Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Maritime, Marine Safety & Accidents, Seamanship, Ship Stability, Cargo Handling, Stevedoring, Piloting, Navigation, Freighters, Bulk Carriers, Break Bulk, Tankers, Passenger Ships, Tugs, Towing Vessels, Supply Boats, Offshore Safety, Vessel Security, Port Security, Pilot Boarding
I am a dedicated professional mariner with thirty years’ experience in the maritime industry both afloat and ashore. Having sailed as department head aboard ships with American as well as multinational crews and with union and non-union crews. I consider myself a team player, but work equally well independently. I have been recognized for the quality of my work and excel at problem resolution.
Operating a maritime consultancy I am a Cook Islands and Republic of Vanuatu Flag state surveyor, an ISM/ISPS/MLC auditor, a Lloyds Register certified ISM and MLC-2006 internal auditor. My services include on and off hire surveys, warrantee surveys, safety inspections, casualty investigations and petroleum loss prevention of tankers pier side and super tankers lightering offshore. I have worked as a longshoreman, operating ships gear, driving, loading and discharging bulk, Ro-Ro and container ships. I am a USCG and MCA designated instructor and examiner providing class room instruction, training onboard ship and in port facilities.
I perform crew training and safety inspections aboard yachts, tugs and barges, passenger and cargo vessels and have trained port workers in Hazmat and port security awareness. As Safety Officer and instructor I have provided training to individuals and small groups all the way to auditoriums of several hundred crew. I have been involved in shipyard repair programs, major hull conversions and acceptance sea trials. I have supervised U.S.C.G. mid period and C.O.I. inspections, SOLAS and A.B.S. inspections and initial passenger ship inspection for foreign flag passenger ships operating in U.S. waters. Sailing as Safety Officer aboard passenger ships, I was responsible for all aspects of onboard safety. Part of my responsibilities was the development and implementation of standardized training programs for compliance with U.S. Coast Guard and International Maritime Organization regulations. I have written training curriculum which has been approved by the National Maritime Center. I serve as a subject matter expert in admiralty litigation in the field of maritime safety, navigation and vessel operations.
I have served as Master of a 16,000 GT passenger ship, a series of 26,000 GT new build tankers and an 824,000 bbl. VLCC. My collateral duties have filled the billets of Force Protection Officer, Chemical, Biological and Radiological Defense Officer and Ship Security Officer. My work with National Marine has involved the arrest of ships as agents for the U.S. Marshall and the recovery of yachts.
I have served as Mate and Master of ocean towing and salvage vessels engaged in towing ships, barges and oil rigs. I have provided support for research vessels working on cable retrieval and repair, anchor handling, hydrographic surveys, and operating with warships and aircraft. While serving as Chief Mate, my vessel successfully salvaged the Nigerian Navy Corvette Erin Omi from the beach outside of Lagos, Nigeria. While serving as Master, my salvage tug extricated the cruise ship Royal Viking Sky from coral reefs outside of Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.
It was my privilege to participate in Operation Just Cause, Operations Desert Shield, Storm and Sortie, and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
DEEP SEA EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
• Cetacean Marine: December 2014
Master, commissioning sea trial VLCC Eagle Bay
• Interocean American Shipping: August 1998 – January 2013
Master I.A.S. Sea Trial Team. Chief Mate aboard geared freighter/Ro-Ro. Chief Mate and 2nd. Mate MARAD missile tracking ship. 2nd. Mate large trailer ship. 2nd. Mate heavy lift crane ship. Second Mate FSS (SL 7) Sea Trial Team.
• National Marine: 2009 – January 2013
Vessel recovery, Master passenger ship
• Maersk Line Limited: 2008 – September 2010
Second Mate FSS (SL 7) Sea Trial Team
• SeaEscape Cruise Line: January 1997 – February 1998
Passenger ship safety officer
• Bay Ship Management: June 1996 – November 1996
3rd Mate LMSR shipyard conversion
• Ogden Marine Inc.: January 1996 – February 1996
3rd. Mate geared bulk carrier
• Osprey Ship Management: March 1994 – July 1994
3rd. Mate geared freighter/Ro-Ro
• Interocean Ugland Management Corp.: October 1990 – April 1993
Chief Mate Ro-Ro, Chief Mate crane ship
• Sea Mobility Inc.: June 1990 – August 1990
2nd. Mate TAGOS ocean surveillance ship
• Crowley Maritime Corporation: January 1987 – February 1990
3rd. Mate and 2nd. Mate geared container and Ro-Ro ships.
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION
• Cook Islands and Vanuatu Flagstate Surveyor. ISM/ISPS/MLC Auditor
• Lloyds Register ISM and MLC-2006 Internal Auditor
• United States Coast Guard Qualified Assessor
• Simulator Instructor Course
• Instructor, Supervisor and Assessor (Train the Trainer) Qualification Course
• Basic Safety Training Course
• ATO/FPO Anti-Terrorism Officer/Force Protection Officer, U.S. Navy Level II
• Antiterrorism Training Officer Course
• Shipboard Security Tactics for Mariners
• Maritime Antiterrorism and Crisis Management
• Crowd Control and Crisis Management
• Sealift Cargo and Communications Program
• U.S.N. Small Arms
• 24 Hour Company and Ship Security Officer Course. (ISPS Code)
• International Vessel, Company and Port Facility Security Officer Instructor Certificate (TTT)
• CBRD-O Chemical, Biological and Radiological Defense Officer
• Chemical, Biological and Radiological Defense Orientation
• Afloat Environmental Protection Coordinator Course
• MARAD Hazmat-Hazwoper 24 hour course
• Hazmat-Hazwoper 40 hour course
• Advanced Shipboard Fire Fighting
• U.S.N. Shipboard Fire Fighting, Navsta. Norfolk
• M.S.C. Shipboard Damage Control
• Fast Rescue Boat
• Medical PIC, 24 hour Medical First Aid Provider
• Drug and Alcohol Awareness Training for the Maritime Supervisor
• D.O.T. Drug Test Collector Training Course, Alco Sensor III, IV Operator Course
• American Bureau of Shipping NS5 Software System Course
• Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
• Bridge Resource Management, Human Element Leadership Management (HELM-M)
• Electronic Chart Display Information Systems (ECDIS)
• Advanced Deep Sea Master/Mate Ship Handling Training Course
• Maritime Law for Senior Officers
• MCA Business and Law
• Apprentice Mate Steersman
• 1981 B.S. Marine Transportation, SUNY Maritime College at Fort Schuyler
• 1980 A.A. Rockland Community College
• U.S.C.G. Master of Steam or Motor Vessels of Any Gross Tons, Upon Oceans
• United Kingdom M.C.A. Certificate of Equivalent Competency
• Commander U.S.N.R., Ret.