Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Construction, Engineering, Field Engineer Project Engineer, Estimator, Superintendent, Project Manager, Senior Project Manager, Project Executive Group Manager, design development, general contracting, construction management, forensic analysis, claims resolution, public private work, building site development, self performed concrete work, multiple types of contract delivery methods, design build, OSHPD prmitting, prevailing wage, Owner Controlled Insurance Programs OCIP, insurance claims, Native American sales tax mitigation processes, commercial, light industrial, high rise, parking structures, site development, mixed use, tenant improvement, office, retail, health care, multi family residential, hospitality, entertainment, education, gaming, concrete tilt up, military, waste water treatment, power generation
Summary of Professional Experience
Has over 40 years of continuous experience in the construction industry. A 1977 graduate in Construction Engineering, College of Engineering & Applied Sciences, Arizona State University. Employed by general contractors (all self-performing structural concrete and other trades) progressing from Field Engineer to Project Engineer, Estimator, Superintendent, Project Manager, Project Executive and Group Manager. Currently principal of a Private Consulting since 2008.
Experienced in building and engineering general contracting; concrete contracting; construction management; and forensic analysis and testimony. Owner experience in private, public (prevailing wage), OSHPD, military and Native American work. Contract experience in lump sum hard bid, negotiated, cost plus fee, design build and unit price. Owner Controlled Insurance Programs (OCIP), insurance claims, and Native American sales tax mitigation processes experience.
Project type experience in commercial, light industrial, high rise, parking structures, site development, mixed use, tenant improvement, office, retail, health care, multi-family residential, hospitality, entertainment, education, gaming, waste water treatment, and power generation. Self-performed concrete experience in matt foundations, drilled caissons, suspended slabs, post-tensioning, pre-cast, tilt-up, jump-form, slip-form, and shot-crete, Engineering experience in site development, shoring systems (soldier beams with tie-backs and soil nailing), deep excavations, underground utilities, and roads.
Detail of Professional Experience
2008 to Present
A Consulting Company
San Diego, California
He is the Principal of A Consulting Company with its Associates provides services to Facility, Asset, and Property Managers; Property Owners; Developers; Contractors; Attorneys; Insurance Claims Adjusters; and others encompassing:
- Design development, budgeting, scheduling, permitting, procurement and construction (Construction Management).
- Construction defect investigation and remediation with follow-up claims presentation and insurance processing.
- Forensic analysis, opinion, and testimony of contracting issues and property defects (Expert Witness).
Sample of Current Clients/Projects
•6275 Lusk Shell & TI: Construction manager services to renovate an existing 4,730 sf single story office building, built 1990. San Diego, CA.
•Willow Creek, Venture X: Construction consulting services TI renovations 23,000 sf space. Scripps Ranch, San Diego, CA.
•Heritage Hotel: Construction consulting Services to renovate a 3 story 100 year plus old 3 story 9,000 sf building. East Village San Diego, CA.
•Willis Residence: Construction management services to complete a major renovation of a 2,900-sf single family home. Rancho Santa Fe, CA.
•950 Industrial Warehouse: Construction consulting services to build ground up new 6,700 sf warehouse with 2 acers of site development. Chula Vista, CA.
•Beacon’s Beach Triad: Construction consulting services to build 3 each 3,000-sf ocean front residential homes. Leucadia (Encinitas), CA.
•TSA Construction, Inc.: General contracting consulting services in project management. San Diego, CA.
•Amin Family Residence: Construction consulting services to build hillside ocean view altar high-end custom single family 5,700 sf residence. Extensive site work to re-develop a 7/8 acer lot with 30ft tall retaining walls. La Jolla (San Diego), CA.
•West Park Inn Renovations: Construction consulting services to add food service and dining facilities along with other renovations. San Diego, CA.
•Village Hotel: Construction management services to build an 87 key hotel with retail and parking. One level above grade podium deck plus four levels wood framing. East Village Downtown San Diego, CA.
•Atmosphere Apartments: Shoring monitoring services for an up to 32 ft deep shored excavation utilizing soldier beams with tie-backs and raker beams. Two levels underground garage and 12 levels high-rise of apartments with retail. Downtown San Diego, CA.
•Alexan Apartments: Shoring monitoring services for an up to 43 ft deep shored excavation utilizing soldier beams with tie-backs. Three levels underground garage and 19 levels high-rise of apartments with retail. East Village Downtown San Diego, CA.
•Kingswood Manor Apartments: Construction management services for two slab on grade wood frame two-story apartment buildings. Chula Vista, CA.
•Brockman Lofts: Construction management services to renovate 80 loft apartment units, underground garage and public spaces. 12 story 122K sf 100-year-old historic building. Downtown Los Angeles, CA.
•Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital Central Plant: Construction expertise services to build 25k sf two-story central plant producing chilled and hot water for heating/cooling, emergency/co-generation power and steam generation. 600 ft utility tunnel, 60k gal underground fuel tanks, 21k gal underground brine/water energy storage tanks and 6k gal liquid oxygen storage system. AECOM (Client) is the design build general contractor. Salinas, CA.
•Faraday Owners Association Inc.: Owner’s agent for foundation settlement remediation of a two-story tilt-up building. Foundation underpinning, slab replacement, and building repairs. Carlsbad, CA.
2000 to 2008
ROEL Construction Company Inc.
San Diego, California
Group Manager. Manager of a “group” within the company of projects starting at business development through proposal/bid, award, pre-construction, contracting, construction, and warranty. The “responsible person in charge” of administrative and field operations for the following projects:
•Morongo Mission Indians Administrative Complex: 67k sf administration bldg., 8k sf round council bldg., central plant, interior build out, and site work. Steel frame construction. Cabazon, CA.
•Fantasy Springs Resort Casino: $20 million, 77k sf casino renovation, 8k sf restaurant, site signage. Occupied 24/7 casino. Indio, CA.
•Naval Training Center, Liberty Station: Phase 1, 200k sf historic restoration and modifications to the vacated US Naval Training Base. Barracks, mess hall, and chapel converted to retail, office, and restaurant space. San Diego, CA.
•Agua Caliente Casino Hotel, Convention Center and Spa: $175 million; 445k sf, 17-story high-rise hotel tower, post tension decks, 340 keys; spa building; convention center; casino renovation/expansion; and site work. High-end finishes attaching to and renovating 24/7 occupied casino. Rancho Mirage, CA.
•Park Laurel Condos (Phases I and 2): Twin tower 14-story post tension deck, jump form concrete core, high-rise structure with two floors underground parking at 120k sf. 96 high-end condo units totaling 300k sf plus 10,000 sf retail space. Urban infill, full city block, zero lot line, 45k cu yd dirt export, 22 ft shored excavation. Self-performed structural concrete. San Diego, CA.
•Hadley Villas Apartments: 150 apartments with club house for seniors. 10-acre site development, wood frame construction. La Quinita, CA.
•Laurel Bay Apartments: 151 apartments 160k sf, 20k sf retail and clubhouse, 5 floors above grade wood frame. Three floors 156k sf underground parking, 58k cu yd dirt export, 35 ft shored excavation. Urban in-fill encompassing entire city block. Self-performed structural concrete. San Diego, CA.
•Agua Caliente Casino: 125k sf steel frame structure with 2500 slots and gaming tables casino, 450 seat buffet dining, entertainment/performance room, two 150 seat restaurants, and interior water features. 720k sf four-floor parking structure, 40 acres of site work, off-site work, and water feature. Total project completed in eight months. Rancho Mirage, CA.
1988 to 2000
Nielsen Construction Co.
Nielsen Dillingham Builders
San Diego, California
Project Executive. Manager of multiple projects, the “executive in charge” starting at business development through proposal/bid, award, pre-construction, contracting, construction, and warrantee. Responsible for administrative and field project operations. Starting position as a Senior Project Manager. Specific project experience:
- Veterinary Medical Center at San Diego Wild Animal Park: Acute care hospital with nursing facilities for wild animals ranging from 25-gram birds to 2,500 lb. large hoof stock. 65k sf, one story block structure with 15 acres site work. San Diego, CA.
- Lake Mead Medical Arts Bldg: Three-story, Type 1, 60k sf medical office bldg. shell and tenant improvement with MIR unit. Las Vegas, NV.
- San Ramon Regional Medical Center: Three-story, Type 1, steel frame, 80k sf medical office bldg. shell and IT with outpatient surgery unit. San Ramon, CA.
- Mark V Maintenance Facility for U.S. Navy: Competitive lump sum bid, high bay steel structure for servicing/garaging the Mark V jet boats. Self-performed concrete. San Diego, CA.
- Uniden R&D Complex: Design build 10-story 250k sf office tower and 10k sf tilt-up physical plant/cafeteria building with 20 acres site development. Jump form concrete cores, steel frame, self-performed structural concrete. Tenant improvement included. San Diego, CA.
- San Diego Qualcomm Stadium (formerly Jack Murphy Stadium) Renovation & Expansion: Competitive bid, design/build, $58 million (1996 dollars) lump sum contract for City of San Diego. Demolish east end zone bleachers and build five-level concrete stadium structures matching existing architecture and seating 17k people. Build two exit ramp structures, four each 6k sf elevated club lounges, two escalator structures, four gate structures, and site work. Renovate existing press box, 110 suites, restrooms, seating and concessions. Substantially complete within a seven month period one month ahead of the accelerated schedule. Original bid schedule was 21 months. Self-performed concrete. San Diego, CA.
- Icon Office Renovations: 20K ft office tenant improvement renovation. San Diego, CA.
- Black Mountain Shooting Range: 27k sf indoor target range. Tilt-up construction, self-performed concrete. Poway, CA.
- Camp Pendleton Fitness Center: 20k sf gym & fitness center at Camp Pendleton Marine Base. Self performed concrete. Camp Pendleton, CA.
- Citrus Hills Intermediate School, Corona Norco Unified School District: 119k sf six building school campus steel frame with 17 acres site development. Classrooms, labs, gym, and commercial kitchen servicing the District. Self-performed concrete. Corona, CA.
- Perris Administrative and Operations Center: Eastern Municipal Water District: 99k sf five buildings, design build tilt-up, steel frame sloped roofs. Construction management 30 acre site development concurrent with buildings. Self-performed structural concrete. Perris, CA.
- View Ridge Link: 50k sf two-story office building, steel frame addition connecting two existing buildings. San Diego, CA.
- Tustin Office Complex: 45k sf shell and tenant improvement, 3-story steel frame office building. Tustin, CA.
- The Village Hillcrest: 305k sf four-level underground parking garage; 176k sf seven-story acute care hospital and MOB (medical office building); 84k sf five buildings of apartments, movie theater, retail and office. 120k cu yd dirt export, 51 ft shored excavation. Urban infill, zero lot line. OSHPD and City of San Diego permits. Self-performed structural concrete, San Diego, CA.
- HRE: 35k sf manufacturing and office building. Tilt-up, self-performed concrete. Carlsbad, CA.
- Uptown District: 14-acre urban demo and site re-development; 262k sf subterranean pre-cast parking garage; 151k sf 7-buildings wood frame retail; 42k sf Ralph’s Grocery Store with underground parking structure. Off-site work included two ea intersection signalization, utilities and one mile of 14” sewer main. Self-performed concrete. San Diego, CA.
- Sycamore Canyon & San Marcos Land Fills: Design/build methane gas recovery/co-generation plants, two separate sites. San Diego & San Marcos, CA.
- Pacific Corporate Center: Added streets with utilities and traffic signal improvements for a commercial subdivision. San Diego, CA.
1985 to 1988
Pinner Construction Company Inc.
Project Manager/Superintendent. Responsible manager of administrative and field project operations. Specific Project experience:
- Heat Reduction, Los Angeles Unified School District: Renovation and air conditioning at 13 school campuses. Occupied facilities. Los Angeles, CA.
- Olen Parking Structure: 80k sf two-story design build parking structure. Self performed concrete, Irvine, CA.
- Palomar Hospital: Remodel and new construction of co-generation plant, open heart surgery, intensive care, patient rooms, etc. Occupied 24/7 facility with haz-mat abatement. Self performed concrete. Escondido, CA.
1977 to 1985
Sundt Corp, M. M. Sundt Construction Co.
Arabian Sundt LTD, Western United States and Darahan, Saudi Arabia
Superintendent. Responsible manager of onsite field operations. Starting position as field engineer then promoted to project engineer, estimator, superintendent. Specific project experience:
- AT&T Tower: 583ft 51-story office high-rise, slip-form building core completing one floor per day. Self-performed concrete and rebar. Kansas City, MO.
- Regency Villas: 122 condominiums, wood frame over underground parking. Completed in 10 months. San Diego, CA
- Brookside Terrace: 187 townhouses and three-story condo building over parking. San Pablo, CA.
- Trans America Data Center: 35k sf computer complex, steel frame. Raised computer floor, data vaults, emergency generators, underground fuel storage, battery backup room, etc. Self-performed concrete. San Diego, CA.
- Lincoln Samaritan Hospital: 400k sf, four-story steel frame ground up new hospital. Complete build out with surgery, x-ray, intensive care, patient rooms, full service kitchen, etc. Self-performed concrete and earth work. Glendale, AZ.
- Williams Square: Twin towers, 410 ft 30-story building core completing two floors per day. Self-performed concrete and rebar. Dallas, TX.
- Olympia & York Office Building: 490 ft 40-story building core, completing one floor per day. Self-performed concrete and rebar. Dallas, TX.
- Corporate Office M. M. Sundt Construction: Estimator for Power & Industrial Group. Numerous estimates/proposals for projects in Southwest US. Tucson, AZ.
- Navajo Power Generation: Shutdown and rehab of existing 820k megawatt coal fired operating facility. Rehab of the 200 ft tall boiler box and generator heat exchanger rehab, replacement of coal fuel piping, and other work. 24/7 shift work, self performed all trades. Page, AZ.
- Baca Geothermal Power Generation: 50k megawatt new plant at 9,000 ft elevation on the side of an extinct volcano. Self-performed earthwork, concrete, rebar, and process piping. Baca, NM.
- Yuma Waste Water Treatment: 3 mgd plant expansion. Self-performed earthwork, concrete, and process piping. Yuma, AZ.
- Chino Waste Water Treatment: 6 mgd plant expansion. Administration building, 20 circular and square concrete structures, and piping up to five ft diameter. Self-performed concrete, millwright work, and process piping. Chino, CA.
- Daharan School: 40k sf remodel and new construction grade school for ARAMCO. Self-performed all trades. Daharan, Saudi Arabia.
Certifications and Licenses
- Bachelor of Science Degree (BS) Construction Engineering, College of Engineering & Applied Sciences, Arizona State University, 1977.
- California State Contractor’s License, “A” Engineering, “B” General Building, and “C-8” Concrete classifications.