Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Expert Witness No.2047 The training and experience of Expert 2047 in construction safety spans nearly three decades, in fall protection, confined spaces, fire prevention, ladder safety, hazardous materials handling, trench rescue, scaffold safety, forklift operation/instruction, competent person training in trenching and excavation, confined space and OSHA 500. Expert 2047 has served as competent […]
Expert Witness No.2047
The training and experience of Expert 2047 in construction safety spans nearly three decades, in fall protection, confined spaces, fire prevention, ladder safety, hazardous materials
handling, trench rescue, scaffold safety, forklift operation/instruction, competent person training in trenching and excavation, confined space and OSHA 500.
Expert 2047 has served as competent person in charge of crew safety on swing-stage scaffolding and has also served as outside sales representative, inspector, and consultant
regarding the safe installation and operation of equipment for underground shoring, confined spaces, fall protection, and traffic control. Additionally, Expert 2047 has instructed CPR and first aid courses for construction-industry workers and is a certified adult education teacher of construction safety classes for the Associated General Contractors of America San Diego Chapter’s Apprenticeship Program.
As well as providing expert witness services in numerous personal injury and jobsite safety cases, he has also has served as assistant fire chief and captain for two fire departments. In those capacities, he inspected construction sites for compliance with building fire codes. Most recently, he acted as Filanc Construction Company's safety director and risk manager, overseeing all safety activities, monitoring loss control, and administering a company-wide drug-free and alcohol-free workplace program for 300-plus employees.
Expert 2047 has over 17 years of training and experience in railroad operations and safety. He started his railroad carrier as track laborer and working his way up the ranks in the building & bridges department, water department, train service as a switchman, brakeman, hostler and finally a mainline freight conductor. He has been serving as a consultant and expert witness to the railroad/transportation industry for over 10 years.
2008 to 2015 Private Company, Alpine, CA
PRINCIPLE of an expert witness and risk management consulting firm specializing in safety expert witness services in construction personal injury litigation, construction safety consulting, management of workers’ compensation programs, and safety training.
2008 to 2011 J.R. FILANC CONSTRUCTION CO., INC., Escondido, CA
SAFETY DIRECTOR, responsible for:
- Developing specific objectives and strategies to maintain an effective safety program that complies with federal, state and local safety regulations.
- Conducting regular, comprehensive on-site safety assessments of projects and constant, ongoing monitoring of corrective actions taken and enforcement compliance.
- Developing and maintaining documentation for the IIPP, Safety Manual, Substance Abuse Policy and OSHA logs.
- Representing Filanc in all safety related hearings.
- Manager of all loss control/workers compensation activities.
- Planning and implementing programs to train employees in work site safety practices.
- Developing Tool Box Safety Talks in compliance with Filanc’s safety policies.
- Investigating all accidents resulting in lost time injuries or major property, liability or equipment damage; producing investigative reports.
1998 to 2008 ROEL CONSTRUCTION CO., INC., San Diego, CA
SAFETY DIRECTOR, responsible for:
- Coordination of safety activities; administration and continuous updating of Roel’s safety program.
- Manager of all loss control activities and vehicle operations.
- Liaison between management and various outside safety agencies.
- Establishment of minimum safety program standards and supervision of compliance enforcement.
- Establishment of training programs for employees and supervisors as required.
- Securing CAL/OSHA permits for required jobs.
- Job site and accident inspections.
- Assist superintendents running jobs.
- Administration of company’s drug/alcohol-free workplace program.
1998 to 2008 ROEL CONSULTING GROUP, San Diego, CA
IN-HOUSE CONSULTANT providing expert witness services on construction personal injury cases, handling investigations, depositions and trial testimony.
1998 to 2007 San Diego COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT, San Diego, CA
ADULT EDUCATION TEACHER of construction safety classes for the Associated
General Contractors of America Apprenticeship program.
1992 to 1998 SAN DIEGO RURAL FIRE DEPARTMENT, Jamul, CA
CAPTAIN responding to fire, medical, traffic accidents, Haz-Mat and public service calls on a volunteer and/or paid basis; participation in apparatus and station maintenance; serving when needed as engineer; inspection of construction sites for compliance with UBC and fire codes.
1995 to 1997 CAMPO RESERVATION FIRE DEPARTMENT, Campo, CA
ASSISTANT FIRE CHIEF serving as station administrator, duty chief, department P.I.O., fire inspections, training, acting captain when needed; inspection of construction sites for compliance with UBC and fire codes.
1994 to 1996 ALLIED BARRICADE & TRENCH SHORING CO., El Cajon, CA
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE selling and consulting regarding underground shoring, confined space, fall protection and all types of traffic control equipment; daily inspections of construction sites to ensure safety of trench-shoring.
1985 to 1993 D.A. WHITACRE CONSTRUCTION, El Cajon, CA
CARPENTER involved with all phases of wood construction; telescopic forklift operator, check-in of materials, layout.
1975 to 1992 UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD CO.
• 1985 to 1992 Cheyenne, WY
FREIGHT CONDUCTOR on 180 mile main line between Cheyenne, WY and Rawlings, WY. Responsible for on-time shipment of freight, placement of hazardous materials in train, crew safety, time sheets, customer service. Worked on extra board as switchman, rakeman and conductor.
• 1988 Cheyenne, WY
HOSTLER responsible for operation of multiple engines in the Cheyenne rail yard and mainline. He also operated one of the largest turntables in the western United States.
• 1979-1985 Green River, WY
CONDUCTOR/ BRAKEMAN on extra board servicing a 50 mile radius that operates 10 local freight trains hauling soda ash and coal, responsible for relieving crews on the main line, conductor in charge of the derrick train responding to derailments.
• 1978 Green River, WY
SWITCHMAN/BRAKEMAN in Green River yards responsible as Foreman and/or switchman on all shifts. Brakeman on extra board.
• 1978 Green River, WY
WATER DEPARTMENT PIPEFITER responsible for plumbing and pipe-fitting for all railroad department boiler rooms, maintenance of all railroad cars, engines that had plumbing or piping problems, repairing remote buildings plumbing and wells.
• 1977 Green River, WY
MAINLINE TRACK-GANG LABORER responsible for replacing rails and ties and performing welding on 20 miles of the main line. Trained as relief rail truck driver.
• 1976 Green River, WY
BUILDING & BRIDGES DEPARTMENT JOURYMAN IRONWORKER responsible for performing all steel work including building, repairing and retrofitting bridges and signal masts, 50 mile long district.
• 1975 Green River, WY
TRACK-GANG LABORER responsible for maintaining and replacing railroad ties, switches and ballast rock at Green River switch yard.
1972 to 1974 NATIONAL STEEL & SHIPBUILDING, San Diego, CA
BURNING DEPARTMENT LEAD-MAN responsible for layout, production and quality control of fabricated ship parts; competent person in charge of crew safety on swingstage scaffolding; CM60 (multiple torch burning machine) operator responsible for layout and productions, welder, ship fitter.
- Associated Subcontractors Alliance (ASA) 2014
- American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA) 2013
- National Utility Contractors Association (NUCA) 2013
- International Risk Management Institute 2010 – 2013
- Board of Certified Safety Professionals 2010 – 2014
- San Diego County Bar Association 2010
- National Utility Contractors Association 2010
- Judge for National AGC Construction Excellence Safety Awards 2009-2011
- National Committee for Certification of Crane Operators (NCCCO) Test Site Coordinator (TSC) 2009-2011
- National AGC Safety Committee Member in 2009 – 2011
- Dig Alert of Southern California Board Member 2007-2008
- AGC Safety Committee Chairperson in 2003
- American Society of Safety Engineers since 2000
- AGC Safety Committee Chairperson in 1999
- Associated General Contractors since 1996
- El Capitan High School, Lakeside, CA. (1972)
- Miramar College, San Diego, CA. Certificate of Completion in Fire Science (1996)
- Columbia Southern University, AL. AAS/Occupational Safety & Health (2010 – Present)
Contractor’s State License Board: California
B – General Building Contractor – (Feb. 2016)
- Board of Certified Safety Professionals Construction Health and Safety Technician (Dec. 2010)
- Construction Risk and Insurance Specialist (CRIS) (May 2010)
- National Utility Contractors Association (NUCA) Certified Trainer for Competent Person in Trenching & Excavation and Confined Space (2010)
- Emergency Medical Technician:
Colorado: 1990 to 1992
California: 1993 to 1999
- California State Firefighter 1 (1993)
- California OSFM Hazardous Materials:
First Responder Operational (1993)
Incident Commander / Scene Manager (1993)
- American Concrete Pumping Association’s Operator Safety Seminar (2015)
- San Diego Metropolitan Transit System Roadway Worker Safety (2014)
- Certified TRN 120 for Suspended Scaffold – Safway Scaffold (2013)
- Qualified Crane Rigging and Signal Person (2013)
- American Traffic Safety Services Association – Registered Flagger (2013)
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Workplace Accident Investigations (2012)
- North County Transit District (NCTD) Roadway Worker Protection Training (July 2011) – Contractor Safety Trained No. 16054
- Crane Management – Zurich Risk Engineering (2008)
- Contractual Risk Transfer – Zurich Risk Engineering (2008)
- OSHA 500 (1998), (2003)
- Training New Steel Erection Standard (2003)
- Occupational Medicine & the Construction Industry (2002)
- Accident Investigation – Det Norske Veritas (2002)
- Workplace Violence, A Prevention Response; Pacific Safety Council (2001)
- Computer Tools for Rigging, Crosby Communication System (2000)
- Asbestos Worker Training Course (1998); refresher course (1999); refresher course (2000)
- Risk Management and Inspection Basic Rigging and Lifting (2000)
- Fall Protection Competent Person (2000)
- Forklift Train the Trainer – SD/AGC (1999 – Present)
- Confined Space Awareness Training (1999)
- Safety Awareness for Excavators (1999)
- Power Line Train-the-Trainer Course (1998)
- CPR and First Aid Instructor (1998)
- Scaffold Competent Person Training Program (August 1998)
- Moldex Respirators Train-the-Trainer Course (1998)
- Emergency Trench Rescue – CMC Rescue (1996)
- San Diego State University guest lecturer on construction and safety (2007-2011)
- Owner/teacher CPR First Aid of San Diego
- Lead Instructor for San Diego Rural Fire Academy
Available Upon Request
Available Upon Request