Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Marketing, Advertising, Breach of contract, Business practices, Unfair competition, Trade libel, Rescission, Media, Unlawful, unfair, or fraudulent business activities practices, Contracts, Sponsorships, False advertising, Licensing, Distribution, Trademark infringement, Intellectual property, Patents, Usage of models, Branding, Advertising agencies, Business and professions code compliance and violations, Trade secrets, Client business practices, Unjust Enrichment, Misappropriation of Likeness, Unfair advertising, Deceptive advertising, Violations of Lanham Act, Unjust enrichment, Trademarks at issue, Comparative advertising, Comparative promotion, Packaging, Value of advertising and media campaign,
Expert Witness No.2318
- Senior Marketing & Advertising Consultant, Problem Solver
- Marketing Advertising Media Expert Witness
- Marketing, Advertising & Business Expert Witness
- Senior Marketing, Advertising & Business Strategies Adjunct Professor, Senior Lecturer, Presenter
- Multi-faceted senior Marketing executive with expertise in creating, applying and delivering Marketing, advertising, media, business development, sales, brand integrity, collateral programs, and expert witnessing. Introduced campaigns that translated strategic marketing plans into tactical sales actions that drove revenue growth, expanded market penetration, partner growth, achieved dominant market share, maximized brand equity and capitalized on market opportunities.
- Recognized strengths in establishing and maintaining executive-level client and strategic partner/ alliance relationships.
- Strong conceptual/analytical skills, ability to identify new marketing opportunities and market segments. Participative leader with excellent skills in cross-functional teambuilding, motivation, quality performance and productivity improvements.
- MBA in Marketing (Dean’s List), University of Southern California
- Active executive board member, treasurer, committee chair, board member and volunteer of the Advertising Club of Los Angeles from 1983 – present, which merged into thinkLA. Plus active executive board officer, board member and chair in AIEF (Advertising Industry Emergency Fund) which evolved into Ad Relief.
Partial list of companies worked for and/or with:
- Grey Advertising-Worldwide/Grey Entertainment & Media
- GE Capital
- University of Southern California (USC)– Marshall (undergraduate and graduate) and Annenberg Schools (undergraduate and graduate)
- Vons Grocery Company
- The Music Center of Los Angeles/ Performing Arts Center of Los Angeles
- Bank of America
- Verizon/Bell Atlantic
- Disney (Walt Disney Productions)
- Alliance Environmental Group
- Ritter Pharmaceuticals/Lactagen
- Barr Engineering
- Dependable Supply Chain Services
- DHX-Dependable Hawaiian Express
- DGX-Dependable Global Express
- DAX-Dependable AirCargo Express
- Southern California Edison
- Sheraton Hotels and Resorts
- SPNB (Security Pacific National Bank)
- Beverly Hills Savings
- ICL Systems
- Rubicon VLS
- ORC International
- Beverly Hills Courier/San Marino Tribune/Herald Tribune
- Applause Toys
- Dilbeck Realty
- California State University, Northridge (CSUN), David Nazarian College of Business and Economics)– undergrad and graduate
- Pepperdine University (five campuses- graduate Business School-MBA program)
Expert Witness cases have involved:
- Breach of contract
- Business practices
- Unfair competition
- Trade libel
- Unlawful, unfair, or fraudulent business activities/practices
- False advertising
- Trademark infringement
- Intellectual property
- Usage of models
- Advertising agencies
- Business code and professions code compliance and violations
- Trade secrets
- Client business practices
- Unjust enrichment
- Misappropriation of likeness
- Unfair advertising
- Deceptive advertising
- Violations of Lanham Act
- Trademarks at issue
- Comparative advertising
- Comparative promotion
- Value of advertising and media campaign
- I have served as an expert witness and have been designated as an expert witness involving Marketing, Advertising, Trademark, Patent, Promotion, Breach of Contract, Unfair Competition, Custom and Practice, Lanham and Robinson-Patman Act Violations, and others.
- Certified Forensic Litigation Consultant (CFLC)™ Forensic Professional (FEWA), July 2015
- Litigation support, approximately 53% plaintiff and 47% defendant cases. Also provided pre-litigation analysis on pending litigations, both sides.
- I have served as a consultant and/or expert witness for: California Department of Justice; State of Washington, Office of Attorney General; State of California, State Attorney General; Alameda County District Attorney; Monterey County District Attorney; Santa Cruz County District Attorney; Office of the San Diego City Attorney; Office of Los Angeles City Attorney; Alameda Corridor-East Construction Authority on behalf of the San Gabriel Valley Council of Governments; California Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.
- I have served as an expert witness in over eighty matters throughout the US, including California, Arizona, New York, Nevada, Texas, Florida, Washington, North Carolina, South Carolina, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Kansas, and Utah, as well as before the American Arbitration Association and JAMS (Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services).
- I have been deposed, testified in court and arbitration: 43 times.
- Additionally I have served in United States District Courts in the states of California, Florida, Minnesota, North Carolina, Texas, Utah, Pennsylvania, Kansas and Nevada.
- Cases also included contracts between partners, co-founders, directors, board of directors, sales people, sales forces, retail and suppliers of products to retail, management consultants, advertising agencies, clients, advertisers, suppliers, distributors, production firms and media.
- Created and own the copyright for the Marketing concept, the Nine P’s/9 P’s ©2007 of Marketing
Public Service Organizations/Not for Profit or Non-Profits served:
- Advertising Club of Los Angeles
- Ad Relief, formerly known as Advertising Industry Emergency Fund (AIEF)
- Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD)
- California Special Olympics Partnership for a Drug Free America
- Town Hall
- L.A. Downtown Marketing Group
- LA Convention and Visitors Bureau (LACVB)
- Westwood Hills Property Owners (Homeowners) Association
- PH&L (Park Homes and Lofts) Homeowners Association
- The Music Center of Los Angeles/Performing Arts Center of LA, plus its Education Division.
PRIVATE MARKETING CONSULTANTS, LLC; MARKETING, ADVERTISING and MEDIA
EXPERT WITNESS SERVICES 2001 – Present & 1994 – 1997
Los Angeles, CA
Independent Marketing Consultant & Expert Witness
Provide expertise in marketing campaign strategy, advertising, new business development, rollouts, collateral programs, expert witnessing, market penetration, Internet and web marketing, website development, and effectively identifying marketing opportunities for local, national and international business organizations.
Bring marketing, advertising and media consultants together to solve marketing problems and create opportunities.
Clients include and have included: GE Capital-ResCom (subsidiary of GE); University of Southern California (USC) – Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism; Alliance Environmental Group; Barr Engineering, Inc.; Getty Museum; DHX-Dependable Hawaiian Express; DAX-Dependable AirCargo Express; DGX-Dependable Global Express; Rubicon VLS; Datastream, Saturday Night Magazine; Shimahara Illustration; Shimahara Graphics; Ritter Pharmaceuticals/Lactagen; and others.
Marketing, Advertiser and Business Strategies Adjunct Professor/Senior Lecturer/ Instructor/Presenter: Concurrently, for 40+ years, have taught and presented in the undergraduate and graduate programs at University of Southern California (Marshall School of Business and Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism); California State University Northridge (CSUN); Loyola Marymount University; Southwestern School of Law; Pepperdine University; UCLA; Northrup University; Loyola Marymount, Loyola School of Law and others.
DIRECTV – El Segundo, CA 1997 – 2001
Entertainment / Communications/Sports Company
MARKETING DIRECTOR, Special Markets and Strategic Partnerships
Created, orchestrated marketing programs, strengthened product positioning, improved marketing, established corporate partner/alliances, including the Telcos, planned strategies and promotional tactics. Built marketing team for special markets; hired, trained, mentored, and motivated team.
Competitively positioned company in several market segments by increasing customer base by 40% through marketing partnerships with the Telcos, Verizon/Bell Atlantic, Quest/US West, GTE, SBC/PacBell, and others.
Instrumental in achieving a 43% increase in sales and more than 200 third-party programs by securing and managing a major sales program targeted to residential, multi-family dwellings, facilities, hospitality, and private offices.
Benchmarked highly effective 25-piece collateral marketing and advertising program for MSOs and key accounts, including nine-part “right-of-entry” sales kit. Designed and implemented simplification program for new dealers.
Dramatically increased private office acquisitions by 321% and multiple dwelling units by 8.7%.
Teamed with advertising firms to create television, radio, print and online media marketing campaigns.
Created and received with marketing partner, Bell Atlantic Video Service (Telco) “Stellar Year” award recognition/special standout performance /custom-designed promotion, Special Markets (1999)
Executed innovative trade show and co-op programs with 80 different partners and alliances.
Acknowledged as “Partner of the Year” from Private Cable and Wireless Cable Magazine (1999).
The Music Center / The Performing Arts Center of Los Angeles 1988 – 1994
Music Center of Los Angeles – Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Mark Taper Forum, Ahmanson Theatre and Education Division
VICE PRESIDENT OF MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
Award-winning leadership of marketing, promotion, public relations, advertising, fundraising, community access programs, special events, direct mail and collateral materials.
Moved organization from passive reactive model to proactive marketing model by changing corporate vision which resulted in motivating executive team and staff. Named and changed Public Affairs department to Music Center’s Marketing & Communications department.
Important gains achieved, increasing annual fundraising by 7.3% and retail store sales by 450%.
Innovative team creation, support and execution of LA Alive!, Dorothy Chandler Awards, Spotlight, KABC/Music Center Broadcast Celebrating 25th Anniversary, Viva Las Artistas and TGIF Concert Series and fundraising events.
Promotional planning, fundraising planning, collateral, ground breaking press conferences for Walt Disney Hall.
Maximized presence of Education Division’s live arts programs, developing all aspects of program for heightened appeal and attraction to 1.2 million students throughout Southern California.
Included creating, planning, producing special events for 25th Anniversary celebration, including presentation featuring Rose Parade float with First Interstate; Historical Founders Luncheon; KABC all-day radio remote; Blue Ribbon Children’s Holiday Festival; 25 Alive! The Ford Music Center Festival; the special edition Los Angeles Times Magazine “Encore” on 9/10/1989; The
25th Anniversary Weekend; The PBS/KCET TV Show and celebration; The Music Center Birthday Party; 25th Anniversary video presentation with Charlton Heston.
Won eight PRSA (Public Relations Society of America) and Publicity Club Awards including “Best Southern California Program,” 1991 and 1992.
Grey Advertising-Worldwide/Grey Entertainment & Media, Los Angeles, CA 1975 – 1980
Internationally Recognized Advertising Agency 1981 – 1983, 1987 – 1988
VICE PRESIDENT-MANAGEMENT SUPERVISOR
VICE PRESIDENT, ACCOUNT SUPERVISOR, SENIOR ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE, A. E.
Aggressive leadership with broad-based marketing responsibilities for national, regional and local entertainment, retail, and public service accounts. Fast track promotions of increasing responsibility to VP-Management Supervisor. Hand-picked to plan and execute multimedia marketing programs.
Increased four-year market share from 11.9% to 17.3% by creating and designing marketing and store opening campaigns for Vons Grocery Co. in California and Nevada. Spearheaded 73 televisions spots plus expansion into new, out-of-state markets. Created a hundred radio promotions, multiple markets.
Maximized exposure of Bank of America, Warner Bros., Showtime Cable Network and RKO Video/Pictures by designing national and regional advertising and promotions programs/campaigns.
Earned reputation for top-notch design of marketing and media promotions for ABC Television Network.
Implemented creative marketing programs with vision and strategy for expansion of existing and new services for Southern California Edison.
Achieved record-breaking fundraising dollars and involvement of highly public figures by developing high-quality public service advertising and event marketing for the California Special Olympics.
Walt Disney Productions/Disney – Burbank, CA 1980 – 1981
MARKETING MANAGER – MOTION PICTURES
Aggressive marketing leadership with broad-based marketing, advertising and media responsibilities for national, regional and local assignments.
Developed marketing and advertising planning, worked on national releases for “Mary Poppins,” “The Fox and the Hound,” “The Devil and Max Devlin” and others. EPCOT planning.
Abert, Newhoff and Burr – Los Angeles, CA 1983 – 1987
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT
National, regional and local multimedia accounts at nationally recognized advertising agency.
Designed and created marketing and advertising program for 14 Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, surpassing all existing sales figures on hotel occupancy and won the 1985 “Agency of the Year” award from ITT Sheraton.
Designed and created advertising programs for Beverly Hills Savings, National Medical Enterprises (19 hospitals and an HMO), RKO Video/Pictures.
Created and developed award winning “There’s Nothing Cool About Fireworks” anti-fireworks program for the Los Angeles Fire Department, which contribute to saving approximately $30 million in property damage. Won Belding, Clio, California League of Cities, and other awards. Continued participation with the Fire Department program for 14 years, through 1998.
Security Pacific Bank – Los Angeles, CA 1971 – 1975
Responsible for creating, implementing and executing regional and community marketing, plus promotional, new business development programs, including “Unique Package of Services,” “How to Balance Your Checkbook,” “Oldest Personal Check Contest,” “Santa Ynez Bicycle Safety Rodeos” in Camarillo and Solvang, auto and boat promotions, plus other bank services. Won bank’s regional marketing campaign, 1974.
PROFESSIONAL TEACHING EXPERIENCE:
SENIOR LECTURER, INSTRUCTOR, SPEAKER, PRESENTER, LECTURER, 1975 – Present
ADJUNCT FACULTY PROFESSOR
For past 40 years, taught and presented on many subjects including Marketing Management; Business Strategies Development, Execution and Implementation; Global Strategies; Business Strategies for Entertainment and Communication Companies; Advertising; Promotion; Integrated Marketing (IMC) and others in the graduate and undergraduate programs at the following schools and/or departments:
University of Southern California (includes Marshall School of Business (undergraduate and graduate), Marshall » Lloyd Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism)
- CSUN, California State University, Northridge (David Nazarian College of Business and Economics, undergraduate and graduate)
- Pepperdine University’s MBA program (final, capstone classes in the MBA program; Seaver Center for Communication and Business, including
- Advertising, COMM 590 and Senior Seminar in Communication
- USC Gould Law School
- Loyola Law School
- UCLA Law School
- Southwestern School of Law
- West Los Angeles College
- Loyola Marymount University
- Advertising Center
- Northrup University
- Cerritos College
- Frequent guest lecturer in Marketing, Branding, Consumer Behavior, Advertising, Business Strategies and Global Marketing & Media:
- Pepperdine University, Seaver Center for Communication and Business, including Advertising, Com 590: Senior Seminar in Communication
- USC Marshall » Lloyd Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies program, and Marshall School of Business
- USC Gould School of Law
- UCLA School of Law
- Southwestern School of Law
- Loyola Law School
- UCLA School of Television, Film and Digital Media, “Trends in Television and Emergence of Multiplatform Media” and “Television & New Media:
- Business and Legal Issues”
- California State University, Northridge (CSUN), College of Business and Economics (graduate and under graduate); American Marketing
- Association chapter
- California Lutheran University/CLU
- Orange Coast College
- Advertising Center
- USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts & Sciences, “Principles of Consumer Psychology,” in the Master’s Human Behavior program
- FEWA (Forensic Expert Witness Association)
- Growth Consultants & Leading Grow Wise Forums/STAR Business Consulting, Inc. Top Line Revenue Group
- Master of Business Administration – Marketing, University of Southern California, Los Angeles (Dean’s List) January, 1974
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration – Marketing, University of Southern California, Los Angeles (Dean’s List) May, 1971
ARTICLES PUBLISHED; AUTHORED MARKETING, ADVERTISING, CREATIVE, MEDIA ARTICLES
Available upon request
AWARDS AND ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
Available upon request