Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Software, software Development, Software Licensing, Licensing, Outsourcing, Cloud, Cloud Computing (SaaS and IaaS), Software as a Service, Hosting, Professional Services, Consulting Services, Statements of Work, SOWs, Information Technology, IT, Internet of Things (IoT), Application Programming Interfaces (93APIs94), Software Development Kits (93SDKs94), ERP, SCM, CRM, EULAs, Open Source, Mobile Applications, Development Agreements, Distribution Agreements, Procurement Agreements, Purchase Agreements, Marketing Agreements, Sales Agreements, VAR, Value Added Resellers, OEM and Reseller Agreements, NDA, Non Disclosure Agreements, Subscription Agreements, Procurement Agreements, Contingent Labor Agreements, Resolving IT related disputes both pre litigation and during litigation
Expert No. 1185
Business oriented attorney with extensive experience in commercial contracting with a focus on technology licensing. Expertise in new business development and business operations within a global environment. Demonstrated abilities in complex contract development, review and negotiation. Proven success creating and implementing processes and procedures that significantly reduce costs and risk. Excellent leadership, consensus building, and problem resolution skills as well as strong business acumen.
Interim General Counsel
Astea International Inc., Horsham, Pennsylvania (2016 to Present)
- Responsible for all legal matters of a publicly held software company including drafting and negotiating global SaaS/hosting/cloud and software licensing and vendor agreements, employment matters, real estate leases, litigation and intellectual property protection. Drafted and negotiated a broad range of policies and procedures for compliance purposes as well as template agreements for use by global sales teams. Counseled executive management on all legal issues including potential litigation and intellectual property matters.
Accenture LLP, Arlington, Virginia (2014 to 2016)
a $33B NYSE company with 375,000 employees world-wide
- Supported the development of Accenture’s Internet of Things (IoT) platform on a global basis including drafting and negotiating agreements for all third party components (hosting, software, APIs, and SDKs), client agreements (both for SaaS and on-premises licenses), mobile app EULAs, and open source components.
- Advised Accenture’s Mobility development teams on the creation and development of new IoT vertical offerings and mobile apps including potential regulatory issues, privacy/data impact assessments and all related marketing collateral.
- Developed Accenture Digital’s offshore non-disclosure (NDA) review process and managed the review of all NDAs and open source software for Accenture’s Mobility practice.
Private Consulting, Baltimore, Maryland (2013 to 2014)
- Drafted and negotiated a broad range of global commercial agreements and documents including hosting and cloud agreements, software, mobile application and development agreements, distribution agreements, real estate leases, procurement and purchase agreements, services agreements, software licenses, SOWs, marketing and sales agreements, global OEM and reseller agreements, and equipment manufacturing agreements.
Representative clients include: Accenture, LLP, Accusoft, Inc., Air Distribution Technologies, Inc., Air System Components, Hart & Cooley, Johnson Controls Corporation, Koch Filter, Pace Harmon, Inc., Philo Broadcasting, Inc., Ridge Partners, LLC, Ruskin Companies, Secure-24, Inc., Selkirk Corporation, and Wink N Nod, LLC.
Computer Sciences Corporation, Falls Church, Virginia,
a $15.5B NYSE company with 93,000 employees world-wide
Deputy General Counsel, Hanover, Maryland (2008 to 2013)
Associate Deputy General Counsel, Hanover, Maryland (2004 to 2008)
Assistant General Counsel, Hanover, Maryland (1996 to 2004)
General Counsel, Secretary, CSC Intelicom, Inc., Bethesda, Maryland (1990 to 1996)
- Drafted, negotiated and advised on complex global commercial agreements including software licenses, cloud (SaaS and IaaS), hosting and subscription agreements, professional and IT services agreements, SOWs, marketing and sales agreements, procurement agreements, global alliance and reseller agreements, contingent labor agreements as well as real estate leases and merger and acquisition agreements.
- Lead attorney for CSC’s $10B domestic commercial business units, including Outsourcing, Business Solutions, World Sourcing and all industry verticals including Financial Services, Banking, Insurance, Healthcare and Technology.
- Worked directly with Group and Sector Presidents to implement and achieve quarterly financial goals and strategies on a global basis.
- Reduced litigation and litigation expenses by 90% in three year period as lead counsel for CSC’s industry verticals. Created and implemented “pre-litigation” early warning process.
- Spearheaded development of CSC’s evolving global IP policies and global IP portfolio.
- Created deal tracking pipeline allowing global legal staff to monitor and track significant deals.
- Initiated and delivered numerous legal training programs to U.S. business teams consisting of lectures, guidebooks, checklists, forms and annotated agreements on such topics as intellectual property, contract negotiations, HIPAA, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and data privacy.
- Significant international experience in Europe, South and Latin America, Africa, Middle East, and Asia handling all aspects of commercial transactions and local compliance issues.
- Led legal support for CSC’s $6B global supply chain and successfully transitioned legal support for CSC’s supply chain to India.
- Led legal teams for all domestic acquisitions and divestitures and post-acquisition transitions including $1.3B acquisition of Covansys Corporation (NASDAQ: CVNS) and $365M acquisition of First Consulting Group (NASDAQ: FCGI).
- Managed and led all material commercial litigation including contract, employment and bankruptcy claims and appeals.
- Management, oversight and mentoring of legal staff of up to 30 people and associated budgets in excess of $15M.
Associate General Counsel, Assistant Secretary, International Mobile Machines Corporation (now
Interdigital Corporation), King of Prussia, Pennsylvania (1987 to 1990)
- Provided legal support for all commercial operations for a $30MM publicly held manufacturing company, including investment banking activities and litigation management.
- Coordinated preparation and approval of all public materials, press releases and shareholder communications. Initiated and implemented corporate export and trademark policies and securities compliance procedures.
- Managed risk management program, and all securities filings.
Associate, Weinberg and Green (now Saul, Ewing), Baltimore, Maryland (1985 to 1987)
Associate in corporate and healthcare departments.
Master of Business Administration, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Juris Doctor, The Columbus School of Law, The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C.
Staff Member, Catholic University Law Review
Editorâ€‘inâ€‘Chief, The Journal of Contemporary Health Law and Policy
Bachelor of Arts in Economics, Trinity College, Hartford, CT
Admitted to Maryland and the District of Columbia
Q (Top Secret)(inactive)
Author, A Practical Guide to Software Licensing for Licensees and Licensors (6th ed. ABA Press)
Editorial Board, The Computer & Internet Lawyer
Past Chair, Business Law Section, Maryland State Bar Association
Past President, Association of Corporate Counsel, Baltimore Chapter