Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Import, Export, Air Freight, Ocean Freight, Nationwide U.S. Customs Broker, Consulting, Trucking, Rail
EXPERT WITNESS NO. 2545
Expert began her career in international trade in 1974 – negotiating international letters of credit for full vessels of grain in the Pacific Northwest. Later, she got involved in the first containerized shipments. She has negotiated international transactions worldwide – import and export.
In 1987, she became founder and holder of the mission of an international and domestic freight forwarding firm. This business became Earth Cargo, Inc. and takes care of its client’s logistics concerns. This includes negotiation and commitment to steamship line contracts. As an additional service, in 1991, Earth Customs, Inc. was established to handle the U.S. Customs clearance for importing clients. Earth Consulting, Inc. was established in 2014 to take care of client’s consulting needs that relate to international trade and transportation. Ms. West has spoken on panels at international trade events. Her ambition is to continue her efforts to design new business offers that take care of government regulations and produce relevant value for the clients in her businesses. Expert’s credentials are:
LICENSED CUSTOMS BROKER – 1991 to present (to achieve this license, a candidate must pass a rigorous exam, undergo an extensive background check by the federal government and provide the federal government the appropriate fees and reports).
C.C.S. (CERTIFIED CUSTOMS SPECIALIST) – Since inception of the credential to present. Issued by National Custom Brokers and Freight Forwarders Association of America, Inc.
IACSC – Indirect Air Carrier Security Coordinator for Earth Cargo, Inc. from 2007 to 2014 for TSA corporate requirement.
U.S. CUSTOMS COMPLIANCE CONSULTANT – 1996 to present.
EXPERT WITNESS – handling cases from 2000 to present.
C.E.O. AND PRESIDENT OF EARTH CARGO, INC. – 1987 to present
C.E.O. AND PRESIDENT OF EARTH CUSTOMS, INC. – 1991 to present
C.E.O. AND PRESIDENT OF EARTH CONSULTING, INC. – 2014 to present
DIRECTOR, NATIONAL CUSTOMS BROKERS AND FREIGHT FORWARDERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA, INC. – 4/2004 to 4/2008 (MEMBER – PRESENT)
DIRECTOR, LOS ANGELES CUSTOMS BROKERS AND FREIGHT FORWARDERS ASSOCIATION – 1/2000 to 1/2007 (MEMBER – PRESENT)
MEMBER, FOREIGN TRADE ASSOCIATION OF SO. CALIFORNIA (Previous Director).
BUSINESS EDUCATION WITH THE AJI NETWORK 1996-2003
LIST OF EXPERT WITNESS CASE OVERVIEW SINCE 2000:
- 12/2000 – Reviewed documentation and gave a deposition on a case involving cargo that was lost in transit to a foreign trade zone warehouse, being transported in-bond. Represented Plaintiff.
- 10/2003 – 4/2005 – Reviewed documentation and testified in court on a case involving a trucking company that lost freight that was not legally entered into the commerce of the U.S. Represented Defendant.
- 5/2004 – Reviewed depositions in an Air Courier Service case involving cargo loss and trucker/forwarder responsibility. Represented Plaintiff.
- 5/2005 – Reviewed documentation and depositions on a case involving trucking cargo loss. Represented Plaintiff.
- 10/2006 – Reviewed documentation and depositions on a case involving exclusive rights for importing wine and valuation for damages based on import shipments. Represented Plaintiff.
- 1/2007 – Reviewed documentation on a case involving a trucking company and actual owner of rights to licenses of business. Represented Plaintiff.
- 1/2008 – 9/2008 – Reviewed documentation and depositions, gave deposition and testified in jury trial on case involving ocean freight forwarder that released cargo without receiving original house bill of lading. Represented overseas Plaintiff.
- 09/2009 – Reviewed documentation involving an importer that received incorrect goods and customs valuation of subject goods to determine damages. Represented Plaintiff.
- 04/2012 – Reviewed documentation, gave deposition and prepared report for Federal Court on a case involving cargo loss on two ocean import shipments. Represented Defendant.
- 05/2012 – Reviewed documentation and gave deposition out of state on a case involving improper filing of U.S. Customs entries on antidumping product. Represented Plaintiff.
- 05/2014 – Reviewed documentation and gave deposition regarding a case involving Licensed Customs Broker and Freight Forwarder standard practices and responsibilities. Representing Defendant.
- 06/2014 – Reviewed documentation and prepared report for Federal Court on a case involving project cargo exported from the U.S. and then seized after arriving in the destination country. Gave deposition out of state. Representing Defendant.
- 9/2014 – Reviewed documentation and gave deposition for a case involving a trucking broker and the business responsibilities/requirements to operate a trucking brokerage company. Represented Defendant.
- 4/2015 – Reviewed documentation and prepared Declaration for case involving standard practices of cargo being loaded on motor carrier. Motor Carrier was not vetted and cargo was stolen. Represented Plaintiff.
- 5/2015 – Reviewed documentation and testified in arbitration on the east coast for a case involving an ocean carrier and the standard practices/responsibilities when arranging international shipments. Cargo at issue was contracted with the Department of Defense. Represented Plaintiff.
- 3/2016 – Reviewed documentation and prepared a report for Federal Court for a case involving a vessel that caught fire and standard industry practices of parties involved. Represented Defendant.
- 4/2016 – Reviewed documentation relating to a case involving a Customs Broker and the standard document flow and responsibilities of parties in import transactions. Represented Defendant.
- 4/2016 – Reviewed information on a case involving an importer and their business practices to determine if their practices were standard industry practices. Represented Plaintiff.
- 11/2016 – Reviewed documentation on a case involving imported shipments of defective cargo. Importer and their business practices of importing the cargo were not standard in the industry. Represented Plaintiff.