Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Construction, On-Site Construction Health and Safety Consulting, OSHA Training, Site Safety Assessments, Incident Investigations, Environmental Health and Safety, Casual Factor Analysis Report, Health and Safety Technician, CHST,
In 2012, after 30 plus years in the Construction and General Industry fields, SCIS was started. As a Strategic Risk Management Company, providing On-Site Construction Health & Safety Consulting, OSHA Training, Site Safety Assessments, Incident Investigations as well as Developing and Implementing Company Environmental Health & Safety Programs. SCIS also incorporated safety based Commercial and Residential Property Inspections.
In 2016, through knowledge and experience, I was qualified as an Expert Witness, for a case which is currently in ongoing litigation. The scope of my expertise included an Incident Recreation/Investigation with a written Causal Factor Analysis Report.
Prior to starting SCIS, I was employed by General Contractors as a Construction General Superintendent and held Superintendent positions before that. These top field positions included developing and implementing Site Specific Safety Programs company wide.
I am Certified with the Board of Certified Safety Professionals as a Construction Health & Safety Technician (CHST). I currently utilize my CHST conducting Construction Safety Oversite as the Owners Safety Representative (OSR) for the University of Southern California’s construction projects. I received my OSHA Outreach Trainer certification (OSHA 500) from the University of California San Diego (UCSD) and OSHA 510 (the pre-requisite to the OSHA 500) from California State University of Dominguez Hills (CSUDH) an off – campus tier to the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) in May of 2015, I earned another certificate in Construction Excavation and Trenching Safety from the CSUDH Riverside Campus and most recently a certificate in Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness.
I’ve completed several contracts with a local based safety company (a similarly safety-based company) as an independent contractor for the third time since 2013 and have performed with great success on five Owner Controlled Insurance Program (OCIP) projects and one Administrator Of the Courts (AOC) project as the Safety Consultant for BCI. Other aspects have included OSHA Safety Training for Southern California Edison Electric, Root Cause/Causal Factor Analysis and strategic risk management.
My most recent accomplishments involve safety oversight at the University of Southern California (USC) for another OCIP as the Owners Safety Representative (OSR) for USC’s $120 million Michelson Center of Convergent Bio Science Building which completed the OCIP on January 31st, 2018. My current projects include, the USC Jimmy Iovine & Andrea Young Hall and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Renovation projects as acting OSR.
I’ve achieved great success revamping and implementing a California based Contractor’s existing safety program that was in disarray, with no oversight of the company’s safety program. Involving over 20 project sites, unresponsive subcontractors to the Site-Specific Safety Programs (SSSP) and no enforcement thereof. I developed the Company’s Safety Orientation Program for new hires, retrained all Project Engineers, Superintendents and Managers, developed and implemented Site Specific Safety Orientation Programs to include incorporating the more stringent safety policy requirements of and for Southern California Edison (SCE) projects, contributing to the Company’s 3.8 of a possible 4.0 combined rating by SCE, measuring performance, quality and safety, making them the highest rated contractor on the SCE GC list. I conducted site safety assessments, causal factor and near miss investigations, recommended corrective actions and provided strategic risk management, ultimately achieving the company’s compliance goals and creating a safety culture.
As an OSHA Certified Outreach Trainer, I maintained the assigned role as one of the trainers for the Orange County Sanitation District as one of the responsible parties for training: office and field staff members in Fall Protection, Blood Borne Pathogens, Scaffold Awareness, Hazard Communication, Spill Response, Fire Prevention, Fire Extinguisher Operation and Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) training. I have extensive knowledge and experience working with subcontractors and their employees. I have been successful in developing and implementing site specific safety programs in order to advance a “safety awareness culture”.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
With over 30 years of hands on experience in the construction and construction safety field, developing, implementing and managing safety policies for high profile commercial & public works projects, including:, Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) projects, I am qualified in site safety, an inspector of means and methods, Site Safety Monitor for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Fire Debris Removal Project, qualifying structures for integrity, identifying hazardous materials and conditions, containment, demolition and abatement.
Eliminating potential risks by exposing safety hazards in management policy, assessing and revealing potential hazards during site safety evaluations, consulting with contractors on alternative methods of tasks, i.e., Best Method Practices, developing Job Hazard Analysis, Pre-Task Planning, instructing Power Point Safety Courses and Outreach Training, Incident Investigations, Root Cause analysis and Causal Factor Analysis.
SO-CAL INSPECTION & SAFETY SERVICES – Present
- Owner/Qualifying Officer/Independent Contractor
- Site Safety Inspector/Investigator
- Strategic Risk Manager
- OSHA Construction Safety Trainer
- Current Contract as OSR for USC Iovine &Young Hall
- Current Contract as OSR for USC LA Memorial Coliseum Renovation Project
SAFETY CONSULTANT, March 2007 – Present
- Identify Hazards and Oversee Corrective Actions to Mitigate Risks
- Conduct Site and Safety Program Assessments
- Develop MSDS Library
- Develop SWPPP’s
- Strategic Risk Management
- Create and Implement Company Safety Policies
- Create and Implement SSSP
- Conduct Cost Estimates
BARRAGAN CORP INTERNATIONAL – Present Sub-Contractor
OCIP Site Safety Inspector/Investigator
OCIP Project – USC OSR Michelson Project
OCIP Project – San Diego County Women’s Correctional Facility (Las Colinas)
OCIP Project – San Diego County Operations Center
AOC Project – Mid County Courthouse Riverside
OCIP Project – Las Colinas Prison
OCIP Project – Harrah’s Casino
OCSD Instructional Safety Trainer
CA CONSTRUCTION, INC., April 2008 – March 2010
- Project Value: $1 million – $7 million
- Project Safety Manager/Superintendent – Commercial/ Public Works Division erecting multi story buildings from sub-level to completion.Contractors authorized safety representative, maintain working knowledge of all project documents.
- Knowledgeable in construction and construction safety
- Write site specific safety plans to meet OCIP’s
- Develop and maintain Site Specific Safety Program, Safety Schedules, variances, critical paths and forecasts using (Microsoft Project)
- Review, research and maintain project Job Hazard Analysis
- Schedule and maintain labor force, safety equipment and materials and coordinate and review all trades safety policies.
- Perform Site Specific Safety Training, Inspections and Tailgate Safety Meetings.
- Developed and maintain MSDS library
- Coordinate implementing safety procedures with owners, architects, engineers and both deputy and city inspectors regarding safety concerns.
- Organize and conducted safety meetings with owners, inspectors, managers and architects.
- Quality Control of construction means and methods.
CA CONSTRUCTION, INC.,
PROJECT SAFETY MANAGER – Commercial Division
- Contractors Project Safety Representative
- Simultaneously manage multiple commercial projects.
- Oversight of Field Superintendents
- Review sub-contractors SSSP
- Maintain project schedules i.e., (Microsoft Project)
- Perform Site Safety Inspections
- Coordinated and conducted project safety committee meetings
- City of Riverside – Magnolia Fire Station Gender Improvement Project
- City of Riverside – Lincoln Police Station Facility Upgrade
- City of Orange – Orange County Sanitation District Facility Upgrade
- City of Riverside – RCRMC Riverside County Hospital
- City of Riverside – CSDR ADMIN California School for the Deaf
- City of Beverly Hills – Beverly Hills Public Works
- City of Beverly Hills – Beverly Hills Fire Station
- City of Ontario – Ontario Fire Station Facility Upgrade
PROJECT RESOURCES, INC. – RORE, GRANITE CONSTRUCTION, MENDOZA CONSTRUCTION CONSULTING and
F.E.M.A. (Federal Emergency Management Agency) August 2007 – February 2008 Project Value $41 million
Site Safety Monitor/ Inspector/Assessor for the San Diego County Fire Debris Removal Project, involving tI Rice, Witch and Harris Fires.
- Monitor and evaluate site activities for proper safety procedures.
- Assess properties (i.e. create site maps, identify hazardous materials, determine integrity of structures and qualify parcels) for County Fire Debris
- Removal Project.
- Inform property owners of service(s) and importance of signing “Right of Entry” for County Project.
- Write and submit “RFI’s” (Request For Information) and “Change Orders”
- Verify and document all debris, hazardous materials, debris loads and abatements.
- Create photo and daily logs for each individual site.
- Document all site safety activities, pre, present and post scheduled work.
- Conducted final inspections, submit completion reports as well as sign off on completed work.
- Delegate instructions for Best Method Practices (BMP) environmental safety/erosion prevention, air quality and fall hazards.
- Coordinate load and weight ticket information of hazardous debris with RORE and PRI offices and GRANITE CONSTRUCTION Field Managers.
- Coordinate site safety plans to reduce field hazards with Health and Safety Officers and Air Quality Technicians.
BUILDING RESTORATION, INC., Lemon Grove, CA
Project Safety Manager/Superintendent
- Contractors authorized safety representative.
- Knowledgeable in construction safety.
- Simultaneously, manage multiple Residential and Commercial Fire Restoration projects along with district jobs for San Diego County School Dist.
- Set up, and maintain Site Specific Safety Program, critical paths and three week forecast.
- Develop and maintain site specific Material Safety Data Sheets library
- Develop, maintain and review Job Hazard Analysis
- Supervising, delegating and coordinating all aspects of project safety.
- Organize safety meetings between owners, inspectors, managers, architects and sub-contractors.
- Working knowledge of specifications and plans.
- Create and maintain employee tracking files
- Conduct jobsite safety evaluations/ walkthroughs
- Manage job quality, techniques and safety performance of all trades.
- Build estimates through “Exactimate”
- Meet with and maintain working relations with insurance adjusters.
- Meet with property owners and clients.
- Pull permits through city departments.
- Research and evaluate new safety products for availability, strengths and weaknesses.
CCR BUILDERS, INC., MUSKEGON, MI – Owner/Operator
- Develop all Safety and Administrative Policies
- Conduct JHA’s
- Operate all job site equipment.
- Create MSDS library
- Train employees in Fall Protection for framing and siding
- Underground safety during construction.
JW OPERATING COMPANY, BURBANK, CA July 1989 – December 1992
Project Value: $95 million – $175 million over 20 years
Methane Gas Recovery and Generating Plant – Plant Operator/ Project Safety Manager
- In accordance with the Solid Waste Management Industry cost projections.
- Solely maintained City of Burbank’s landfill gas recovery and generating plant.
- Optimized power output and synchronized with City grid.
- Scheduled, coordinated, supervised gas well drilling and trenching crews.
- Created, monitored and maintained wastewater treatment facility on site.
- Field testing, i.e., (escaping landfill gases, draw volume, well heads, etc.)
- Test samples, i.e., (gas content, oil, waste water, etc.)
- Create, update and maintain MSDS library
- Create maintenance schedules, manifests, dump schedules, logs, etc.
- Maintain equipment and inventory
- Conduct site inspection and walk through for EPA, OSHA and City officials, investors, etc.
- Companies authorized representative.
- Meet with City Power Officials regarding City and public concerns.
- Implement safety guidelines and procedures
- Meet with vendors, sales persons, inspectors, city personnel, etc.
- Hydrogen Sulfide Gas Awareness Training HazMat Students, LLC
- Construction Health & Safety Technician (CHST), Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP) Excavation, Trenching and Soil Mechanics, CSUDH
- Scaffolding, CSUDH
- OSHA Outreach Trainer – Occupational Safety and Health Standards for Construction Industry, UCSD Fall Protection, UCSD Excavation Trenching
- Soil Mechanics, UCSD
- OSHA Standards for the Construction Industry, UCSD Hazardous Materials, UCSD
- Permit Required Confined Entry, UCSD
- Construction Industry Safety Inspection Techniques, UCSD
- Construction Industry Cal/OSHA Standards for Managers and Supervisors, UCSD 40 Hour HAZWOPER Storm-water Management during
- Construction (Certified) OSHA 30
- HILTI Fire/Smoke Seal HILTI Shot Actuated Equipment ISO 14000 (International Organization for Standardization) OHSAS 18001 (Occupational
- Health and Safety Assessment Specification)
- CPR, First Aid, AED Equipment