Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Psychoanalyst Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Psychologist, Sexual Predators, Violence Potential, Workplace Violence, Etiology of Psychotic Behavior, Competency Stand Trial, Child Abuse Allegations, Workers Compensation, Criminal Responsibility, Development Disability, Substance Abuse, Psychological Test, Forensic, Assessment of Criminal Responsibility, Restoration of Insanity, Assessment of Violence Potential, Evaluation of Potential Violence Between Inmates, Post Traumatic Stress Disorders, Effects of Trauma On Behavior, Evaluation of Developmentally Disabled, Mental Health Care System, Managed Care, Differential Diagnosis, Personality Disorders, Psychotic Thinking, Affective Disorders, Impulse Disorders, Psychoanalysis, Intensive Psychotherapy, Psychodiagnosis, Family Therapy, Anxiety, Depression, Violent, Impulse Disorders, Personality Disorders, Primitive Mental States, Psychotic Thinking, Crisis Management, Rapid Hospital Stabilization, Psychological Testing, Eating Disorders, Impulse Disorders, Substance Abuse, Treatment of Adults, Adolescents, Evaluation of Violence Potential, Workplace Violence, Etiology of Psychotic Behavior, Rehabilitation Potential, Prognosis of Potential Criminal Behavior Substance Abuse, Mental Illness, Insanity Restoration, Criminal Responsibility, Testimony Regarding Child Abuse Allegations,
1985 – Present
Forensic and Private Practice, Irvine, CA
Civil and Criminal Forensic Evaluations and Consultations
Civil: Workers Compensation, QME and Independent Medical Evaluations. Evaluations to include the following: causation of mental injury, apportionment, neuropsychological injury, effects of acute and cumulative (complex) trauma on mental functioning, physical injury causing mental injury, the effects of mental injury on functioning in the psychosocial functioning, disability status, workplace violence, family unification evaluations, dependency assesments.
Criminal: 730 Evaluations, criminal responsibility, mental state at the time of the Offense(MDO), mitigation/ aggravation and risk assessment in death penalty cases, competency to stand trial evaluations, violence risk assessment, sexual re-offense risk assessment, pre-sentencing evaluations, sexual predator evaluation, psychological treatability.
Clinical practice, adults and adolescents: Psychoanalysis, individual and family psychotherapy, psychodiagnostic evaluations.
1997 – Present
Faculty, New Center for Psychoanalysis (formerly, Los Angeles Psychoanalytic Society and
Institute [LAPSI]). Teach courses in contemporary ego psychology, moral development and research design.
2010 – 2017
Principle Investigator, Research program investigating the relationship between a person’s intuitive ability to read another person’s mind and his or her social perceptions (see www.drlettieri.org) and the relationship between empathy and sexual offense history.
1997 – 2018
Faculty, Training and Supervising Psychoanalyst, Newport Psychoanalytic Institute, Tustin, CA.
Teach Freudian theory, conduct training analyses and supervise candidates.
1995 – 2000
Faculty, Pepperdine University
Supervise graduate students in Pepperdine’s Doctorate Program in Clinical Psychology.
Teach courses in psychopathology and psychodiagnosis, group therapy and process.
1996 – 1999
Principal Investigator, NCP Research Program
Investigating changes in self and object representations over the course of psychoanalysis, as well as the effects of treatment on quality of life and health.
1998 – 2002
Consulting Psychologist, Olive Crest Homes and Services for Abused Children.
Psychotherapy, group psychotherapy, psychological testing with sexually abused and sexually abusive adolescents. Provide staff consultation and training.
1997 – 1998
Charter Behavioral Healthcare Systems
Run psychotherapy groups for substance abuse and dual diagnosed day treatment patients.
Psychologist, California Institute for Women, Chino, California
1996 – 1999
Consulting Psychologist, Park Vista at Morningside, Brea, CA.
Psychological evaluation, psychotherapy and family therapy for geriatric patients. Staff and family consultation. Inservice training.
1995 – 1998
Consulting Psychologist, Flagship Healthcare Center, Newport Beach, CA
Staff consultations, diagnostic evaluations, group, individual and family therapy with geriatric patients and family members. In collaboration with Cornerstone Management Corporation, developed the Senior Residential Service Group Psychotherapy Program.
1990 – 1991
Clinical Director, STAT Program, CPC Santa Ana Hospital, Santa Ana Developed and directed the Short-Term Assessment and Treatment Program (STAT) to rapidly assess, intervene, stabilize, and discharge inpatients to a less restrictive care level. Directed daily clinical staffings, treatment groups, and supervised hospital staff in the rapid treatment of adults with substance abuse and psychiatric disorders. Treatment program based on the START Program, which I developed, wrote (1987) and have copyrighted (TXU 330-967).
1988 – 1990
Consulting Psychologist, Southern California Edison, Rosemead, CA
Reviewed treatment update forms completed by providers and made recommendations regarding the appropriateness of treatment, and the authorization of ongoing care. Consulted with treating psychologists and psychiatrists as necessary.
1988 – 1989
Clinical Director, Mental Health Unit, Midwood Community Hospital, Stanton, CA
Supervised clinical and nursing staff in the intensive treatment of adult inpatients. Directed weekly staff meetings. Provided group psychotherapy. Marketing.
1987 – 1991
Consulting Psychologist, Cost Care, Inc., a Utilization Review Company, Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed inpatient treatment records and made recommendations to third-party payors regarding necessity of acute hospitalization, length of stay, and appropriateness of treatment. Consulted with treating clinicians as necessary.
1987 – 1989
Consultant, Western Medical Center – Comp Care’s Psychiatric Unit, Anaheim, CA
Group psychotherapy and staffings for patients with diagnosed psychiatric and dual conditions.
1987 – 1988
Consultant, Doctor’s Hospital, Santa Ana Eating Disorder Unit, Santa Ana, CA
Individual, group and family therapy with eating disordered patients and diagnostic evaluations.
1986 – 1989
Psychotherapy and Diagnostic Testing, Care Unit of Orange, Orange, CA
Psychotherapy, family therapy consultations and staffings with patients diagnosed with substance abuse disorders.
1985 – 1989
Attending Psychologist, Western Medical Center, Anaheim, CA
Individual, group therapy and psychological testing with adolescents, eating disordered patients, substance abusers and severely mentally ill patients.
Psychologist, CIGNA Healthplans of California, Pomona, CA
Assessment and short-term treatment of adults, adolescents, children and families.
1984 – 1988
Consulting Psychologist, People-In-Progress, Anaheim, CA
Consultation with clinical staff and professionals in the management of young adults with developmental disabilities, evaluations and treatment, recommendations as well as providing written reports to the Regional Center of Orange County on the status of developmentally disabled patients.
1984 – 1988
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Chapman University, Orange, CA
Taught courses in psychopathology and research methods.
1979 – 1984
Psychologist, Barbara Dawson Educational Center, La Mirada, CA
Individual and group therapy with emotionally disturbed and/or educationally handicapped- Special Education adolescents and children. Psychological testing. Consulted with teachers and administrators on effective management of learning-disabled youth. Developed an implemented in-service training for staff.
1976 – 1979
Internship/Mental Health Worker, Human Services Agency, Orange County Mental
Health, Anaheim and Fullerton, CA. Performed clinical interviewing, psychological
testing and psychotherapy with inpatient and outpatients.
City College of the City University of New York
City College of the City University of New York
University of Southern California Los Angeles
POST DOCTORAL TRAINING
- Certification in Neuropsychology, Fielding Graduate Universality 2011
- Mental Disability Law Certificate, New York Law School 2002
- Graduate Psychoanalyst, The Los Angeles Psychoanalytic Society and
Institute, Los Angeles, CA. 1991-1997
- One-Year of training, Structural Family Therapy, University of
- California, Irvine, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science 1985-1986
- One –Year training, UCLA Neuropsychology Group 1981- 1982
- Extensive training and consultation through the American Academy of 1991-2020
- Visiting Fellowship in Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, Duke University 2018
- Extensive In-Going Training & Education: Forensic Psychology, American Psychological Association,
- Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers, Orange County
- Psychological Association and other institutions in; civil, criminal, worker’s compensation and employment law; mental disability assessment, sexual offense assessment, re-offense risk evaluations, competency to stand trial and mental state defenses, law and ethics, juvenile evaluations and juvenile transfer to adult court, insanity and MDO, assessment including violence and suicide risk assessment, impulse disorders, domestic violence, 707and 730 evaluations, child custody and visitation, forensic psychological and neuropsychological testing, ethics, death penalty assessment
LICENSES AND CREDENTIALS
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist, California – PSY8265
- Graduate Psychoanalyst, Los Angeles Psychoanalytic Institute and Society
- Qualified Medical Examiner (QME No. 121041), California Dept. of Industrial Relations
- Expert Witness Panel, Orange County Superior Court, Santa Ana, CA
- Expert Witness Panel, Orange County Family Court, 730 Panel
- Expert Witness Panel, San Bernardino Superior Court, San Bernardino, CA
- Evaluator, Mentally Disordered Offender (MDO) Program, CA Board of Prison Terms
- Behavioral Specialist, California Department of Health – P20425
- Psychology Instructor (210813) and Counselor (210812) Credentials, California Community Colleges
- Pupil Personnel Credential, California
AWARDS AND APPOINTMENTS
Recipient of the Robert Stoller Research Foundation Grant
1999 – 2000
Associate Editor, International Journal of Psychoanalysis
Board Member, Orange County Psychological Association: Chair, Public Relations Committee
Board Member, The Psychoanalytic Research Society, Section VI, Division 39, American Psychological Association
- Member, American Psychological Association
- Member, Association for Psychological Science
- Member, National Academy of Neuropsychology
- Member, Society for Clinical Neuropsychology
- Member and Faculty, New Center for Psychoanalysis
- Member, Board of Directors, Orange County Psychological Association, 2002-2004
- Member, Board of Directors, The Research Society, Division 39, American Psychological Association
- Clinical Coordinator for the Senior Residential Service Treatment Program, Cornerstone Management Corporation, Flagship Healthcare Center, Newport Beach, CA – 1996.
- President, Clinical Associate Organization, Los Angeles, Psychoanalytic Society and Institute, 1994 – 1995.
- Clinical Director, STAT Program, CPC Santa Ana Psychiatric Hospital, Santa Ana, CA, 1990-1991.
- Clinical Director, Mental Health Unit, Midwood Community Hospital, Stanton, CA, 1988-1989.
- Co-author of E-Val Plus Organizational Appraisal System, an Internet based assessment and problem-identifying method designed to evaluate multiple dimensions of corporate culture, including: leadership, organizational communication, job performance, safety, harassment, workplace policies and discrimination. Utilized to help make contextually specific training, preventative and rehabilitative recommendations. Copyright, 1999.
- Co-author of E-Val Plus Law Enforcement (LE) System, an Internet based assessment and problem solving system designed to objectively appraise the internal dimensions of a police department’s ecology (e.g., policies and procedures, leadership effectiveness) and to make contextually specific training, preventative and rehabilitative recommendations. Copyright, 1999.