Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Electrocutions, Electrical Shock, Electrical Cause Origin, Apartment Fires, Power Equipment Failures, HVAC Failures, Lightning-Induced Failures, NEC Code Violations.
More than forty years of experience in electrical engineering and has been a Certified Fire and Explosions investigator since 2005.
Independent Consultant, November 2011 – Present.
- Private electrical and fire investigator with a focus on electrocutions, electrical shock, electrical cause and origin of apartment fires, power equipment failures, HVAC failures, lightning-induced failures. NEC code violations are assessed where necessary.
Systems Engineer – Medium Voltage and Batteries: Duke Energy, Shearon Harris Nuclear Plant, New Hill, NC, November 2011 – Present.
- Responsible for 6.9kV distribution and DC distribution, including 125V and 250V batteries. Primary responsibility is to maintain these systems and troubleshoot problems that occur during normal and emergency operations.
Electrical Investigator and Fire Investigator: Forensic Engineering, Inc., Raleigh, NC, July 2002 – November 2011.
- Associate electrical investigator and fire investigator: investigated electrical cause and origin requests, involving: vehicle fires, apartment fires, equipment failures, HVAC failures, lightning-induced failures, electrocutions and electrical shock.
Power Quality Engineer and Project Integration Manager – PT Contractor: Eaton Corporation, Raleigh, NC, October 2003 – 2009.
- Executed power quality investigations of data centers and power distribution facilities, designed and managed the installation of power distribution systems (UPS and generators) in Military and FAA locations throughout the world, conducted short circuit analysis studies and circuit breaker coordination assessments for worldwide locations.
Senior Applications Engineer: Astec Advanced Power Systems, Morrisville, NC, June 2000 – January 2001.
- Responsible for telecom and cellular DC power system designs up to 10,000 amps. Developed new processes for increasing efficiency and accuracy in quotes-to-order.
Senior Electrical Engineer: PWI-Efland Engineering Consultants, March 2000 – May 2000.
- Provided engineering design of renovations and new build to school, pharmaceutical and hospital facilities. Supervised electrical CAD designers. Projects completed or in process include:
- UNC Chapel Hill, NC – dental school renovation.
- McLeod Regional Medical, Florence, SC – chiller and 4160V electrical renovation.
- SELF Memorial Hospital, Greenwood, SC – master plan review and recommendations.
Power Electrical Engineer: Carolina Power and Light, Raleigh, NC, 1998 – 2000.
- Delivered investigative services and turnkey power solutions. This included defining project requirements, tech specification and drawings (AutoCAD) development, and integration of major system components (generator, UPS, TCSS, etc.).
- Total project delivery of 3 generator systems (400 kW, 900 kW, 2000 kW) from technical sales assistance through complete project management.
- Power quality investigation with conclusive solutions for many industrial customers.
Power Quality Engineer: Exide Electronics, Raleigh, NC, 1994 – 1998.
- Conducted over 200 power quality investigations for firms such as BCBS, United States Olympic Training facility. Single point-of-contact for power consulting needs.
Electrical Applications and Power Engineer: IBM Corporation, Poughkeepsie, NY, 1977 – 1993.
- Integrated circuits tester development, application software development, power engineering.
Test Engineer – Avionics, Singer Corporation, Little Falls, NJ, 1977.
Aerospace Engineer – Space Shuttle Program, Rockwell International Corporation, Downey, CA, 1975 – 1977.
Bachelor of Arts, Physics, Queens College of the City University of New York
Masters of Science, Electrical Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, AFFILIATIONS AND AWARDS:
- LICENSED PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER: North Carolina
- CERTIFIED FIRE AND EXPLOSION INVESTIGATOR (C.F.E.I.)
“Power Quality Audits,” Power Quality Magazine, April 1996.
“Power Quality Audits,” Facility Management Magazine, May 1997.
7×24 Exchange, Northwest Chapter Newsletter, Power Quality Series (1995 – 1998):
- “Harmonics, What Are They?”
- “The Price of Faster Microprocessors”
- “Single Point Ground, What?”
- “How’s Your Power Knowledge?”
- “Power Factor Correction”
- “Do You Know Your Emergency Power System?”
- “Transformer…Are They Hot!”
“The Case of the Ladder That Should Have Been Lowered,” EC&M Magazine, April 2005
“Kids to Space: A Space Traveler’s Guide,” Lonnie Jones Schorer, Apogee Books, contributing editor on Electricity and Velocity, 2005.
“The Case of the Floating Dock,” EC&M Magazine, July 2010
April 11, 2006, Cozen O’Connor, Al Nalibotsky, residential fire involving generator – Adams
September 29, 2009, Nationwide,Warren Bruce, residential fire, Charlotte – Dutton
March 3, 2010, Hedrick & Gardner, Reid Russell, apartment fire wiring exam, Raleigh
September 15, 2010, Roundtree & Boyette, Charles Roundtree, Princeville, electric heater failure
September 9, 2011, Nationwide, Karen Smith, HVAC air cleaner, Knightdale
January 25, 2012, Brown, Crump, Vanore, W. John Cathcart, sports bar fire investigation, Apex
Expert Witness ExperienceFebruary 8, 2010, Nationwide, Warren Bruce, residential fire, Charlotte – Dutton