Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Effectiveness of Consumer Product Warnings, Failure Warn, Warning Labels, Safety, Product Liability, Instructions, Warning Label Effectiveness, Risk Safety Communication,
1991 Ph.D. Communication Studies, University of Kansas.
1988 M.A. Communication Studies, University of Kansas.
1984 B.S. Mass Communication, Kansas State University.
Trinity University, San Antonio, TX.
Professor, Human Communication.
February 2013 to present
Associate Professor, Human Communication.
August 1997 (tenured) to February 2013
Director, Program in Communication Management.
August 1998 to August 2003
Assistant Professor, Human Communication.
August 1990 to August 1997
Research Areas: Safety and Health Risk Communication, Effectiveness of Warnings, Persuasion and Human Behavior.
Teaching Areas: Organizational Communication, Interpersonal Communication, Small Group Dynamics, Persuasion, and Public Speaking.
University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS.
Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant, Communication Studies.
January 1986 to May 1990
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
Master Lease Corporation, Bala Cynwyd, (Philadelphia), PA.
Systems Manager, Marketing Division, June 1984 to June 1985
Legal Consulting, San Antonio, TX.
Consultant and expert witness in litigation involving the adequacy of product, equipment, vehicle and workplace warnings and instructions, May 1992 to present
PUBLICATIONS and CONVENTION PAPERS
Available on full CV
University and Departmental
- University Curriculum Council (Chair)
- University United Way Committee (Chair)
- Faculty Development Committee (Chair)
- Health and Safety Committee
- University Court
- Library Committee
- Teaching Effectiveness Seminars for new Trinity faculty
- Communication Seminars for Trinity Alumni Board
- Interviewing Workshops for Fulbright scholarship applicants
- Classroom presentations for Parents’ Orientation Weekend
- Teambuilding Workshops for the Student Government Association
- Group Facilitation Seminars for Peer Tutors
- Chair of the Applied Division of the Southern States Communication Association
- Paper Reviewer for the Southern States Communication Association
- Local Arrangements Chair for the Southern States Communication Association
- Nominating Committee for the Southern States Communication Association
- Nominating Committee for the Academy of Management
- Paper Reviewer for the Academy of Management
- Paper Reviewer for the Journal of Applied Communication Research
- Paper Reviewer for Management Communication Quarterly
- Paper Reviewer for Patient Education and Counseling
- Paper Reviewer for Journal of Injury Control and Workplace Safety Promotion
- Paper Reviewer for Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology
- Respondent for the Academy of Management
- Respondent for the National Communication Association
- Expert Witness in product liability litigation
- Volunteer for the San Antonio Youth Literacy organization
- Volunteer for the San Antonio YMCA
- Presentations on communication topics to:
- Texas Association of Government Councils
- City of San Antonio employees
- Northside School District’s gifted and talented program
- First-year medical students at UT Health Science Center
- The United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County
- Research Grant, University of Texas Health Science Center, 2011
- Academic Leave, Trinity University, 1997, 2004, 2010, 2016
- Summer Research Stipend, Trinity University, 1992, 1994
- Teaching Excellence Award, University of Kansas, 1989
- Teaching Excellence Award, University of Kansas, 1988
- E.C. Buehler Teaching Fellowship Award, University of Kansas, 1988
- Outstanding Research Project Award, University of Kansas, 1988
- International Communication Association
- National Communication Association
- Southern States Communication Association