Consult with the premier running club in Jamaica on the creation, marketing and operation of Jamaica’s only international Marathon.
Reggae Marathon, Negril, Jamaica (2001-2002)
SWATInc., Del Mar, CA (1999-Present)
- Event consultant to a marketing and promotions agency representing several International and San Diego-based product and service businesses.
FitnessAge, Inc., La Jolla, CA (2000)
- Designed national web-based fitness promotions; consulted on national sponsorship/tour issues for a web-based fitness industry start-up.
Transact Art, Inc., San Diego, CA (8/00-2/01)
- Worked as one of three-member founding team to establish financial and transactional service company in the Fine Arts sector.
New York Road Runners Club, NY (2000)
- Managed four cities of the 13-city tour for TOMMY HILFIGER FRAGRANCES, concentrating on public relations, on-site merchandising and promotions.
Tommy’s american running series 2000 Tour (July 4, 2000)
Quintana Roo, Inc., San Marcos, CA (1/97-10/99)
- Executive producer for 20-city triathlon tour. Negotiated, and managed local producers, designed and produced sets, set-up and managed transfers, co-designed and executed marketing plans, oversaw on-site production.
Bally Total Fitness U.S. Triathlon Series – Twenty Cities <1997-1999>
QR Multi-Sport Event Directors Conference – San Diego <1998 & 1999>
- Designed, booked and produced triathlon event director conference.
IWERKS, Inc., Irvine, CA, (2/94-11/96)
- Negotiated fees and exposure, oversaw placements & client liaison, booked six truck entertainment attraction into fairs and festivals around the U.S., AT&T- Virtually There- Simulation Tour – 150 venues, 25 states
CAT Sports, Inc., Carlsbad, CA (1982-1993)
- Co-Founder and Sr. Vice President of CAT Sports; served as head of event production and member of Executive Committee with operations, marketing, promotion and sponsorship duties. Designed and produced the following events:
BUD LIGHT US Triathlon Series – 125 Events, 18 States, 125,000+ Participants (1982 – 1993).
- First nationwide triathlon event series, first to give equal prize money to M & W, created Olympic distance in triathlon, wave starts and bike racks
Bahamas Diamond Triathlon of the Stars – Bahamas – (1984)
The Japan Triathlon Series – Ten Cities, 35 events (1984 – 1989) <Active>
IRONKIDS Triathlon Series – Six U.S. Cities (1987) <Active>
America’s Paradise Triathlon – St. Croix U.S.V.I. – (1988) <Active>
MICHELOB Night Riders – Six U.S. Cities (1988)
NFL Quarterback Challenge – Kauai, Orlando (1988 – 1993) <Active>
SEAGRAM’S Golden Quarterback Challenge – Kauai (1990 – 1992)
Triathlon World Championships – Walt Disney World (1990)
ABC Wide World of Sports’ SUMMER SKATE – Universal Studios (1991 – 1993)
- International Events Group – IEG Sponsorship Conference – Chicago (1992-1996)
- Caribbean Sports and Special Events Conference – Kingston, Jamaica (1994-1995)
- Barbados Sponsorship Conference (1995)
- QR Multi-Sport Event Directors Conference – San Diego (1998 & 1999)
- Guest Lecturer in Event Marketing – SDSU 2005; CSUDH 2006-2009
- Co-founder Triathlon Federation USA – (1982); Board member/VP (1982 – 1988)
- Wrote original triathlon safety rules and procedures. Headed event sub-committee.
- Co-founder & VP, International Triathlon Union (1986 – 1987)
- Member, “Volunteers in Parole” Attorney/Youth Parolee Program (1982 – 1986)
- Founded Encinitas, CA – Hondo, Japan “Sister City Program (1988)
- Board member, Chairperson, Encinitas Parks and Recreation Commission (1988 -1990)
- Board member, Torrey Pines Community Planning Group (1995-1996)
- Executive Committee & Producer – Heart Failure Awareness Week (2000 – 2002)
- Co-Producer – Spin De Cove – The Spin For Challenged Athletes – for Challenged Athletes Foundation, La Jolla (2002-2005). Helped spin event increase donation revenue from $7500 in 2002 to $160,000 in 2005.
- Creator – Team Vector – Fundraising vehicle for Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation. Raised over $150,000 in 12 Reebok Women – Triathlon
- Series events. (2003-2005)
Advisor/Committee Member – Canyon Crest Academy Foundation (2004-2005)
PUBLICATIONS: Available Upon Request
- Outstanding Contributions – U.S. Triathlon Federation (1984, 1985)
- 100th Event – Anheuser-Busch – (1990)
- Community Service Award – City of Encinitas (1991)
- Special Commendation – City of San Diego (1996)
- Inducted into Triathlete Magazine – Hall of Fame – (2000)
- Assoc. Event Director, U.S. Olympic Trials – Dallas (2000)
- Hondo City 50th Anniversary/Hondo-Encinitas Sister City – Honoree – Hondo, Japan (2004)
- Inducted into USA Triathlon Federation – Hall of Fame – (2010)
Presenter for Dave McGillivray, USA Triathlon Hall of Fame Induction – (2011)
REPRESENTATIVE PAST CLIENTS
- ABC Sports
- American Airlines
- AVIA Shoes
- Bally Total Fitness
- Gran Fondo USA
- Jamaica Tourist Board
- Las Vegas C&VB
- Lynne Cohen Foundation
- New York Road Runners Club
- NBC Sports
- Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation
- Pacific Athletic Club
- Reebok International, Ltd.
- Tommy Hilfiger