Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Licensed Clinical Social Worker,Tribal Social Services Director, Psychotherapist, Special Education Counselor, Indian Child Welfare, Tribal Member,
Expert Witness No. 2875
Tribal Member and Tribal affiliation:
I am an enrolled member of the Yurok Tribe located in Del Norte and Humboldt Counties. I am also a descendant of Tolowa, Karuk, Chetco, and Cherokee lineage. My family and I actively participate in our culture, dances, community, and tribal traditions.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker, California Board of Behavioral Sciences
- Master Degree in Clinical Social Work, Portland State University
- Bachelor Degree of Social Science, Humboldt State University
- Minor Degree Native American Studies, Humboldt State University
- Indian Teacher Education Program Certificate, Humboldt State University
- Certified Mediator, Southern Oregon State University
- School Counselor Program, Sacramento State University
- Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPS) School Counseling, California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
ICWA Expert Witness and Consultation Services, 2001-present
As an Expert Witness, I have provided Declarations and testimony in hundreds of cases in the past 17 years. I have worked with many Counties and Courts in Oregon, California, Nevada, Rhode Island, Arizona,Washington, Nevada, Colorado, and Idaho. I work with County Counsel, the District Attorney, the State Attorney General’s office, County and State Social Workers, and tribe’s.
I have worked with and provided ICWA Expert Witness services for the following Tribes; Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde in Oregon, Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Tribe in Oregon, Smith River Rancheria in Smith River Ca., Tolowa Tribe in Smith River Ca., Lummi Tribe in Washington, Quinault Tribe in Washington, Nez Perce Tribe in Idaho, Puyallup Tribe in Washington, Yakama Tribe in Washington, Snohomish Tribe in Washington, Tulalip Tribe in Washington, Wiyot Tribe in Ca., Yurok Tribe in Ca., Chickasaw Nation, Cherokee Nation, Oklahoma, Karuk Tribe in Ca., Tlingit Tribe in Alaska, Round Valley Pomo Tribe Wailaki, Concow, Nomalaiki, Pit River, and Paiute on the Covelo Reservation, Pomo Tribe Ukiah, Lakota Tribe in South Dakota, Navajo Nation in New Mexico, Pima Tribe in Arizona, Tohono O’odham Nation in Arizona, Miwok Tribe in Ca., Chickasaw Nation, Choctaw Nation, Asa’carsmariut Tribe Alaska, Native Village of Noatak Alaska, Bear River Band of Rohnerville Rancheria, Ca., Cherae Heights Indian Community of Trinidad Rancheria, Ca., Dry Creek Rancheria of Pomo Indians in Ca., Paiute Tribe in Nevada, Modoc Tribe, Hoopa Valley Tribe in Ca.,
Mooretown Rancheria of Maidu Indians in Ca., Resighini Rancheria in Ca., Santa Ynez band of Chumash Mission Indians in Ca., Table Bluff Reservation of Wiyot Tribe in Ca., Tuolumne Me Wuk Indians, Cheyenne River Sioux, South Dakota, Kickapoo Tribe, Kansas Ute Indian tribe in Utah, Shoshone Tribe in Nevada, Apache Tribe in New Mexico, Big Lagoon Rancheria in Ca., Arapaho Tribe in Colorado, Hopi Tribe in New Mexico, and the Cheyenne Tribe, Oglala Sioux, Pine Ridge Sioux, Arapahoe,
Psychological Services Counselor, Del Norte County School District, 04/2002-08/2014 Worked with ethnically diverse populations in a community that has a 16 % population of Native Americans that represent over 20 different tribes. Worked with economically disadvantaged families with social, psychological, and emotional difficulties. I provided family home visits, group and individual counseling, crisis response, suicide intervention and assessment, mediation services, and referrals for youth k-12. I also collaborated with local Tribal programs, school administration, law enforcement, juvenile hall, social services, and other related services in our community.
Social Services and ICWA Director, Yurok Tribe California, 01/2001-04/2002 Supervised staff, collaboration with county, state, and federal programs to assist and maintain the Yurok Tribe’s Social Services Programs; supervision of the Indian Child Welfare Program, The USDA Commodities Food Program, The Domestic Violence Prevention Program, Youth Prevention Program, the General Assistance Program, and The Emergency Assistance Program.
Chairman, Citizen Review Board (CRB), Klamath County Oregon, 1998-2000 Reviewed case files and made recommendations for Oregon Youth Authority cases for children and families and the Oregon Department of Health and Human Services.
Social Worker/Intern Therapist, Klamath Tribes Oregon, 02/1996 -04/2000 Collaborated with the Oregon Youth Authority, Juvenile Hall, County and State Courts, and the State of Oregon’s Department of Health and Social Services. I also provided social work services, therapy for youth and families, alcohol and drug counseling, anger management services, mediation, and crisis prevention to tribal members.
Health Promotion Coordinator, United Indian Health Services, 1995-1996 Provided youth prevention activities for Native American Youth located within the
Humboldt and Del Norte County Service areas. I coordinated and implemented drug and alcohol free programs for Native American youth ages 13-18.
Special Training, Seminars, Coursework
National Indian Child Welfare Association (NICWA) Conf., North Coast Inn California National Indian Child Welfare Association (NICWA) Conf., Siletz Oregon
Indian Child Welfare Conference, Yurok Tribe Native Child Welfare Seminar, Humboldt St. Univ.
Indian Criminal, Civil, Juvenile delinquency and child protection Court Procedures I /II, L.V.
National Indian Child Welfare Conference on Child Abuse and Neglect, Reno Nevada. Counseling Techniques for American Indian Students, Humboldt State University Yurok Language, Humboldt State University
Seminar on Indian Law and legal issues, Klamath Tribes Current Topics in Indian Affairs, Humboldt State University
Native Americans in Northern California, Humboldt State University Bilingual Methods in Native American Education
Suicide Prevention and Intervention, Indian Health Services, Portland Or. Contemporary Issues in American Indian Ed, Humboldt State University 636 and Indian Law, Klamath Tribes
Native American Children and Clinical Social Work, Klamath Tribes Gang Prevention and intervention in Indian Country, Klamath Tribes
1997-2000 Indian Child Welfare Trainee Scholarship, Casey Foundation, Portland State University
Grant Writing for American Indian Programs, Humboldt State University Basics of Indian Law, Klamath Tribes
Applied Native American Mythology, Humboldt State University
Volunteer Work Experience
- 2013-2014 Native American Task Force, Del Norte Unified School District 2010-2014 Native American Advisory Council, Humboldt State University
- 2010-2014 Justice Advisory Board, Yurok Tribe
- 2008-2012 Social Services Advisory Board, Yurok Tribe
- 2003-2008 Traditional Yurok Salmon Cook, Johnson O’Malley Program
- 2002 Fisheries Camp Director, Klamath River Intertribal Fisheries Commission: Salmon Restoration for Hupa, Klamath, Yurok, and Karuk Tribes
- 2002-2003 Coordinator Traditional Yurok Drum Making Class, Del Norte County Schools
- 2002-2003 Native American Club Advisor, Del Norte High School 1996-1999 Director, Cross Culture Camp, Klamath Tribes
- 1999-2000 Clinical Therapist Internship, Chiloquin High School, Portland State University
- 1996-2000 Board Member, Indian Child Welfare Task Force, Klamath Tribes 1996-2000 Indian Child Protection Team, Klamath Tribe’s
- 2002-2003 Guest Lecturer, Southern Oregon State University
- 2003 Guest Speaker, College of the Redwoods Native American Motivation Day
- 2003 Guest Lecturer, Humboldt State University, Native American Youth Resiliency
- 2005 Guest Lecturer, College of the Redwoods, Clinical Counseling for Natives Youth
- 2002-2003 Board Member, Del Norte County Child Care Council 1995 Tournament Director and Organizer, Yurok Stick Games 1994-1995, Board
- Member, Yurok Tribe’s Head Start Policy Council
- 1995-1996 Board Member, American Indian tobacco Education Network 1991-1992 Tutor, Title VI program, Indian Education, Eureka High School