Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Engineer, Mechanical, Mechanical Engineer, Thermal, Mechanical Forensic Engineering, Thermal Engineering Combustion Systems, Power Plant, Energy Center, Project Design, Project Management, In Plant Utility Generation, In Plant Utility Distribution, In Plant Utility Documentation, Energy Conservation, Energy Recovery, Energy, Industrial Process Improvement, Cogeneration, Combustion Systems Safety Audits, Combustion Systems Safety Remediation, Boilers, Chillers, Coal, Combustion, Compressed Air, Condensate Piping, Cooling Towers, Design, Flow Metering, Fuels, Gas, Hot Water, Chilled Water, Natural Gas, Oil, Piping, Power Generation, Process Piping, Pumps, Heat, Moving Fluids, Cogeneration Utilizing Diesel Engines, Cogeneration Utilizing Steam Turbines, Cogeneration Utilizing Gas Turbines, Incinerators, Dryers, Ovens, Furnaces, Fans, Utilities, Turbines, Diesel Engines, Steam Piping, Power Piping, Generation, Generators, Boiler Controls, Boiler Efficiency, Boiler Optimization,
NOV 2018 – PRESENT
ADENA UTILITIES ENGINEERING, INC.
Partner, Chief Engineer, and CEO of this engineering firm which, for over thirty years, has specialized in the design of powerplant facilities, combined heat and power projects, landfill gas processing, and other energy intensive industrial, institutional, and governmental processes.
JUN 1988 – PRESENT
APPLIED THERMAL ENGINEERING, INC.
Principal of this specialty engineering firm whose forté is: industrial power plant engineering; utility generation and distribution; cogeneration; energy conservation and recovery; forensic engineering and expert witness in the above specialties. Boiler, air conditioning, and pump instructor. Worked as a relief utility operator at a local R&D facility.
Clients (direct or immediate sub) include:
- Honda America Mfg.
- Spirax Sarco
- Anheuser – Busch
- Johnson Controls
- State of Arkansas
- ARCCA, Inc.
- Level 3 Communications
- State of Ohio
- Mead Paper
- Strategic Value Solutions
- Cargill, Inc.
- The Ohio State University
- Ford Motor Company
- US Dept. of Justice, BOP
- General Motors Owens – Corning Fiberglass
- Volcanic Heater
Georgia Pacific PPG Industries
- Numerous law firms internationally
- Graphic Packaging Int’l.
- Ross Laboratories
- Numerous smaller companies
OCT 1983 – JUN 1988
THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY
Senior Mechanical Engineer:
Successfully managed a $7,000,000 steam line expansion project which encompassed 30,000 feet of superheated steam and condensate lines, several major road crossings, a river bridge crossing, and 15 building tie-ins / system upgrades, all on a crowded urban campus. Project management entailed:
Oversight of consulting engineers.
Review and approval of all plans, specifications, and change orders.
Coordination and liaison with all affected University departments.
Installation coordination and oversight.
Resolving conflicts between this and other ongoing projects.
Minimization of disruption to all University operations.
Spearheaded a $2,300,000 cogeneration project in McCracken Power Plant. Authored the feasibility study which withstood a peer review by outside consultants; overcame significant technical and political hurdles; supervised design, specification, procurement, and installation of the 3125 KW non- condensing turbine generator, and all associated piping and auxiliary equipment.
Assisted in the completion and startup of a 125,000 pound per hour coal fired boiler and its associated flue gas scrubber system.
Assisted in the preliminary needs assessment and scope of work development for a medical waste incinerator.
Earned the Mechanical Engineering Advanced Professional Degree.
NOV 1981 – JUN 1983
CUMMINS ENGINE COMPANY
Facilities project manager for maintenance and engineering at five large buildings. Provided engineering services for an additional twenty-five buildings, totaling over 1,000,000 square feet.
Converted three boilers to dual fuel capability to minimize fuel costs.
Analyzed major electric accounts. Through a transformer purchase, brought a major facility into a lower rate structure, saving thousands of dollars annually.
JUN 1979 – OCT 1981
ALUMINUM CO. OF AMERICA
Mechanical engineer in charge of energy conservation for a large aluminum extrusion plant. Provided engineering services for the boiler house and billet annealing furnaces.
Initiated closing the doors of the homogenizing furnaces between loads to conserve energy and reduce furnace turnaround time. Zero cost, very large annual savings.
Discovered and engineered a heat recovery project for an aluminum chip dryer.
Designed and built a new boiler ash handling facility. Performed major equipment enhancements.
Analyzed the condensate return system in search of a solution to a vexing problem only to find that the difficulty was caused by a faulty control valve diaphragm.
JUL 1977 – MAY 1979
Project engineering including design and installation of retrofit HVAC systems on campus.
JUL 1976 – JUL 1977
ARMOUR – DIAL, INC.
Project engineer, then maintenance supervisor at a large soap manufacturing plant.
PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER: OH, TX, IL STATIONARY ENGINEER, 3rd CLASS: Ohio UNIVERSAL REFRIGERATION TECHNICIAN: USEPA STEAM SYSTEM SPECIALIST: USDOE
QUALIFIED AS AN EXPERT IN U.S. AND CANADIAN COURTS
OCT 1968 – AUG 1972
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS
Parris Island – 1968. Completed Officer’s Candidate School at Quantico in 1969. Volunteered for and actively participated in Viet Nam as an artillery forward observer.
OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY: Mech. Engineering Professional Degree, 1988.
PURDUE UNIVERSITY: BSME, 1976. Member – Pi Tau Sigma.
MEMBER – American Society of Mechanical Engineers
PUBLIC SERVICE WORK
MEMBER – Columbus District Heating Task Force, 1984 – 1986 MEMBER & PAST COMMANDER – American Legion Post #115, Delaware, OH
MEMBER – AMVETS, DAV, Marine Corps League, VFW
REPRESENTATIVE ENGINEERING PROJECTS
- Corrected excessive gas consumption in an asphalt drying plant.
- Performed a gas line capacity and cathodic protection study for a glass blowing plant.
- Performed boiler house, steam, and condensate studies at various plants.
- Performed engineering design reviews and assisted with depreciation studies.
- Performed project engineering for an energy center upgrade.
- Performed cogeneration studies for a major university, a major auto manufacturer, and a major nutritional manufacturer.
- Wrote standard air compressor specifications for a major food products company.
- Designed a steam reducing station for a large paper drying machine.
- Resolved HVAC problems in a paper mill machine room air conditioning system.
- Performed a cooling tower study for a large brewery.
- Re-engineered the heating system for a bottle washing tank at a large brewery.
- Walked down and re-drew the chilled water piping at a large auto assembly facility.
- Walked down and re-drew the ammonia PID’s for a large food R&D facility.
- Performed a compressed air study at a large steel mill.
- Performed a cooling study for a large natural gas pipeline compressor.
- Performed a boiler safety audit at a large food R&D facility.
- Perform Coast Guard / ASME design review and certification for thermal fluid heater manufacturers. Developed a complex, interactive Excel based program to perform the calculations.
- Have assisted in value engineering studies for the VA, New York City, and other entities.
Have taught hundreds of boiler, HVAC, and pump classes for American Trainco, Applied Thermal Engineering, Lewellyn, NTT, and Versa-Tech in the US, Canada, and the Caribbean.
University of Wisconsin – Engineering Extension, Industrial Boiler Controls Course Presenter.
Taught ME 625, a dual level course in Power Plant Engineering, while at Ohio State University.
REPRESENTATIVE FORENSIC / EXPERT WITNESS PROJECTS
- Have assisted attorneys in over fifty cases, both plaintiff and defense.
- Have testified in court six (6) times. Have been deposed twenty two (22) times.
- Steam line failures and explosions.
- Pressure vessel explosions.
- Boiler explosions, both fire side and water side.
- Boiler failures – non explosion.
- Pump and valve failure analysis.
- Cogeneration system failure.
- Atmosphere oven explosion.
- Carbon monoxide accidents and fatalities.
- HVAC compressor failures.
- Hydro testing explosion.
- Large diesel engine cooling system failure.
- Boiler refractory failures.
- Investigate cooling tower freeze failure.
Available on full CV