Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Sediment Contamination, Semi-Volatile Organic Compounds, Site Historical Contamination Assessment, Site Reconnaissance, Soil Conductivity Survey, Soil Contamination, Soil Testing, Solvents, Total Petroleum Hydrocarbons, Toxic Metals, Volatile Organic Compounds, Wood Preserving, Wood Treating, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Air Pollution, Ambient, Air Quality Testing, Noise, Soil, Sediment, Groundwater, Surface Water, Water Treatment, Purification, Contaminated Dust, Ecosystems, Abandoned Legacy Sites, Hazardous Waste Management Facilities, Refineries, Chemical Plants, Fossil, Nuclear Power Plants, Geothermal Energy Plants, Manufacturing, Commercial Facilities, Pipelines, Power Transmission Lines, Oil, Gas Exploration
Expert is a registered Professional Engineer and scientist with more than 45 years of experience in multiple phases of environmental engineering and science: consulting, engineering, construction, operations management, office supervision, strategic planning, business development, proposal preparation, project management, litigation support, and expert witness testimony. He has managed and directed environmental projects in a variety of areas including air pollution, ambient air quality testing, noise, soil and sediment, groundwater, surface water, water treatment and purification, contaminated dust, and ecosystems. His experience includes a wide range of sites and facilities including abandoned (legacy) sites, hazardous waste management facilities, CERCLA sites, refineries, chemical plants, fossil and nuclear power plants, geothermal energy plants, manufacturing and commercial facilities, pipelines, power transmission lines, oil and gas exploration and production sites, and public and private properties. He has authored about 60 professional publications and lectures. He has worked on more than 100 litigation cases since 1995 and has testified as an expert witness on multiple occasions (48 depositions and 12 trials). Project categories (alphabetical order) include:
- Chemical fingerprinting
- ExpertConceptual design and site conceptual modeling
- ExpertDecontamination studies
- ExpertElectromagnetic imaging and ground penetrating radar
- ExpertEconomic analysis and engineering cost estimates
- ExpertEngineering feasibility studies
- ExpertEnvironmental impact assessments
- ExpertHealth-based exposure and risk assessments
- ExpertHistorical exposures based on historical emissions and contaminant half-life
- ExpertIn-situ chemical oxidation of soil and groundwater
- ExpertLicensing support for grassroots projects
- ExpertMulti-media environmental sampling and analysis (soil, sediment, soil gas, surface water, groundwater, sludge, ambient air quality indoor air quality, indoor dust, ecosystems)
- ExpertOil and gas legacy site assessment and remediation/restoration cost estimates
- ExpertPhase I environmental due diligence assessments
- ExpertPhase II and III environmental site assessments
- ExpertPollution prevention and waste minimization studies
- ExpertRegulatory compliance audits
- ExpertRegulatory liaison and permitting support
- ExpertSite selection and site evaluation studies
- ExpertSoil and groundwater remediation and restoration of contaminated sites
- ExpertVapor intrusion assessment
- ExpertWater and wastewater treatment PROJECT EXPERIENCE (OVERVIEW)
- Expert has had project and technical management responsibility for more than 500 large environmental projects in the United States and more than 50 international projects, ranging in size from small consulting assignments (a few thousand dollars) to large, multi-disciplinary projects (more than 25,000 professional labor hours) to turnkey engineering-construction projects (ranging from tens of thousands to millions of dollars). He has also provided technical assistance for projects in Mexico, Taiwan, Venezuela, Ecuador, Argentina, Guam, Lebanon, Egypt, Libya, South Sudan, Somaliland, Malasia (Natuna), the Philippines, and Canada.
- Bachelor of Science – Engineering, 1967 – 1971 University of Texas at Austin
- Master of Science – Environmental Science, 1972 – 1974 (night classes) University of Texas at San Antonio
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS (CURRENT AND PREVIOUS)
- Registered Professional Engineer – TX, LA, NE, AL National Society of Professional Engineers
- Phi Eta Sigma Eta Kappa Nu Tau Beta Pi Beta Beta Beta
- Advisory Board: Hazardous Substances Journal
- Peer Review Committee: EPA Office of Research and Development Air and Waste Management Association
- Texas Water Pollution Control Association Houston Engineers Society
- Houston Chamber of Commerce
- International Society of Environmental Forensics National Groundwater Association
- Peer Reviewer: Environmental Forensics Journal
- Member: ASTM Committee on Forensic Environmental Investigations Member: Forensic Expert Witness Association
- Member: Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (International) Texas Board of Professional Engineers – Technical Expert for Enforcement Lecturer – University of Houston Engineering Graduate
- Lecturer – San Jacinto College Construction Management Program ENVIRONMENTAL MEDIA
- Ambient air
- Ecosystems Groundwater Household attic dust Indoor ambient air Outdoor dust Sediment
- Sludge Soil
- Soil gas, soil vapor Surface water
- Chemical Plants
- Electrical Transmission Lines
- Iron, Steel, Aluminum, Chrome, other Metals Plants Manufacturing Plants
- Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Pesticide Plants
- Pipelines (Crude, Product, Natural Gas, Water)
- Power Plants
- Refineries and Fuel Terminals
- Wood Preserving, Wood Treating Sites Commercial
- Dry Cleaners Gas Stations Machine Shops Restaurants Shopping Malls
- Private Property
- Farm Land Ranch Land Residential Areas
CONTAMINANTS AND POLLUTANTS
- Agent Orange
- Burn Event Contaminants Carbon Black
- Carbon Monoxide Cement Dust Chlorides
- Chlorinated Hydrocarbons (TCA, TCE, PCE) Dioxins/Furans
- Food Residue Guar Gum Residue
- Metals (RCRA, Priority Pollutant) Mold and Biological Agents NAPLs (DNAPL and LNAPL)
- Particles, Large to Ultrafine (PM100 to PM0.5) Pentachlorophenol (PCP)
- Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) Pesticide and Herbicides Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs)
- Per-fluorinated Hydrocarbons (PFOA and PFOS) Radionuclides
- Salinity, TDS, Sodium, Chlorides
- Semi-Volatile Organic Compounds (SVOCs) Silicates
- Sulfur, Sulfides, and Inorganics Total Dissolved Solid (TDS)
- Total Petroleum Hydrocarbons (TPH) Viruses
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
- Air, water, wastewater, solid waste, and hazardous waste permitting and regulatory compliance Environmental reports and impact statements
- Expert reports
- Exposure assessments and human health and ecological risk assessments Fate and transport studies
- Forensic investigations and chemical fingerprinting
- Multi-media environmental sampling and analysis (air emission testing, ambient air quality sampling, household dust sampling, outdoor dust sampling, surface soil and subsurface soil sampling, sludge
- sampling, groundwater and surface water sampling, ecosystem sampling)
- Pollution abatement and waste minimization system design and construction Site selection and site evaluation studies
- Fossil-fueled electrical generating stations (natural gas, fuel oil, wood, and coal) Gas turbine and combined cycle units, with heat recovery
- Geothermal and hydrothermal power systems Nuclear power generating stations
- Solar power systems
- Wet, wet/dry, and dry cooling tower systems Wind power systems
Assignments have included:
- Air dispersion modeling Engineering feasibility studies Environmental impact assessments
- Impact of power plant fugitive emissions on receptors Licensing studies
- Nuclear fuel cycle cost analysis
- Pro forma cost estimates and engineering cost estimates Project management and system planning
- Site selection and permitting Regulatory compliance
- Transmission and distribution studies, protective relaying Tort claims from downed high voltage power line
- Conventional drilling
- Direct push technology (Geoprobe, Cone Penetrometer Testing, VibraCore, etc.) Electromagnetic imaging, ground penetrating radar, 3-D seismic
- Expert reports
- Fate and transport assessment (modeling using Rice University, etc.) Hydrocarbon, chlorinated hydrocarbon, metals, salinity, and other plumes Installation of groundwater monitoring wells
- LNAPL, DNAPL, dissolved phase plumes Phase I, II, III assessments
- Remediation (pump and treat, in-situ chemical oxidation, Regenesis, other technologies) Remediation system evaluation
- Sampling and analysis
WATER AND WASTEWATER TREATMENT
- Assessment of effluents in terms of drinking water applications Bench-scale treatability studies
- Carbon nanotubes technology assessment
- Conceptual design of processes involving electro-coagulation/flocculation, filtration, reverse osmosis, ultra-violet light purification, ozonation, chlorination, carbon block filters, and other technologies
- Conceptual design of water and wastewater treatment systems involving the treatment of raw sewage, industrial waste, chemical-contaminated water, and pathogen-contaminated water
- Engineering economic evaluations Expert reports
- Field pilot studies
- Project planning, and engineering feasibility studies Sorbents
- Use of solar and wind turbine systems to power water treatment processes Water and wastewater sampling and analysis
AIR POLLUTION CONTROL
- Air dispersion modeling
- Air permitting for new sources Air pollution control systems Ambient air quality testing Attic dust testing
- Emission estimation Exposure from air pollutants Fate and transport analysis Indoor air quality testing
- Particle identification and speciation Particle size bandwidth analysis
- PSD permitting Resuspension analysis Small particle analysis
SMALL PARTICLE ANALYSIS
- Air dispersion modeling
- Ambient air quality measurement
- Chemical and electron microscope analysis techniques
- Coal fines, aerosols, fly ash, cement dust, carbon black dust, burn events, etc. Emission calculations and measurement
- Emission reduction and abatement Exposure assessment
- Fate and transport analysis
- Fugitive dust sampling, analysis, and assessment Health and safety protection
- Household dust and attic dust sampling and analysis Particle size bandwidth analysis: 0.1 micron – 100 microns Resuspension analysis
- Settling velocity analysis
OIL AND GAS OPERATIONS
- Abandoned sites Background establishment Chemical fingerprinting Electromagnetic imaging Engineering cost estimates Expert reports
- Fate and transport assessments Legacy sites
- Natural resource damage assessment
- Petroleum hydrocarbons, chlorides / salinity, metals, radionuclides Records review
- Remediation of hydrocarbons, salinity, NORM, and metals in soils and groundwater
- Site assessment, including sampling of soil, sludge, groundwater, surface water, and ecosystems Site reconnaissance
- Spill plans Water resources
EXPOSURE AND RISK ASSESSMENTS
- Air, water, soil pathways Ambient concentration studies
- Duration and historical exposure studies Health-based risk assessment
- Inhalation, ingestion, immersion, and dermal pathways Fate and transport studies
- Natural resource damage assessment ENGINEERING FORENSICS
- Allocation and apportionment Identification of source of contamination Good Engineering Practice
- Identification of responsible party Impact to environmental media Product defects and liability Proximate causation
- Standard of Care
- Toxic tort and health injury ENGINEERING CONTRACTS
- Contract compliance Good Engineering Practice Performance metrics Standard of Care
- Product liability
- Damage and loss assessment
PROJECT EXPERIENCE: ENGINEERING COST ESTIMATES
ASCE Level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 estimates Deterministic estimates (e.g., Excel based) Expert reports
Pro Forma cost estimates
Projects: a few thousand $ to several billion $ Stochastic estimates (e.g., Monte Carlo based)
Black Corn Flake Technology to remove petroleum hydrocarbons from a water matrix Generation III water purification using advance UV technology
Patented technology to treat metals, arsenic, and radionuclides in a water matrix
Provisional patents to attenuate and treat viruses in the human body and environmental media Provisional patent to treat autism spectrum disorder
Combined use of sorbents and phase separator chemicals to treat oil spills
PROJECT AND WORK EXPERIENCE
City Public Service (1972-75)
Staff Engineer, Project Coordinator City Public Service
San Antonio, Texas
- ExpertPerformed breakeven economic calculations of coal-fired versus nuclear powered electrical generation facilities.
- ExpertDesigned a conceptual layout of a power transmission line from an existing fossil-fueled power plant to a large cooling reservoir.
- ExpertPerformed economic analyses associated with pumping condenser cooling water and transmitting high voltage power for a conceptual nuclear power plant.
- ExpertPerformed economic analyses associated with various environmental considerations for a conceptual nuclear power plant site.
- ExpertWorked with consultants to develop a site selection methodology for a nuclear power plant.
- ExpertStudied and provided technical coordination of site selection studies for a proposed nuclear power plant. The primary considerations were environmental impact, technical feasibility of the site, and relative economics.
- ExpertAssisted other engineers and scientists in developing a methodology and data base for the selection of candidate sites for a proposed nuclear power plant.
- ExpertPrepared a bid specification for a meteorological monitoring station at an existing fossil-fueled power plant, and then evaluated bids, and recommended a contractor for implementation.
- ExpertPrepared EPA NPDES permit applications for wastewater discharges from fossil-fueled power plants.
- ExpertCollected wastewater samples from a fossil-fueled power plant and had them tested to support EPA NPDES permit requirements.
- ExpertAssisted in the review of the environmental impact statement for South Texas Nuclear Project.
R. W. Beck & Associates (1975-79)
Senior Engineer / Project Manager
R. W. Beck & Associates Columbus, Nebraska Denver, Colorado
- ExpertPerformed an independent review of an environmental impact statement for a coal-fired power plant.
- ExpertProvided environmental inputs into financial feasibility studies and funding for public power supply projects (multiple projects).
- ExpertPerformed site selection studies for several gas turbine, combined cycle, and coal-fired power generation facilities. The primary considerations were environmental impact, technical feasibility of the site, and relative economics (multiple projects).
- ExpertPrepared EPA, BLM, and state permit applications for wastewater discharges (NPDES) and air emissions from several gas turbine, combined cycle, and coal-fired power generation facilities (multiple projects).
- ExpertPrepared EPA / other federal lead agency Environmental Impact Statements for several gas turbine, combined cycle, and coal-fired power generation facilities (multiple projects).
- ExpertPerformed calculations, assisted in the development of computer simulation models, and wrote reports (published by the Electric Power Research Institute and the State of California) which pertained to the relative economics associated with the use of wet, wet/dry, and dry cooling tower systems to dissipate waste heat from the thermal process associated with geothermal power plants.
- ExpertPerformed calculations, assisted in the development of computer simulation models, and wrote reports which pertained to the relative economics associated with the use of wet, wet/dry, and dry cooling tower systems to dissipate waste heat from the thermal process associated with nuclear power plants.
- ExpertPerformed calculations, assisted in the development of computer simulation models, and wrote reports which pertained to the relative economics associated with the use of wet, wet/dry, and dry cooling tower systems to dissipate waste heat from the thermal process associated with fossil-fueled power plants.
- ExpertAssisted other engineers in evaluating the technical and economic feasibility of constructing a grassroots wood-burning power plant.
- ExpertAssisted other engineers in evaluating the cost of nuclear fuel for a nuclear power plant.
- ExpertAnalysis of air pollution control equipment and compliance with Clean Air Act.
Brown & Root, Inc. – Halliburton (1979-80)
Senior Engineer / Project Manager Brown & Root
- ExpertManaged the site selection and environmental permits for a major grassroots coal-fired power plant. The primary considerations were environmental impact, technical feasibility of the site, and relative economics. This included the collection of baseline environmental data.
- ExpertManaged and/or reviewed various environmental permit applications for grassroots coal-fired power plants.
- ExpertAssisted in the development of standardized licensing and permitting support documents to be used on all fossil-fueled power plant projects (air pollution control, water and wastewater treatment, waste management, etc.)
- Pace Consultants and Engineers (1980-83)
- Project Manager and Practice Leader Pace Consultants
- ExpertConducted site selection studies for grassroots chemical plants which included site economics, potential environmental impact, and logistical considerations (multiple projects).
- ExpertStudied the feasibility and associated economics of various methods of managing and disposing of hazardous wastes in the liquid, sludge, and solid forms (multiple projects).
- ExpertPrepared multi-client studies that reviewed the feasibility and economics associated with alternative methods of recycling toxic solvent wastes.
- ExpertPrepared multi-client studies that reviewed the feasibility and economics associated with alternative methods of disposing of toxic wastes in incinerators, landfills, treatment units, deep well injection, etc.
ExpertPrepared a feasibility study for the destruction of toxic wastes using at-sea incineration technology.
- ExpertProvided recommendations to clients who were contemplating entry into the commercial hazardous waste market (multiple projects).
- ExpertPrepared EPA, other federal, and state permit applications for wastewater discharges and air emissions from chemical plants (multiple projects).
- ExpertAssisted other engineers in the evaluation of coal-gasification facilities in terms of market penetration.
- ExpertConstructed supply/demand curves for establishing the pricing of commercial waste management services.
NUS Corporation – Halliburton (1983-90)
Manager of Business Development Regional Manager
Director of Regional Business Development General Manager
NUS Corporation Houston, Texas
- ExpertManaged the regional business development program which included sales, marketing, and proposal preparation for multi-disciplinary environmental studies, permits, conceptual design, engineering design, and remedial construction.
- ExpertManaged a 55-person staff of engineers, scientists, technicians, and support staff in the execution of various engineering and scientific studies, permits, conceptual design, engineering design, and remedial construction. Facilities included landfills, wastewater treatment systems, air pollution control systems, etc. at chemical plants, refineries, fossil-fueled power plants, and energy production facilities.
- ExpertPrincipal-in-Charge for an environmental upgrade program for a major chemical plant in Texas City.
- ExpertPrincipal-in-Charge for RCRA Part A and Part B permit and NPDES applications for refineries and chemical plants in the Gulf Coast region (multiple projects).
- ExpertPrincipal-in-Charge for the conceptual design of a wastewater treatment upgrade program for a major chemical plant.
- ExpertPrincipal-in-Charge for air emissions and ambient air quality testing for a major chemical complex.
- ExpertPrincipal-in-Charge for the remediation and closure of a refinery landfarm (multiple projects).
- ExpertPrincipal-in-Charge for the remediation and closure of a waste disposal area for a chemical plant.
- ExpertProvided oversight for remedial investigations and feasibility studies for CERCLA sites (multiple projects).
- ExpertProvided oversight for vadose zone and groundwater investigations (multiple projects).
- ExpertProject Manager for a major engineering study of the necessary upgrades of a major refinery in Mexico to comply with mirror US regulations.
Roy F. Weston (1990-91)
Project Director Roy F. Weston Houston, Texas
- ExpertServed as Project Director for a wastewater treatment feasibility study for a major petrochemical plant.
- ExpertPrepared a corporate business plan for pursuit of the Mexican environmental engineering services market.
- ExpertPrepared a summary plan for the environmental upgrade of a refinery.
M. W. Kellogg / KBR (1991-92)
Environmental Program Manager M W Kellogg
- ExpertProject Manager for an environmental engineering feasibility study of technical options for the management and disposal of refinery wastes at several refineries and production facilities.
- ExpertProvided managerial oversight of the Benzene-NESHAP upgrade program for seven major refineries.
- ExpertProject Manager for a state-of-the-art environmental engineering study for the American Petroleum Institute on pollution prevention for refinery crude oil units.
- ExpertLead Engineer in the preparation of the 1992 Strategic Business Plan and the development of a project management system for environmental projects.
- ExpertPrepared the environmental engineering portion of a proposal for a turnkey $14 billion international LNG complex.
- McLaren/Hart Environmental Engineering (1992-94)
McLaren/Hart Environmental Engineering Company McLaren/Hart de Mexico
- ExpertManaged three offices with a 25-person staff of engineers, scientists, technicians, and support staff in the execution of various engineering and scientific studies, regulatory compliance audits, due diligence assessments, permits, conceptual and engineering design, and remedial construction. Facilities included industrial and manufacturing sites, orphan sites, pipelines, chemical plants, refineries, and energy exploration sites.
- ExpertProject Manager for exposure and human risk assessment studies for contaminated oilfield properties (multiple projects).
- ExpertProject Manager for the site assessment, human health risk assessment, engineering feasibility study, and remedial construction of a contaminated oilfield property in a residential subdivision.
- ExpertPrincipal-in-Charge for regulatory compliance and site assessment work for a pipeline company.
- ExpertProject Manager for a remedial investigation of a benzene release from an oil and gas field production facility.
- ExpertReviewed remediation plans for a CERCLA site.
- ExpertProject Manager for due diligence assessments, regulatory assessments, risk audits, process safety management studies, technical audits, and regulatory compliance audits for industrial and manufacturing facilities (steel production, refining, petrochemical, specialty chemicals, automotive, and glass manufacturing) in Mexico (multiple projects), including air pollution, wastewater, and waste management systems.
- ExpertDeveloped hybrid US-Mexican environmental regulatory compliance audit protocols.
- ExpertConducted first process safety management study/Haz-Ops study for a glass manufacturing facility in Mexico under new Mexican federal guidelines.
- ExpertConducted comprehensive environmental assessments (air, wastewater, and hazardous waste media) of two major refineries and production areas in Mexico, including the technical and financial requirements to upgrade the complexes to meet US environmental standards.
- ExpertProject Manager for the planning, site characterization studies, remedial investigations, and remediation plans for clean-up of several contaminated industrial sites in Mexico.
- ExpertKey participant and featured speaker in the First International Symposium on Environmental Auditing in Mexico.
- ExpertTaught various training seminars on project management, environmental regulations, environmental control technologies, regulatory compliance audits, process safety management, waste minimization/pollution prevention, and environmental Total Quality Management (TQM) in Mexico.
3TM International, Inc. (1994-present)
President and Principal Engineer
3TM International / Terra Technologies
Technical Liaison to Petra Environmental and Petra Remediation Systems Houston, Texas
- Projects (1994 – 2017):
- ExpertProject Manager for the environmental site assessment and due diligence assessment for the acquisition of 26 oil and gas properties for a major products pipeline company.
- ExpertProject Manager for the collection of environmental and geotechnical subsurface soil samples using direct push technology/cone penetrometer technology for a US DOD site (multiple projects).
- ExpertProject Manager for the collection of environmental and geotechnical subsurface soil samples using direct push technology/cone penetrometer technology for a US DOE site.
- ExpertProject Manager for the collection of environmental and geotechnical subsurface soil samples using direct push technology/cone penetrometer technology for hazardous waste and municipal waste landfills (multiple projects).
- ExpertProject Manager for the collection of environmental and geotechnical subsurface soil samples using direct push technology/cone penetrometer technology for spills sites (multiple projects).
- ExpertProject Manager for the collection of environmental and geotechnical subsurface soil samples using direct push technology/cone penetrometer technology for a nitrate contaminated site.
- ExpertProject Manager for the collection of environmental sediment samples in a bay in Texas using direct push technology/cone penetrometer technology.
- ExpertProject Manager for the collection of environmental baseline data using direct push technology and other techniques for a major refinery, terminals, and service stations in the Pacific Rim.
- ExpertProject Manager for the site characterization of service station sites in Texas (multiple projects).
- ExpertProject Manager for the site characterization of contaminated oilfield properties using direct push technology (multiple sites).
- ExpertProject Manager for the site characterization of a contaminated product pipeline property using direct push technology.
- ExpertProject Manager for the site characterization of contaminated oilfield properties, spill sites, creosote facilities, pipeline, and vacant properties using electromagnetic imaging (multiple projects).
- ExpertTechnical Manager for the collection of soil and groundwater samples at dry cleaning facilities (multiple projects).
- ExpertTechnical Manager for the collection of subsurface soil gas and indoor ambient air quality samples at a high school.
- ExpertTechnical Manager for the excavation and removal of contaminated soil (multiple projects).
- ExpertTechnical Manager for the conducting of laboratory bench-scale treatability studies aimed at evaluating in-situ chemical treatment of soils and groundwater contaminated with BTEX, chlorinated hydrocarbons, and other contaminants (multiple projects) using hydrogen peroxide, Fenton’s Reagent, Oxi, sodium and potassium permanganate, and other reagents.
- ExpertTechnical Manager for the preparation of cost estimates to treat contaminated soil and groundwater using in-situ chemical treatment and other technologies (multiple projects).
- ExpertTechnical Manager for the in-situ chemical treatment of soils and groundwater contaminated with BTEX, chlorinated hydrocarbons, and other contaminants using high pressure jetting and low pressure injection of reagents (multiple projects).
- ExpertTechnical Manager for the in-situ chemical treatment of soils and groundwater contaminated with hexavalent chrome using high pressure jetting and low pressure injection of reagents (multiple projects).
- ExpertProject Manager and provided expert engineering testimony for environmental toxic tort cases involving the following toxic chemicals: PCBs, Dioxins/Furans, Volatile and Semivolatile Hydrocarbons, Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, Toxic Metals and Metalloids, Radionuclides, Biological Agents, and other substances. These cases involved releases of these contaminants from a source into the atmosphere, surface water, groundwater, surface soils, and/or subsurface soils and subsequent impact upon human and ecological receptors.
- ExpertProject Manager and provided expert engineering testimony for environmental toxic tort cases in which I calculated the pro forma cost associated with decontamination and restoration programs for contaminated soils, sediments, and groundwater and indoor living environments at residences and buildings.
- ExpertEvaluated widespread releases of PCBs, Dioxins, and chlorinated solvents throughout a large residential community; environmental media assessed included soil, sediments, airborne dust, household dust, surface water, and groundwater.
- ExpertEvaluated widespread releases of Dioxins throughout a residential community and creek system; environmental media assessed included soils and sediments.
- ExpertEvaluated widespread releases of Agent Orange and Dioxins throughout a residential community; environmental media assessed included surface soils and indoor household dust.
- ExpertEvaluated widespread releases of creosote materials, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and Dioxins throughout a large residential community; environmental media assessed included soil, sediments, airborne dust, household dust, ambient air, surface water, and groundwater (multiple sites and projects).
- ExpertPrepared management summary reports for assessing the technical merits of the case for several creosote sites throughout the US.
- ExpertEvaluated widespread releases of creosote materials and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons throughout a small residential community located in the Everglades; environmental media assessed included soil, sediments, airborne dust, household dust, surface water, and groundwater.
- ExpertEvaluated widespread releases of benzene and other volatile organic compounds throughout a residential community; environmental media assessed included soil, soil gas, and ambient indoor air.
- ExpertEvaluated widespread releases of benzene and other volatile organic compounds throughout the campus of a major high school; environmental media assessed included soil, soil gas, and ambient indoor air.
- ExpertEvaluated widespread releases of VOCs, sulfur compounds, and carbon black throughout a residential area; environmental media assessed included ambient air and indoor dust.
- ExpertEvaluated the releases of toxic mold and other biological agents throughout a residential area; environmental media assessed included soil, sediments, airborne dust, household dust, and surface water.
- ExpertEvaluated the releases of toxic mold and other biological agents, metals, and other substances from poultry operations; environmental media assessed included soil, sediments, airborne dust, household dust, and surface water.
- ExpertEvaluated the widespread release of chlorinated solvents, including DNAPL, into the groundwater beneath a large residential community; source of solvents was an adjacent petrochemical company that had impacted four aquifers.
- ExpertEvaluated widespread release of hexachlorobenzene, other chlorinated hydrocarbons, and hydrocarbons into public waterways and estuaries; source of the contamination was a large petrochemical company.
- ExpertEvaluated the release of chlorinated solvents by a dry cleaning operation onto commercial and residential property.
- ExpertEvaluated the contamination of private ranch land with petroleum hydrocarbons and brines from oil producing facilities; environmental media assessed included soils, groundwater, and surface water.
- ExpertEvaluated the contamination of private properties with chlorinated hydrocarbons from an electric component manufacturing facility.
- ExpertDeveloped cost estimates to remediate and/or restore contaminated properties, including soil, groundwater, and residences as a result of various type of contamination, including hydrocarbon, chlorinated solvent, PAHs, Dioxins, and PCBs (multiple projects).
- ExpertEvaluated the release of petroleum hydrocarbons from underground storage tanks into surrounding soil, groundwater, ditches, and utility corridors.
- ExpertEvaluated the release of pesticides from the aerial application of pesticide-coated rice seed and tail water in an agricultural environment (multiple projects).
- ExpertEvaluated the release of pesticides from a pesticide manufacturing facility into surrounding soils and sediments; environmental media assessed included soils, sediments, and indoor dust.
- ExpertEvaluated the release of brine from a saltwater pipeline into a protected estuary.
- ExpertEvaluated the release of odor and biological pathogens from an open sewage lagoon into a residential community.
- ExpertEvaluated the releases of various chemicals from commercial landfills.
- ExpertEvaluated the release of crude oil from a breach in a crude oil pipeline onto private property.
- ExpertForensic identification of sources of contamination for PAHs, PCBs, Agent Orange, Pesticides, and Dioxins/Furans using chemical fingerprinting techniques (multiple projects).
- ExpertPreparation of pro forma cost estimates to restore contaminated private properties following the failure of a crude oil tank as a result of damage by Hurricane Katrina.
- ExpertPreparation of pro forma cost estimates to restore private property that became contaminated from historical oilfield operations (multiple projects).
- ExpertPreparation of pro forma cost estimates to restore two large refinery complexes in New Jersey by the remediation of contamination and the construction of productive wetlands.
- ExpertPreparation of engineering cost estimates to restore hundreds of impacted properties in Ecuador that became contaminated from historical oilfield operations (public estimate was $27 billion).
- ExpertPreparation of technical review of expert reports involving the nature and extent of soil and groundwater contamination at oil and gas properties.
- ExpertPreparation of engineering cost estimates to remediate and restore oil field sites.
- ExpertEvaluation of emissions from a fossil-fueled power plan in Ohio.
- ExpertTechnical engineering expert for US Economic Opportunity Commission.
- ExpertPreparation of engineering cost estimates to treat frack water and produced water at various shale play sites (multiple projects).
- ExpertCollection of household attic dust samples for major pesticide litigation.
- ExpertPreparation of expert report involving alleged exposure to contaminated construction dust and debris.
- ExpertManagement consulting support to small private oil company.
- ExpertRemediation of soils and restoration of private property impacted by frack-out during the installation of a pipeline.
Recent Projects (2018 – 2021):
Consulting projects, litigation cases, and business initiatives during the 2018 – 2021 timeframe: Air Emissions:
- Air emissions from large-scale sugar cane field burn events
- Carbon monoxide poisoning from auto exhaust inside residential garage
- Coal-fired power plant: fly ash and bottom ash releases to workers and third parties Evaluation of noise levels from sand/gravel mining operation
- Exposure assessment from sulfide compound at terminal facility that resulted in worker injury Fugitive dust from frack sand/gravel mining operation
- Particulate emissions impact to private property from metal recycling operations Pesticide plant: collection of household attic dust samples and air dispersion modeling
- Emissions and ambient air quality concentrations from a commercial meat smoking operation Release of cement dust inside public commercial building
- Release of contaminants from a natural gas well blowout Criminal defense strategy for air pollution source
- Defense strategy for emitter of sterilization chemicals to the atmosphere Fate and transport of odorant in propane gasOil and Gas Sector:
- Enhancement of oil field production yield
- Oil and gas legacy site: investigation of hydrocarbons, salinity, metals, radionuclides in soil / groundwater (multiple projects)
- Oil and gas operating site: investigation of salinity impacted areas Oil and gas operating site: remediation of impacted soils
- Oil and gas operating site: remediation of tank battery
- Oil and gas operating site: allocation and apportionment of remediation costs among operators Release of crude oil and salinity from pipeline (multiple projects)
- Removal of sulfurs and metals from crude oil
- Evaluation of water use for hydrostatic testing of crude oil tank Release of contaminants from natural gas blowout
- Production enhancement of oil producing property
- Remediation consultation for oil and gas service company regarding propane gas and odorant Release of gasoline from a service station and impact to private property
Water, Wastewater, and Groundwater:
- Consultant to new technology for the treatment of metals and radionuclides in wastewater Consultant to treatment of groundwater to produce agricultural irrigation
- Development of provisional patent to treat metals and radionuclides in water Engineering cost estimate for wetlands restoration
- Impact to soil and groundwater from the release of chlorinated hydrocarbons Impacts from a municipal wastewater treatment plant (NPDES, CERCLA) Nature and extent of groundwater plumes at refinery
- Nature and extent of groundwater plumes at wood treating facility Radionuclides in public water supply drinking water
- Release of salinity to crawfish farming operation Treatment of oily wastewater at tank cleaning facility
- Contract dispute over water used for hydrostatic testing of crude oil tank Contract dispute for commercial wastewater treatment company
- Contract dispute involving NPDES discharges from coal-fired power plant and metals smelter Engineer cost estimate model for grassroots water treatment facility
- Engineering cost estimate for a reverse osmosis system in the Philippines Evaluation of carbon nanotube technology to remove metals from frack water
Solar Power Systems:
Conceptual design of solar power systems Engineering cost estimates of solar power systems
Forensic investigation of contaminated Native American property
Forensic investigation of commercial property from release of cleaning agents Forensic investigation of contaminated food
Forensic investigation of private residence with contamination from unknown source Screening of industrial sites in Caribbean area with respect to litigation
CERCLA driven actions for commercial waste processor Evaluation of roof construction defects of a residential house
Impact of aluminum and mercury on neuro-degenerative diseases
Patent work on delivery systems for disinfection of virus-contaminated surfaces Patent work on enteric encapsulation of medical composition to treat viruses R&D with NIH to attenuate viruses
R&D with USDA to attenuate viruses
Impact from Flooding:
Impact to private residence from neighbor property flooding in The Woodlands Impact to rural properties from Hurricane Harvey and from chemical plant releases
Impact to subdivision from Hurricane Harvey
Impact to private residence from poor contouring of subdivision property
Impact to commercial business from adjacent commercial business after pavement construction Impact to private residence from adjacent food establishment
Alleged failure of engineered protective liner system in oilfield environment Alleged failure of water to meet industrial requirements
PUBLICATIONS / PROFESSIONAL PAPERS
Available on Full CV