Provides Testimony In
Dental Management, Dental Malpractice, Peer Review, Dental Managed Care, Knox Keene Act, Quality Assurance, Insurance Fraud, Practice Management, Standard of Care, Practice Valuations, Diagnosis, Treatment Planning, Informed Consent, Traumatic Injuries Mouth, General Dentistry,
KEY CAREER ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Actively coach dentists, dental hygienists and students regarding passion for learning and growing within their chosen profession
- Successfully led organizations’ strategic direction and policy development
- Increased productivity, accountability, and operational efficiency to drive profitable growth
- Developed and implemented Quality Management Programs and employer dental benefit programs to increase patient satisfaction and improve outcomes
- Proactively communicated with all organization stakeholders including C Level executives to drive accountability and continuous improvement
- Effectively collaborated with colleagues and staff to empower, mentor, coach and differentiate organizations to achieve goals and objectives
- Expert Witness for dental practice related matters since 1990
Senior Healthcare Executive with experience in clinical dental practice, dental practice management, dental plan leadership positions and as an industry consultant background with special skills that energize organizations to perform effectively with special focus on implementation of company initiatives.
HARRIS DENTAL SOLUTIONS, INC. Los Angeles and Palm Desert, CA
2001 – Present
Harris Dental Solutions is an independent consulting practice that services the needs of dental carriers, dental practices, regulators and dental service vendors
Successfully assist organizations regarding compliance, dental benefit design and quality management
Effectively communicate with insurance companies on a national basis with regard to implementation of policy initiatives
Mentor and coach dentists and associated staff regarding dental practice management issues to grow business, increase sales and collections and to effectively manage human resources
CYPRESS COLLEGE (School of Dental Hygiene) – Cypress, CA
January 2012 – Present
SUPERVISING DENTIST (part time)
Supervise clinical activity of dental hygiene students
Instruct students with regard to clinical practice activities
Screen potential patients for program acceptability
Lecturer – Head and Neck Anatomy
SUNLIFE FINANCIAL – California Benefits Dental Plan, Irvine, CA August 2008 – November 2013
California Benefits Dental Plan is a dental HMO subsidiary of Sun Life Financial, Employee Benefits Group
Developed and implemented enhanced Quality Management Program to meet regulatory requirements
Significantly reduced costs associated with quality management by 50% over a three year period
Successfully led Plan through Routine Compliance Survey with minimal deficiencies
Responsible for the Plan’s Quality Management Program and Plan operations including claims, grievances and appeals, utilization management, provider contract oversight and human resources management. Act as Chairman of Quality Management and Public Policy Committees. Report directly to Plan’s Board of Directors.
WILSHIRE PARK DENTAL GROUP, Los Angeles, CA
2004 – 2011
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, CORPORATE SECRETARY
Wilshire Park Dental Group is a privately held multi-specialty dental group with multiple locations in southern California that has annual revenue exceeding $4 million. The Los Angeles location is an 18 chair dental facility that provides general dentistry, orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontal, implant and oral surgery, and prosthodontic services. Clinicians are owners and all maintain part-time teaching positions at local dental schools.
Grew revenue and productivity from $2.5 million to $4.5 million over the course of two years
Developed and implemented organizational structure and policies to support company growth initiatives
Increased shareholder ROI from 3% to 16% during tenure
In capacity as Executive Director, accountable for the operations and practice management of the group’s practices including but not limited to marketing, production, collections, billing, human resources management, facility management, practice expansion, budget development and expense management.
COALITION OF ORANGE COUNTY COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTERS, Irvine, CA
2003 – 2011
The Coalition of Orange County Community Clinics is a non-profit organization that’s mission is to provide access to safety net medical and dental services as well to diverse populations within Orange County that are uninsured.
Created Dental Provider Forum as a vehicle to educate, mentor and empower clinic dentists to collaborate and share best practices
Established and implemented Quality Assessment program to raise the level of service and comply with requirements of the County of Orange
Provide dental consulting services in the areas of strategic planning, quality assurance, quality improvement, professional education and peer review. Develop, in concert with community organizations, a system of care to coordinate service delivery for the culturally diverse populations that the organization serves. Perform annual quality and scope of services and billing audits to verify compliance with County of Orange guidelines. Advise Dental Provider Forum with regard to ongoing dental industry issues. Conduct quarterly continuing dental education programs.
PACIFICARE HEALTH SYSTEMS, INC., Santa Ana, CA 1994 – 2001
PacifiCare is an industry leader in the delivery of healthcare and ancillary products for employer groups and consumers in eight western states with annual revenue of $11 billion.
VICE PRESIDENT, CHIEF DENTAL OFFICER
PACIFICARE DENTAL (1994 – 2001)
Contributed to management team that achieved profit growth exceeding 15% in each of the last three (3) years.
Led successful development of new Quality Improvement Program to meet or exceed requirements of California Department of Managed Health Care.
Successfully completed contracting with multiple provider networks so as to achieve PPO network coverage for six states.
Led company efforts to acquire government contracts including Geographic Managed Care (GMC)
Successfully integrated provider networks with company acquisition of FHP; achieved over 90% provider retention.
- Prudential Health Care Plan – Dental Director, Western Region – 1991-1993
- Safeguard Health Enterprises, Inc.- Director of Professional Education – 1989-1991
- Practicing and Owner Dentist in multiple locations – 1974-1988
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
- Licenses: Pennsylvania, New Jersey and California
- Boards Passed: National, Northeast Region and California
- Doctor of Dental Surgery – Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- B.A., Biology – Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- Certified Quality Assurance Consultant – CADP – 2001 – 2013
- Associate Fellow, World Clinical Laser Institute – 2008 – 2011
- California Association of Dental Plans – President, 2001 – 2003; Treasurer, 2000 – 2001
- National Association of Dental Plans – Board Member, September 2000 to November 2001
- American Dental Association, California Dental Association, Los Angeles Dental Society – 1991 to present
- Institute for Healthcare Advancement – Advisory Committee, 1994 to 2003
Articles on various dental topics in: Human Resources Magazine, California Broker, Minorities in Business, Employee Benefits News, Managed Dental Care, Fresno County Business Journal, Sacramento Bee, Orange County Business Journal and North Bay Times.