Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
EDUCATION Walden University Aug., 2012-May 2015 Minneapolis, MN Masters in Nursing/ Family Nurse Practitioner Norfolk State University Aug., 2005-July-2010 Norfolk, VA 23504 Nursing Associate’s Degree Xavier University Aug., 2004-Aug., 2005 New Orleans, LA 70125 Nursing EMPLOYMENT HISTORY Unity Health Care (Correctional Health Services) June 2018-Present 1901 D St. SE Washington, DC 20003 Nurse Practitioner Provides […]
- Walden University
Aug., 2012-May 2015
Masters in Nursing/ Family Nurse Practitioner
- Norfolk State University
Norfolk, VA 23504
- Xavier University
Aug., 2004-Aug., 2005
New Orleans, LA 70125
Unity Health Care (Correctional Health Services)
1901 D St. SE Washington, DC 20003
- Provides preventative, diagnostic, and therapeutic services to patients
- Obtains medical histories and conducts physical examinations and evaluations as appropriate in Urgent care, Primary care and Infirmary (Hospital)
- Makes diagnosis and prescribes therapeutic measures of care including legend drugs and controlled substances in an
- Urgent care, primary care and Infirmary setting
- Recognizes and manages common acute and chronic illness within scope of practice
- Counsels, advises, and treats patients addicted to opioid, heroin, and alcohol addictions
- Prescribe, manage and adjust Suboxone dosages to meet patients needs
- Develops and participates in screening programs
- Provides immediate emergency care as needed and makes arrangements for transport to appropriate hospital or health services as needed
- Collaborates as needed with social worker, nursing, medical clerical assistant, and physicians
- Conducts peer review and quality improvements activities on a regular basis
Living Health Integrative Medicine
Oct., 2016- Jan., 2017
Annapolis, MD, 21401
Nurse Practitioner (Private Practice)
- Performs initial and re-exams. Evaluate findings and determine diagnosis and develop and prepare appropriate treatment plans.
- Order and interpret laboratory testing and diagnostic testing for the functional medicine and physical medicine patients.
Perform and manage patients that receive medical procedures like trigger point injections, ultrasound guided joint injections and Platelet Rich plasma injections (PRP)
- Document and prepare patient notes and narratives.
- Works as a team player and cooperatively with medical assistants and other support staff.
- Prescribe nutritional supplements and exercise programs for functional and physical medicine patients
Department of Veteran Affairs Medical Center
Nov., 2011- May 2018
Washington, DC, 20422
Registered Nurse (PRN) (Same Day Surgery/ Procedure Unit)
- Provides pre-operative, perioperative and post-operative care to young and older adult veterans getting General, ENT, oral, thoracic, vascular, urological, orthopedic, gynecological, ophthalmologic, and cardiovascular surgeries.
- Assess and document patients medical history, vital signs, finger stick blood glucose, height and weight. Insert peripheral
- IVs and collect blood work and specimens prior to surgery. Make sure informed consent has been obtained. Makes sure patient hasn’t eaten anything since midnight. Assess if the patient has taken any medications the morning of surgery.
- Assess to make sure the patient has stopped aspirin and other blood thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin) or clopidogrel (Plavix) prior to surgery.
- Assess and identify the driver of the patient for transport home. Educate and instruct your patient not to drive for at least 24 hours after receiving anesthesia and to follow the healthcare provider’s instructions about driving.
- Ensure that the operative site is marked prior to surgery. Monitor patients and recover patients from general anesthesia, monitored anesthesia care, regional blocks, etc..
- Provide both oral and written discharge instructions and postop prescriptions including handouts or written information about prescribed medications.
- Teach patients how to change and take off surgical dressings. Teach patient how to use crutches and wear surgical shoes.
- Registered Nurse (Outpatient clinic)
- Functions as Team leader for an outpatient Allergy & Immunology clinic. Oversees two registered nurses and one medical support assistant
- Responsible for monitoring all extracts for expiration and reordering allergy extracts in a timely manner, ensuring proper storage and refrigeration of the serum, administering allergy extract therapy via subcutaneous injections, maintaining all equipment and supplies, ensuring coverage for the clinic, and informing the physician of any changes or issues related to patient care.
- Performs skin prick testing for environmental and food allergies. Performs and interprets spirometry and Niox testing.
- Performs skin prick testing, intradermal testing, and oral challenges for penicillin allergic patients.
- Skillful in performing allergy patch testing, venom testing, food and drug challenges.
- Created Patch and penicillin testing documentation sheets
- Organized and implemented an Allergy and Asthma Awareness Day
- Created and implemented education materials on Allergic rhinitis, skin prick testing, asthma, environmental and food allergies, and Epi-pen teaching
- Created and implemented an educational program for peak flow monitoring for patients with Asthma
- Helped with creating the Allergy Clinic Registered Nurse Competency, Allergy Clinic Standard of Procedure document, and Patch Testing procedure document.
- Created the Allergy Clinic questionnaire for new patients. Created Xolair educational sheet.
- Has been taught and mentored on how to assess, diagnose, and treat patients with common allergy problems like allergic rhinitis, allergic asthma, asthma, food allergies, and urticaria.
Registered Nurse (Inpatient unit)
- Functioned as Charge Nurse on a 24 bed surgical unit of different surgical services i.e., (orthopedics, vascular surgery, cardiothoracic, podiatry, urology, oral surgery, plastics, general-surgery and ophthalmology) identified numerous patient care issues through expert clinical practice.
- Assessed, planned, implemented, evaluated care and documentation on pre-operative, post-operative, and medical-surgical patients. Interacted with patients, their family members and consistently achieves quality outcomes based on medical center performance measures.
- Administered oral, intravenous, intramuscular medications. Administered heparin infusions, total parental nutrition (TPN), patient care analgesia (PCA) pumps, and cooling machines for orthopedics patients
- Completed surgical wound care, ostomy care, and wound vacuum dressing changes. Cared for patients with 3-way Foley catheters and those on continuous bladder irrigations.
The Joint Commission (TJC) preparedness champion for the unit and educated peers on tracers.
Magnet champion for the unit and Co-Chair for Professional Practice Committee. Attended the Magnet Conference in 2013.
Co-chair of Performance Improvement committee. Conducted a Hospital wide presentation on Performance Improvement at the Quality Fair emphasizing PRN effectiveness, falls, plan of care and TJC standards of practice.
Active member of Nurse Professional Standards Board (NPSB). Conducts in-services on the unit for all staff on input for annual proficiencies
Certified preceptor and mentor who works with nurse residents
Provides leadership in the application of the nursing process to client care, organizational process, and or system, improving outcomes at the program and service level.
Maintains confidentiality of client and staff information. Promote patient autonomy by educating them about medical procedures and test.
Maintains professional boundaries and applies ethical principles in daily communication with colleagues, veterans and their families
Collected and analyzed data for 2D staffing methodology and presented to VISN
Completed all annual education requirements and attended Jean Watson Caring Institute
Motivated staff on the unit to become representatives on different committees and to pursue further degrees
Attended evidenced based practice conferences. Conducted and presented evidenced-based practice projects “ Care of Patients undergone Laryngectomy” and Pulmonary Embolism prevention
Collaborated with nurses on other units to develop a charge nurse report sheet and quiet zone project
Developed the Star Card evidenced based practice project for 2D General Surgery and 2D neurology
Family Nurse Practitioner Student- Walden University
Jun., 2014-May 2015
Participated in four clinical rotations in the Washington, DC/Baltimore Area including:
- Urgent Care/Primary Care office, assessed, diagnosed, and treated patients from birth to elderly with acute and chronic conditions. Performed new patient physical exams by doing vital signs, diagnosing labs/x-rays, and taking visual assessments of patients to determine a plan of care. Performed allergy assessments and administered allergy shots to patients of all ages. Performed ear irrigations, electrocardiograms, and pretesting clearance for surgery. Performed weight loss counseling, diet modifications, and administer vitamin B-12 injections.
- OB/GYN women private practice, performed problem focused GYN exams and treatment. Performed Pap smears, breast exams, STD testing, counseling, and treatment. Referrals for GYN surgery.
- Pediatrics Health Clinic, Performed developmental screenings, administers vaccinations, and completes sports physical exams. Assessed, diagnosed, and treated common pediatric illnesses.
- Veteran Affairs Medical Center Implemented, educated and guided patients on disease prevention and healthy lifestyle habits i.e., (hypertension, HIV, smoking cessation, diabetes). Manage overall primary care for patients from young adult to elderly.
Job Related Training Skills, License, Certifications, and Awards
- Registered Nurse License No. Washington D.C
- Nurse Practitioner License No. Washington D.C
- Registered Nurse License No. Maryland
- Nurse Practitioner License No. Maryland
- Nurse Practitioner License No. Virgina
- ANCC Family Nurse Practitioner Certification
- SAMSHA Suboxone Waiver certifcation. DEA X license number
- BLS and ACLS certified, peripheral intravenous insertion certification
- Featured article in the DC Veterans Affairs Nursing Link publication
- Nominated for Secretary of Veterans Affairs Award for Excellence in Nursing 2015
- 2010 Incentive Award-Department of Veteran Affairs Medical Center
- Sigma Theta Tau Member (National Nursing Honor’s Society)
- Norfolk State Nursing Honor Society
- American Nurses Association member
- Nurse Practitioner Association of Maryland member
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioner
- 2007 Dean’s list Norfolk State University
- Intermediate skill level in CPRS, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, and Excel applications