Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Vehicle fire, Vehicle fire Investigator, Auto Fire, Wildland Fire, Wild Fire, Smoke Detector, Subrogation Fire, Spontaneous Combustion, Arson, Fire Scene Reconstruction, California Fireworks Standards, Pyrotechnics, Pyrotecnician, Fire work Shows, Explosion Investigator, Post Blast Investigation, Fire Debris, Chimney Fire, Fire Cause Origin, Failure Analysis, Movie Special Effects,Roofing Material Fires, Fire Explosion Investigations, Chimney and Woodstove Venting and Fire Causation, Commercial Kitchen Fires, Commercial Pyrotechnics
Expert Witness No. 344
Areas of Specialization
Fire & Explosion Investigations, Chimney and Woodstove Venting and Fire Causation, Commercial Kitchen Fires and Commercial Pyrotechnics.
Background and Professional Experience
- Expert has over 25 years of firefighting experience. He currently holds the position of Senior Fire Investigator and owner of a Private Fire Investigations and Consulting Co.
- During the course of Expert's career, he has participated in over 1,500 origin and cause investigations including, vehicle, structures, chimneys and vegetation fires. He has accumulated 18 years' experience as a solid fuel contractor and inspector and was a regular contributor to "Ask the Expert" in the field of chimney and wood stove codes and safety.
- Expert currently serves on the Technical Committee for the NFPA 211 Standards for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents and Solid Fuel- Burning Appliances.
- Expert serves the fire investigation community as the immediate Past President of the California Conference of Arson Investigators.
- Expert was recently accepted to the Expert Witness Panel in the category of Fire Investigation for the Superior Court of Los Angeles California.
- Expert is well versed in the field of commercial pyrotechnics and has just celebrated his 37th year in the industry.
- Expert has recently been retained by Phil Ackland and Associates as an instructor in the field of Investigating Commercial Kitchen Fires and as their lead Fire Investigator.
- California State Fire Training, Instructor, Oil and Gas Fire School- 1986, thru 1993
- Chimney Relining School, Wood Energy Institute 1987
- Masonry Restoration School, Southwestern Technical Institute 1989
- Fire Origin and Cause – California State Fire Marshal 1989
- Wildland Interface Fire Operations, California State Fire Training 1990
- Tactical Considerations for Structure Fires, San Bernardino Fire Department 1991
- Arson Detection for the First Responder, National Fire Academy 1999
- Methods of Enhancing Safety Education, National Fire Academy 1999
- Arson Scene Search & Evidence Recovery- Public Agency Training Council 1999
- Electrical Fire Investigation- Public Agency Training Council 1999
- Basic Air Operations-S270 United States Forest Service 2001
- Fire Investigation 1 A & 1 B (80 hours-tested), California State Fire Training 2001
- Fire Investigation 2A (40 hours-tested), California State Fire Training 2001
- Advanced Fire/Arson Investigation, California Conference of Arson Investigators (22 hours tested) 2001
- PC832, with firearms, P.O.S.T. Certification (64 hours-tested) 2001
- Level III P.O.S.T. Certification (116 hours-tested) 2001
- Level II P.O.S.T. Certification (277 hours-tested) 2002
- P.O.S.T. Correctional Deputy Academy (296 hours-tested) 2002 Expert Courtroom
- Fire Investigation 2B (40 hours -tested), California State Fire Marshal 2004
- Expert Testimony Program (20 hours – tested), IAAI – 2005
- Investigation of Gas and Electric Appliance Fires, Fire Findings (30 hours-tested) 2005
- Certified Fireplace Inspector, (48 hours-tested) F .I.R.E – 2005
- Introduction to Fire Dynamics and Modeling, lAAI – 2005 (4 hours- tested)
- Understanding the Arsonist, San Bernardino Fire Department 2006
- Prosecution of Fireworks & Explosive Device Crimes, San Bernardino County
- District attorney Office 2006
- Fire Origin and Cause of Wildland Fires, California Conference of Arson Inv. 2007
- Fire Instructor IA, State Board of Fire Services 2007
- Serial Arson Analysis, San Bernardino Fire department 2008
- Advanced Explosive Recognition, CVAI 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 (8 hours each seminar as site Pyrotechnician)
- Fireworks Safety, Pyro Spectaculars 2009
- Advanced Fire/Arson Investigation, California Conference of Arson Investigators bi- annual conference, 2004-2013 (20 hours each bi annual conference)
- Motion Picture/Television- Fire Safety Officer, California State Fire Marshal, 2009
- Ethical leadership in the Classroom, State Fire Service Training, 2009
- The Scientific Method for Fire and Explosion Investigation, lAAI(3 hours-tested)
- Forensic Fire Scene Reconstruction, Dr. John DeHaan, Dr. David Icove, 2010
- Advanced Vehicle Fire investigation CCAI 2010 (co-instructor)
- Utilizing NFPA 1033and 921, IAAI CFITrainer.net (4 hours tested) 2010
- A Ventilation Focused Approach to the Impact of Building Structures and Systems on Fire, IAAI CFITRrainer.net (4hours tested) 2010
- Understanding Fire Through the Candle Experiment IAAI CFITrainer.net (4 hours tested) 2010.
- Effective Investigation and Testimony, IAAI, CFITrainer.net (3 hours tested) 2010
- Ignitable Liquids and Other Burn Patterns, Fire K9.org (2 hours tested) 2011
- Introduction to Wildland Investigation, CVAI, (4hours) 2011
- Wildland Fire Investigation, IAAI CFITrainer.net (5 hours tested) 2013
- Wildland Fire Litigation Conference 2013
- Advanced Wildland Fire Investigation FI-210 NWCG (40 hours tested) 2013
- How First Responders Impact The Fire Investigation, CFITtrainer.net, (2 hour tested) 2013
- Investigating Commercial Kitchen Fires (16 hrs.) (Phil Ackland & Associates 2014
- Advanced Fire/Arson Investigation, California Conference of Arson Investigators (20 hours) March 2014
- Advanced Fire/Arson Investigation, California Conference of Arson Investigators (20 hours) November 2014
- Subrogation College (8 hrs.) National Association of Subrogation Professionals (NASP)
- NFPA 1033 compliance course. 40 hours. California Conference of Arson Investigators March 30-April 3, 2015.
- Advanced Fire/Arson Investigation, California Conference of Arson Investigators (20 hours) March 2016.
- Advanced Fire/Arson Investigation, California Conference of Arson Investigators (20 hours) October 2016.
- Ethics and the fire Investigator CFI Trainer.net 3hrs. January 2017
- Advanced Fire/Arson Investigation, California Conference of Arson Investigators (20 hours) March 2017.
- 2015- Present Instructor, Investigating Commercial Kitchen Fires, Phil Ackland & Associates
- 2011- Present Fire Investigator/Owner, Pierce Fire Investigations, Bakersfield, Ca.
- 2004- 2011 Origin and Cause Investigator, Training Officer, Fire Cause Analysis, Bakersfield, Ca.
- 2002-2004 Reserve Deputy, Correctional Officer, Inyo County Sheriff's Department, Independence, CA.
- 1980-2002 Fire Investigator, Fire Fighter, Fire Apparatus Engineer, Fire Prevention Coordinator, Bishop Volunteer Fire Department, Bishop, CA.
- Chimney Sweep – Owner/Operator – Ye Olde Chimney Sweep, Bishop, CA.
- Solid Fuel Contractor – Educator of fire prevention safety programs, inspections for real estate and insurance companies. Conducted over 10,000 chimney inspections.
- 1980-Present Pyrotechnician, Pyro Spectaculars, Rialto, CA. California State Licensed pyrotechnic Operator
- Certified Fire Investigator (California State Fire Marshal)
- Certified Fire Investigator (California Conference of Arson Investigators)
- Certified Fire Investigator (International Association of Arson Investigators) (Pro Board Certified)
- Certified Chimney Sweep (GSCSG)
- Certified Fireplace Inspector F.I.R.E. (Fireplace Inspection Research and Education Service)
- Certified Solid Fuels Inspector (Independent Safety Commission)
- Certified Fireplace Technician F.I.R.E. (Fireplace Inspection Research and Education Service)
- Certified Gas Appliance Technician (Cal Gas)
- California Pyrotechnic Operator (California State Fire Marshal)
- Fire Fighter I (California State Board of Fire Services)
Firefighter of the Year, Bishop Fire Department 1997
- California Conference of Arson Investigators (Round Table Coordinator, Board of Director)
- National Association of Fire Investigators International Association of Arson Investigators California State Fire Fighters Association (Past Director) San Bernardino County Fire/Arson Association
- Central Valley Arson Fire / Arson Association (Training Committee)
- International Association of Fireplace and Chimney Inspectors (Western Director)
- Fireplace Investigation & Research Education (Education Development Committee) Southern California Fraud Investigators Association
- National Fire Prevention Association (Member Technical Committee to NFPA 211) Western States Auto Theft Investigators (Central Valley Chapter)
- Pyrotechnic Operator, Office of the State Fire Marshal
- Private Investigator , Bureau of Security& Investigative Services