Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
CATV, Cable TV, Cable Television, Coaxial Construction, Fiber Optic Construction, Fiber Optical Transport, Fiber Optic Design, Fiber Optic Damage Analysis, Coaxial Cable Design, Cable TV Franchise, CATV HFC Design Mapping, CATV Headend Design Services, CATV Headend Wiring & Certification, CATV HFC Upgrades Rebuilds, FCC Technical Compliance, MATV, Master Antenna Television, National Electrical Code, CATV Bonding Grounding, Coaxial Cable, Fiber Optic Cable, Amplifier Applications, Community Antenna Television, Auditing
Expert has over 37 years of experience in the telecommunications industry. He has served as Vice President of Engineering and Construction, Vice President of Engineering, Vice President of Network Services, Executive Director of Engineering, and Regional Director of Engineering for multiple telecommunication providers. Expert is currently employed as the Vice President of Engineering for Broadband International where he manages the Research and Technology Division. He holds a FCC First Class Radiotelephone License. He has served on the Society of Cable TV Engineers, Chattahoochee Chapter Board Directors for 16 years. He has held the position Chairman, President, 1st Vice President and 2nd Vice President while serving on the Board of Directors. He was inducted into the Southern Cable Television Association Tower Club in 1993 in recognition of his outstanding achievements in the telecommunications industry and served on the Board of Directors for Atlanta Interfaith Broadcasters for 4 years from 2003-2007.
Extensive knowledge and senior management experience in CATV, fiber optics, SONET based telecommunications, broadcast / broadband video, construction, engineering, operations, customer service, maintenance, turnkey project management, research and development. Offering strong skills in management with team leadership, training, capital and expense budget control, organizational development, and marketing and sales support. Proficient in contract negotiations, project management, and system reliability improvements.
P R O F E S I O N A L E X P E R I E N C E
January 2008 – present Research and Development Center
- Vice President of Engineering
- Developed and implemented products for the telecommunications industry. Including concept of design and managing a highly skilled group of
- senior design engineers for international product development. Provided quality control measures for manufacturing facility in Miami, Florida to ensure products meet national and international standards. Develop and deploy customer training and development programs.
Newsom Technical Services Inc.
July 2001- Dec 2016
- Supplying custom consulting services to the telecommunications industry. Specializing in economical system upgrades, fiber optic design, contract negotiations, and construction services.
- Offering support to MSO’s and equipment manufactures for future services, Expert Witness Testimony with experience in State and Federal cases.
- Detail experience in Cable TV Franchise
- Support Services, CATV/HFC Design and Mapping Services, Headend Design Services, Headend Wiring & Certification, and Project Management
- Services for CATV/HFC Upgrades and Rebuilds
June 2000-June 2001
Vice President of Engineering and Construction
Developed, implemented and managed all aspects of engineering, design, construction, program management, and network operations in the AT&T Atlanta Region. Staffed and directed a skilled group of over 350 employees. Worked closely with operations and marketing to develop and refine a comprehensive product launch for VOD, digital video, High Speed Data Services and Digital Telephone Service. Responsibilities included managing all capital expenditure of 250 million dollars annually. Evaluated and selected appropriate technology solutions to meet business requirements.
Vice President of Engineering
Developed launch plans for video, telephone, VOD, and HSD services. Responsible for all aspects of engineering, fiber optic deployment, and video systems in the Atlanta Region. This team designed, engineered, constructed and installed 40-distribution hub sites in 12 months. Over 1 million feet of fiber optic cable was designed, installed, tested and activated within 13 months. Services activated include VOD, Digital Video, Telephone and High Speed Data Services.
1995 – 1999
Vice President of Network Services
Responsible for all aspects of CATV, telephone, and HSDS Engineering, Telephone Operations and Installation, Company wide Technical training/ Environmental Health & Safety Training and Fiber Optic Operations for Media 1 in the Atlanta market. Established Company methods and procedures for 250+ million in revenue and 550k subscribers.
Developed engineering and construction specifications for Hybrid Fiber Coax deployment of telephone, CATV, and Data services.
Access Telecommunications Interconnect
1992 – 1995
Vice President of Network Services
Developed and implemented business plan for telephone based alternate access competition in the Atlanta market. Established company from $0 revenue in 1992 to over $12 million in revenue in 1995. Provided senior management for all network operations, SONET and asynchronous engineering, construction, monitoring, surveillance, and installation. Researched industry trends, products and network architecture to implement deployment of dedicated non- switched SONET network, offering DS0, DS1, DS3, OC-N, frame relay, transparent LAN, and cellular transport services.Coordinated and planned service deployment with marketing and sales. Assisted in customer sales calls with technical support and recommendations. Negotiated public
And private right of way.
Prime Cable / GCTV
1984 – 1992
Executive Director of Engineering
Directed all aspects of technical operations and engineering. Responsible for staff of 200+ employees, including Chief Engineers, Engineers, Service and Maintenance Technicians, and support staff.
Developed and effectively managed capital and operating budget and monthly P&L variances. Improved system reliability and established compliance to exceed all NCTA & F.C.C. technical and customer service standards. Developed and implemented initial and continuous training programs for engineering and operations. Developed strategic plans for departmental implementation of new and existing products and services to increase cash flow from below 40% to above 55%.
1980 – 1984
Maintenance Manager and other Coordinated technical operation in multiple franchise areas. Tested and approved all construction activity during the initial CATV deployment in Atlanta, East Point, College Park, North Fulton County, and Alpharetta. Deployed microwave broadband technology to twenty hub sites and supplied service to 150,000 subscribers. Responsibilities included F.C.C. proof of performance testing, CLI compliance, plant maintenance, F.C.C. filings, I-Net maintenance, etc.
E D U C A T I O N A N D T R A I N I N G
Oglethorpe University 1990 – 1991
Numerous courses and studies
1979 – 1980
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
1977 – 1978
P R O F E S S I O N A L M E M B E R S H I P S & A C H I E V E M E N T S
- Federal Communications Commission – First Class Radio Telephone License (GC) SCTE (Society of Cable Television Engineers)
- (Previous President and Chairman of the Chattahoochee Chapter Society of CATV Engineers) Currently Serving on the Board of Directors for
- Atlanta Interfaith Broadcaster TV Station
- ONI – Digital Networks Training Completion
- Inducted into the SCTA Tower Club in recognition of demonstrated leadership in the CATV industry in 1993
- NCTI Graduate in 1980
- 2005-2006 – Galaxy Cable Inc, v. Cablevision of Marion County LLC (District Court for the Middle District of Florida, Ocala Division)
- 2005 – Bryan County School District v. Bryon Smith and Atlantic Underground Utilities (Superior Court of Bryan County, State of Georgia)
- 2003-2004 – Northern Line Layers, Inc. v. US FIBERTEL Inc. (Federal Court, Billing, Montana)
- 2004 – William “Pete” Nichols v. West Alabama TV Cable Co. Inc. (Circuit Court of Marion County, Alabama)
- 2002-2003 – Southwestern Bell Video Services, Inc. v. Times Fiber Communications, Inc. (191st Judicial District Court of Dallas County, Texas)