Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Product Design Mechanical Engineer, Engineer, Mechanical Design Product Development, Product Design Mechanical Engineer, products, development, materials, manufacturing, consumer products, medical equipment, power tools, automotive systems, failure analysis, equipment automation, control systems machine guarding, control, operator training, fabrication processes, plastic injection molding, total product development expertise, Marketing, Manufacturing, Quality Product Regulations, design validation, industry consensus standards, customized Machine guarding, Lockout Tagout, AutoCad, Design plastic parts, material failures, failure analysis, biomechanics, heating pad, commercial pilot
Expert Witness No. 205
Summary Of Expertise
Mechanical Engineer / Product Development Manager:
- Twenty-eight years experience in solving technical problems and making design and development trade-off decisions.
- Expertise in selecting materials, in specifying manufacturing methods and in selecting suppliers appropriate for intended use, appropriate quality and costs.
- Expertise in labeling; including â€œwarningsâ€ and â€œcautions.â€
- Expertise in patent claims and alternate design and manufacturing methods.
Experienced with varied products including:
- Tools (power tools, pneumatic nailguns, powder actuated tools, chainsaws, hand tools).
- Sporting equipment (camping equipment, plastic protective gear, camping furniture, bugies).
- Electro-mechanical and Opto-mechanical systems (computers and peripherals, high tech test equipment, -system medical equipment (eg dialysis machines), projector systems).
- Manufacturing equipment (molding machines, automated part sorting and assembly equipment, aluminum crushers, conveyors, machine guarding and â€œlockout/tagoutâ€ procedures).
- Automotive systems and Aircraft systems (braking systems, suspension systems, operator placement, access and controls, automatic bus doors, interlock systems).
- Food and Medical (sterilized medical products, drug packaging, medical and food handling systems).
- Consumer products (furniture, plastics chairs, appliances, novelty items).
- Building materials and construction systems (plastic D-W pipe, aluminum wiring, plastic furnace flues, wind affects on doors , railings and decking, glue systems).
Specific areas of expertise include:
- Failure analysis of physical evidence to establish probable cause: defect-of-design, defect-of-manufacture or defect-of-maintenance.
- Total product development process (Design, Marketing, Manufacturing, Supplier management, Design validation, Quality & Product Regulations).
- Application of industry standards to the design and development process including UL, CSA, IEC, OSHA, ISO, ANSI, ASTM)
- Cause and origin involving multi-discipline investigations including RV fires,
- Defect prevention methodologies in design, hazard analysis and control methodologies in implementation.
- Material selection and fabrication processes especially involving plastic parts and adhesive bonding.
- Strength materials including non-ferrous metals, plastics, wood, composite materials and adhesives.
Education And Credentials
Registered PE (Professional Engineer)
(Board Certified, earned by knowledge test, work experience and references)
Oregon Board of Engineering Examiners Number Available Upon Request
CQM (Certified Quality Manager)
(Board Certified, earned by knowledge test, work experience and references)
Issued by American Society of Quality
Masters: University of Colorado, Denver CO
BS (Engineering - Product Development Emphasis): Oregon State University, Corvallis OR
FAA Commercial Pilot (current)
Emergency Medical Technician: Colorado registration (not currently renewed)
1994-present, A Private Engineering Company in State of Oregon, Product Development Consultant,
Provide product design expertise and manufacturability recommendations to client requirements. Develop client product concepts by providing Project Proposals (with progressive risk reduction by phase)by providing full product development services from Industrial Design to Engineering Prototypes to First Article. Create customized Machine guarding and Lockout/Tagout programs (assessments, design and training). Design plastic parts utilizing ProEngineer and AutoCAD.
Expert Analysis (mechanical systems, plastics), Provide failure analysis for material failures by specifying lab tests and interpreting results Provide cause and origin analysis involving suspected product failures. Evaluate product failures by analyzing suitability of design for intended use and characteristics of manufacturing process and tooling. Provide technical information and bio-mechanics data to develop computer animation of accidents.
1997-2001, In Focus Systems Inc., Wilsonville OR, Product Engineer
Provided cause analysis to address customer returns, manufacturing line yield problems and complex technical problems which were delaying new product release. Advanced Manufacturing Project Manager Lead product development programs from product definition thru validation testing thru manufacturing ramp. Institute “defect prevention programs” with strategic suppliers to substantially reduce early life failures. Manage “difficult” technology intensive suppliers world-wide to achieve quality goals and timely delivery. Lead engineering teams to perform root cause analysis and implement closed-loop corrective actions.
1995-1996, Intel Corporation, Intel Products Group, Hillsboro OR , Supplier Quality Manager Desktop and Server Products
Solved delivered quality issues for key customers worldwide by correlating customer integration tests with factory tests, monitoring factory quality issues, analyzed escapes utilizing world-wide failure analysis centers and implemented CLCA (closedâ€‘loop corrective actions) on escapes.
Maintained delivered quality indicators for upper management review.
1992-1994, Options Consulting, Ft. Collins CO and Beaverton OR
Improved product development programs by optimizing development methodologies for managing implementation trade-offs decision and constraints. Provided facilitation services for gathering conducting customer visits and for managing implementation trade-offs during product development.
1981-1992, Hewlettâ€‘Packard, Networked Systems Group, Program Manager – NPI Support, Graphics Technology Div. & Colorado Computer Manufacturing Op.
Developed programs and processes to improve and shorten the new product development (NPI) process. Researched historical best practices and created white papers on optimizing fast-track product development. Created decision support models based on ROI projections (utilizing PIMS data) to discourage premature product releases (eliminated subjective debate about premature product releases). Developed standardized testing and project milestone criteria for new product development. Developed quality and regulatory plans and provided risk assessments for formal project phases.
Manufacturing Development Engineer, Graphics Technology Div. & Colorado Computer Manufacturing Op.
Solved box and chassis design problems involving high volume injection molded parts and sheet-metal. Developed methodologies which enabled inter-divisional manufacturing transfers. Coordinated tooling intensive programs that insured successful and timely first articles.Performed root-cause analysis on manufacturing problems and implemented corrective actions. Established criteria and qualified external suppliers for â€˜dock-to-stockâ€™ program. Investigated and qualified rigid and semi-rigid foam fabrication methods to be applied to chair pads, palm rests, mouse pads and various other products as part of computer work area furniture product family.
Product Quality and Regulatory Engineer, Desktop Computer Division
Managed product regulatory process to maintain compliance with agency approvals including follow-up. Conducted UL flammability tests as part of qualification process for material and process innovations. Contributing member to technical committees for CBEMA, IEC, ANSI and UL.
Process Engineer, Desktop Computer Division Manufacturing & Plastic Technology Center
Designed and implemented custom electro-pneumatic production machines. Standardized assembly procedures and developed easier to use manufacturing documentation. Solved production human factors issues with assembly methods and sequence. Solved process engineering problems for in-house injection molding center. Supported outsourced large part molding, in-house and outsourced structural foam and in-house two shot molding. Applied SPC and TQC. Managed structural foam production process. Evaluated alternate foaming methodologies. Resolved production worker safety issues involving hazardous equipment, and chemicals including control systems, interlocks, lifting, acoustics and chemical handling.
1978-1981, Becton Dickinson, Drake-Willock Div, Milwaukie OR ,Product Development Manager, Peritoneal Dialysis Products.
Managed a mechanical design team to develop the first microprocessor based major medical device. Collaborated with medical advisors to develop technology improvements. Developed consumer packaging and shipping container packaging for specialized medical products. Implemented GMP for FDA compliance.
1976-1978, Omark Industries, Milwaukie OR, Design Engineer / Project Manager, Power Tools Division.
Designed specialized construction nail guns; analyzed and controlled hazards, perfected safety systems. Designed cutting systems for major OEMs (McCulloch, Skill, Roper, Homelite, Sears, Poulan). Provided bio-mechanical expertise to design improvements in handles, vibration isolation and safety brochures. Analyzed accident and injuries, developed safety collaterals and recommended design innovations. Contributed to Chain Saw Manufacturers Association safety improvement technical committee. Conducted vibration dampening and acoustic control systems utilizing polyurethane materials and acoustic foams.
1975-1976, Warn Industries, Milwaukie OR, Design Engineer, Advanced Automotive Systems Engineering. Designed after-market products and accessories.
1973-1975, Tektronix Inc., Beaverton OR, Design Engineer, Human Factors and Industrial Design
Manufacturability consultant to Industrial Designers to enable styling changes in product design. Applied human factors and bio-mechanics expertise to improve usability of products; controls placement, weight and stability studies, ease of use and handle design.