Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Telecommunications, Military, Consumer Products, Broadband Access Networks Wired, Wireless, Optical Interfaces, Analog RF High Speed Digital Circuit Design, Electrical Optical Sensor Circuitry, Video Audio Technologies, Embedded Software Mobile Device Technologies Tablet, Smartphone, Iot, System Architecture For IP Networking, Data Switching Radio Communication, Cloud Computing, Client Server Architectures, Data Center Infrastructure
Expert Witness No.2186
NC licensed professional engineer and USPTO registered patent agent
Over thirty years in R&D for telecom, military, and consumer products
Over ten years in intellectual property management
Named inventor on over ninety issued patents
Intellectual property experience:
- patent/portfolio valuation and technical analysis
- application/claim drafting and prosecution
- licensing/litigation/IPR support (reverse engineering, claim charts, damages, depositions, etc.)
Technical and managerial experience:
- broadband access networks (wired, wireless, and optical interfaces)
- analog/RF and high speed digital circuit design
- electrical and optical sensor circuitry
- video and audio technologies
- embedded software and mobile device technologies (tablet, smartphone, IoT, etc.)
- system architecture for IP networking, data switching, and radio communication
- cloud computing, client/server architectures, and data center infrastructure
Sep 2003 – Present, Principal Investigator
- Forensics services and reverse engineering for consumer and industrial electronics.
Durestec (Part time) Aug 2006 – Present, Consultant
- Licensing, litigation, and IPR support services.
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small business Technology TRansfer (STTR) support services.
NK Patent Law PLLC / Olive Law Group PLLC / Withrow & Terranova PLLC May 2015 – Present
- Patent Agent
- Patent application drafting and prosecution.
OTO Technologies / Concert Technology / Flashpoint Technology Jan 2006 – May 2015
Chief Technical Officer (OTO Technologies Dec 2009 – Jul 2010)
Developed and executed technical strategy for research, acquisition, and licensing of 3G/4G mobile technologies.
- Acquisition patent valuation and due diligence (emphasis on wireless carrier and handset technologies).
- Technology research on advanced bandwidth management and next generation mobile advertising.
- Disclosure development, application filing, and prosecution support including accelerated exam.
- Portfolio preparation and support for contingency firm analysis.
Principal Patent Analyst (Concert Technology Oct 2007 – Nov 2009)
Completed portfolio analysis and conducted research into advance audio/video services and applications.
- Patent valuations, market analysis, and due diligence for portfolio acquisitions.
- Technology research on next generation Internet radio and cloud based multimedia services.
- Licensing materials for acquired and developed portfolios.
- Portfolio preparation and support for execution of patent litigation.
Principal Research Engineer (Flashpoint Technology Jan 2006 – Sep 2007; Sep 2010 – May 2015)
Researched and developed patent disclosures for application oriented IP for newly emerging technologies.
- Continuing prosecution of large patent portfolio relating to advanced IP networks.
- Technology research on digital camera, digital rights management, and advanced networking.
- System definition on advanced advertising, fixed and mobile multimedia services.
- Market analysis for technology research focus areas.
RTI International (Formally MCNC Research & Development Institute) Apr 2004 – Jan 2006
Principal Scientist & Engineering Hardware Manager
Principal investigation for “Center for Advanced Network Research” and management of hardware team for wire-speed protocol implementations.
- Developed system architectures for DWDM 10Gbps grid test beds and smaller wireless ad-hoc networks.
- Researched advanced network protocol stacks using out-of-band control planes.
- Completed research proposals from SBIR/STTR through multi-year Broad Agency Announcements.
- Developed multiple collaborative partnerships with industry and academia.
- Maintained position on technical review board for corporate IP (MCNC).
SheepShank LLC May 2002 – Apr 2004
Founder & Senior Partner:
Start-up seeking funding via VC/Seed/Grants for Innovations in VLSI & data networking.
- Partnership with Duke VLSI Design Center on joint DoD SBIR proposals.
- Multiple speaking engagements on product innovation techniques and SBIR/STTR opportunities.
- Business case development to venture community.
ECI Telecom (Formally Pulsecom) Jun 1997 – May 2002
Director, Centennial Campus R&D Lab (Dec 1998 – May 2002):
Overall technical, project, administrative, and budget responsibility ATM/DSL ASIC and board level development, system integration/test and verification/compliance.
- Developed two generations of core ATM switch fabric modules for broadband multiplexers.
- Completed five feature releases of Element Management System software for Pulsecom product line.
- Operated remote 40 engineer R&D facility conducting multi-site projects with less than 15% overhead.
- Successfully transitioned site from Pulsecom to ECI Telecom ownership in April 2000.
- Completed office and lab fit-ups while enlarging facility and increasing staff.
- Direct reports represented company within DSL Forum, IETF, and ATM Forums.
Engineering Manager (Jun 1997- Dec 1998):
Technical and Project Management of Engineering Staff for Board Level and FPGA development.
- Successfully staffed R&D Team.
- Transitioned product IP from 3-COM to Pulsecom for product implementation.
- Developed first generation packet based DSLAM including three board level developments.
BroadBand Technologies Inc. (Formally Siecor / FiberLAN) Jan 1985 – Jun 1997
Engineering Manager & Founder (Oct 1987- Jun 1997):
Founding member. Technical and project management for system definition and development of Fiber-to-the Curb products, VDSL drop technology for ATM transport (UTP and COAX), low-cost high bit-rate optic transceivers, DS1, DS3, and SONET interfaces, and video compression technology.
- Managed 12 first-pass success ASIC developments.
- Successfully staffed R&D teams for ASIC and board level developments.
- Managed and completed eight joint IP/corporate developments.
Senior Engineer (Jan 1985 – Oct 1987):
Optic Transceivers and Clock Recovery Design. DS1 and Telephony Line-Card Circuit Design. Completed four board levels designs for LAN optical communication products.
ITT (Transmission Division / Fiber Optics) May 1981 – Jan 1985
Senior Engineer (Oct 1984- Jan 1985):
Project and technical management of engineering team for fiber optic transmission systems. Project managed joint IP and development with Samsung for telecommunications system for 1988 Olympics.
Engineer (Dec 1981 – Oct 1984):
Switch-Mode Power Supply Design, DS3 Transceiver Design, TTL and ECL Logic, RF Design, and Circuit Simulation. Completed three board levels designs for long-haul optical transmission systems.
BSEE (1981) North Carolina State University Raleigh, NC