Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Marketing Research, Surveys, Experiments, Statistical Analysis, Consumer Behavior, False Misleading Advertising, Trademark Dilution
- Ph.D. in Business Administration, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1991.
- Master of Business Administration, St. Cloud State University, 1986.
- Bachelor of Arts, Marketing, College of St. Thomas, 1982.
- 2018 – Newsmakers Luncheon – recognized for my contributions to media communications
- 2015 Outstanding Professor – Scholarship Award (Baylor University)
- Faculty Appreciation Awardee, Appreciation Gala (“Go Beyond”), The Men of Beta Theta Phi, October 6, 2014.
- Certificate for Exceptional Research (2): 2-24-2014 & 9-25-2014. Associate Dean for Research & Faculty Development, Hankamer School of Business.
- Favorite Professor, Mortar Board, Spring 2013
- Book Honoree (Shiny Objects), Baylor Book Society, 2012
- 2008 & 2004 Research Leave recipient for fall semester.
- 2003 University-level Recipient of the Outstanding Faculty Award for Scholarship for the schools of Business, Law, or Engineering and Computer Science.
- 2003 Best Paper in Track (consumer behavior) at the Association of Marketing Theory and Practice conference, March 2003.
- 2002 James Comer Award for Best Contribution to Selling and Sales Management Theory/Methodology – The Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management.
- 2001 Highly Commended Award (Literati Club) for article that appeared in the Journal of Consumer Marketing, 17 (3), 2000.
- 2000 Best Paper Award – The Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Force Management.
- University-wide “Most Valuable Professor” (MVP) award for 1996-1997 school year – awarded by Kappa Sigma fraternity.
- Hankamer School of Business Summer Sabbatical Research Award, Summer 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997. Competitive college-wide research award. Recipient is released from summer teaching to conduct research.
- Hankamer School of Business nominee for the 1996 University Research Award.
- Recipient of approximately $50,000 in URC grants from Baylor.
- Graduate School of Baylor University, Young Investigator’s Award, 1995-96.
- Alpha Kappa Psi “Professor of the Month” award for February 1996.
- Hankamer School of Business Young Researcher Award, 1995.
- Baylor American Marketing Association, Outstanding Marketing Professor for Fall 1995 semester.
- Vice-President of the Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society, Baylor University Chapter, 1994-1996.
- Excellence in Teaching Award by a Graduate Student from the University of Nebraska, 1990-1991.
- Vice-President, Graduate Student Marketing Organization, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1989-1990.
- Beta Gamma Sigma, 1986 (St. Cloud State University).
Dates Position and Institution
1991 to Present Professor of Marketing & Ben H. Williams Professor of Marketing, Baylor University
2015 to 2019 Director, Center for Nonprofit Leadership and Service.
1987 to 1991 Graduate teaching assistant, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
1987 (Jan.- July) Marketing Instructor, St. Cloud State University.
I enjoy teaching marketing research, advertising/promotions, consumer behavior, and non-profit marketing.
Human-technology interaction, smartphone addiction, social media use, self-control, compulsive buying, materialism, credit card use, happiness, family structure, socially responsible consumer behavior, and the implications of over-consumption on individuals and society.
|1991-2021||Principal, Expert Consulting Firm – Information and Marketing Strategy Specialists. Firm is a full-service research agency that specializes in information retrieval, analysis, and strategy formulation. The firm has been involved with brand name and brand mark design, surveys (phone, mail, e-mail, etc.), development of marketing plans, conducting focus groups, sales and market forecasting, and as an expert witness.|
|1984-1985||Retail Management, PM Shoes, TX.|
|1984||Stock Broker, Mpls., MN.|
|1983-1984||Sales Representative, Megabit Communications, St. Paul, MN.|
|1983||Management Trainee, Norwest Financial, Golden Valley, MN.|
SELECT COMMUNITY AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICE
- Past Chair, Outstanding Faculty Committee (University level).
- Member of the HSB (Hankamer School of Business) Sabbatical committee.
- Member of the Academic Reputation Committee (College level).
- Past President of the Board of Trustees of Waco Baptist Academy, Waco, TX.
- Review manuscripts for numerous conferences and Marketing publications.
- Ad-Hoc reviewer for the Journal of Happiness Studies, Journal of Consumer Behavior, Journal of Consumer Research, etc.
- Discussant and session leader for numerous conference tracks.
- Presented papers at regional, national, and international conferences.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF). Helped raise over $1,000,000.00.
- Participate in numerous Baylor-sponsored events, including: Faculty mentoring program, Faculty Research Day, Santa’s Workshop, Storybook Christmas, and others.
- Member of Calvary Baptist Church (1991 – present). Past member of the Coordinating Council (church governing body), Sunday school co-director for Median Adults, do readings, offertory prayers, substitute
- Sunday school teacher, usher when needed, and have been a past Sunday School Outreach Leader, member of the Personnel committee, and participate in numerous programs that benefit neighborhood children and their families. I also lead a Financial Peace Class each fall.
PUBLICATIONS – Books
Available on Full CV
PUBLICATIONS – Refereed Journal Articles
Available on Full CV
Available on Full CV