Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Engineer, Mechanical, Mechanical Engineer, Thermal, Mechanical Forensic Engineering, Thermal Engineering Combustion Systems, Power Plant, Energy Center, Project Design, Project Management, In Plant Utility Generation, In Plant Utility Distribution, In Plant Utility Documentation, Energy Conservation, Energy Recovery, Energy, Industrial Process Improvement, Cogeneration, Combustion Systems Safety Audits, Combustion Systems Safety Remediation, Boilers, Chillers, Coal, Combustion, Compressed Air, Condensate Piping, Cooling Towers, Design, Flow Metering, Fuels, Gas, Hot Water, Chilled Water, Natural Gas, Oil, Piping, Power Generation, Process Piping, Pumps, Heat, Moving Fluids, Cogeneration Utilizing Diesel Engines, Cogeneration Utilizing Steam Turbines, Cogeneration Utilizing Gas Turbines, Incinerators, Dryers, Ovens, Furnaces, Fans, Utilities, Turbines, Diesel Engines, Steam Piping, Power Piping, Generation, Generators, Boiler Controls, Boiler Efficiency, Boiler Optimization,
Expert No. 212
Expert No. 212 delivers the highest quality mechanical engineering services in the following major areas:
- Power plant / energy center engineering
- Energy conservation and recovery
- Project design and management
- Industrial process improvement
- In-plant utility generation, distribution,documentation
- Combustion systems safety audits and remediation
In order to:
- Identify and meet the needs of each client in all areas of our and our expertise.
- Provide services which will be a profitable investment for each client.
- Build and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with each client.
By providing these specific services:
- Project engineering and design (including all appropriate disciplines), construction coordination and management (as requested), and project start up and implementation (as requested).
- Problem identification, analysis, and resolution; particularly of complex, intractable ones.
- Failure analysis and, if required, expert testimony.
- Feasibility studies, economic analyses, and independent review of studies prepared by others.
- Investigation of in-plant utility systems and documentation of current status / layout.
- Combustion system safety audits and remediation, as required.
- Training and education.
- Engineering design and design review.
In these areas of expertise:
- All equipment and processes related to the use of heat and moving fluids and gases
- Cogeneration utilizing diesel engines, steam turbines, and gas turbines / HRSGâ€™s
- Flow metering
- Fuels and combustion system analysis and improvement
- In-plant utility generation and distribution
Air / gases
Water of any temperature
Steam / Condensate
Fuels of all types
- Process and power piping and all related equipment
JUN 1988 – PRESENT PRIVATE ENGINEERING FIRM
Principal of this specialty engineering firm whose fortÃ© is identifying and solving complex, intractable problems; industrial power plant engineering; utility generation and distribution; cogeneration; energy conservation and recovery; industrial process improvement; project design and management; forensic engineering and expert witness in the above specialties. Boiler, air conditioning, and pump instructor. Worked as a relief utility operator at a local R&D facility whose equipment includes two 750 HP, 250
PSIG boilers, an ammonia and a carbon dioxide refrigeration system.
â— Anheuser-Busch â— NIBCO
â— ARCCA, Inc. â— The Ohio State University
â— ATT â— Owens – Corning Fiberglass
â— Cargill, Inc. â— PPG Industries
â— Ford Motor Company â— Ross Laboratories
â— General Motors â— Spirax Sarco
â— Georgia Pacific â— State of Ohio
â— Honda America Mfg. â— Thomson Consumer Electronics (RCA)
â— Johnson Controls â— Volcanic Heater
â— Mead Paper â— Numerous law firms internationally
â— NestlÃ© â— Numerous smaller companies
Please see below for representative projects.
OCT 1983 – JUN 1988 THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY
Senior Mechanical Engineer:
- Successfully managed a $7,000,000 steam line expansion project which encompassed 30,000 feet of superheated steam and condensate lines, several major road crossings, a river bridge crossing, and 15 building tie-ins / system upgrades, all on a crowded urban campus. Project management entailed:
- Oversight of consulting engineers.
- Review and approval of all plans, specifications, and change orders.
- Coordination and liaison with all affected University departments.
- Installation coordination and oversight.
- Resolving conflicts between this and other ongoing projects.
- Minimization of disruption to all University operations.
- Spearheaded a $2,300,000 cogeneration project in McCracken Power Plant. Authored the feasibility study which withstood a peer review by outside consultants; overcame significant technical and political hurdles; supervised design, specification, procurement, and installation of the 3125 KW non- condensing turbine generator, and all associated piping and auxiliary equipment.
- Assisted in the completion and startup of a 125,000 pound per hour coal fired boiler and its associated flue gas scrubber system.
- Assisted in the preliminary needs assessment and scope of work development for a medical waste incinerator.
- Earned the Mechanical Engineering Advanced Professional Degree.
NOV 1981 – JUN 1983 CUMMINS ENGINE COMPANY
Facilities project manager for maintenance and engineering at five large buildings. Provided engineering services for an additional twenty-five buildings, totaling over 1,000,000 square feet.
- Converted three boilers to dual fuel capability to minimize fuel costs.
- Analyzed major electric accounts. Through a transformer purchase, brought a major facility into a lower rate structure, saving thousands of dollars annually.
JUN 1979 – OCT 1981 ALUMINUM CO. OF AMERICA
Mechanical engineer in charge of energy conservation for a large aluminum extrusion plant. Provided engineering services for the boiler house and billet annealing furnaces.
- Initiated closing the doors of the homogenizing furnaces between loads to conserve energy and reduce furnace turnaround time. Zero cost, very large annual savings.
- Discovered and engineered a heat recovery project for an aluminum chip dryer.
- Designed and built a new boiler ash handling facility. Performed major equipment enhancements.
- Analyzed the condensate return system in search of a solution to a vexing problem only to find that the difficulty was caused by a faulty control valve diaphragm.
JUL 1977 – MAY 1979 PURDUE UNIVERSITY
Project engineering including design and installation of retrofit HVAC systems on campus.
JUL 1976 – JUL 1977 ARMOUR – DIAL, INC.
Project engineer, then maintenance supervisor at a large soap manufacturing plant.
LICENSES (All Licenses are Current)
- PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER: Ohio
- STATIONARY ENGINEER, 3rd CLASS: Ohio
- UNIVERSAL REFRIGERATION TECHNICIAN: USEPA
- STEAM SYSTEM SPECIALIST: USDOE
QUALIFIED AS AN EXPERT IN U.S. AND CANADIAN COURTS
OCT 1968 – AUG 1972 UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS
Parris Island – 1968. Completed Officerâ€™s Candidate School at Quantico in 1969. Volunteered for and actively participated in Viet Nam as an artillery forward observer.
OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY: Mech. Engineering Professional Degree, 1988.
PURDUE UNIVERSITY: BSME, 1976. Member – Pi Tau Sigma.
MEMBER – American Society of Mechanical Engineers
PUBLIC SERVICE WORK
MEMBER – Columbus District Heating Task Force, 1984 – 1986
MEMBER & PAST COMMANDER – American Legion Post #115, Delaware, OH
Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications as well as AutoCAD. Have received extensive training in the use and integration of all these products. Can learn any other package as required.
REPRESENTATIVE ENGINEERING PROJECTS
- Corrected excessive gas consumption in an asphalt drying plant.
- Performed a gas line capacity and cathodic protection study for a glass blowing plant.
- Performed boiler house, steam, and condensate studies at various plants.
- Performed engineering design reviews and assisted with depreciation studies.
- Performed project engineering for an energy center upgrade.
- Performed cogeneration studies for a major university and a major auto manufacturer.
- Wrote standard air compressor specifications for a major food products company.
- Designed a steam reducing station for a large paper drying machine.
- Resolved HVAC problems in a paper mill machine room air conditioning system.
- Performed a cooling tower study for a large brewery.
- Re-engineered the heating system for a bottle washing tank at a large brewery.
- Confirmed the sizing of refrigerant and steam piping.
- Walked down and re-drew the chilled water piping at a large auto assembly facility.
- Walked down and re-drew the ammonia PID’s for a large food R&D facility.
- Performed a compressed air study at a large steel mill.
- Performed a cooling study for a large natural gas pipeline compressor.
- Performed a boiler safety audit at a large food R&D facility.
- Perform Coast Guard / ASME design review and certification for a thermal fluid heater manufacturer.
- Developed a complex, interactive Excel based program to perform calculations.
- Have assisted in boiler value engineering studies for the City of New York.
- Have taught hundreds of boiler, HVAC, and pump classes for American Trainco, Applied Thermal Engineering, Lewellyn, and National Technology Transfer in the US, Canada, and the Caribbean.
- University of Wisconsin – Engineering Extension, Industrial Boiler Controls Course Presenter.
- Taught ME 625, a dual level course in Power Plant Engineering, while at Ohio State University.
REPRESENTATIVE FORENSIC / EXPERT WITNESS PROJECTS
- Steam line failures and explosions.
- Pressure vessel explosions.
- Boiler explosions, both fire side and water side.
- Boiler failures - non explosion.
- Pump and valve failure analysis.
- Coal supply issues.
- Cogeneration system failure.
- Atmosphere oven explosions.
- Carbon monoxide accidents and fatalities.
- Water meter failure.
- HVAC compressor failures.
- Hydro testing explosion.
- Large diesel engine cooling system failure.
- Boiler refractory failures.
- Investigate cooling tower freeze failure.
- Hot water burns / scalds.
Available Upon Request