Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Legal Nurse Consultant, LNC, Registered Nurse, Emergency, Trauma, Intensive Care, Correctional, Prison,
EXPERT WITNESS NO. 1688
OBJECTIVE: Improve the healthcare experience for patients
PRIVATE STAFFING SOLUTIONS CO.
PICC / Intravascular Access Nurse; Contracted / Staff RN -PACU, ER, ICU, and MENTAL HEALTH - Care for surgical, emergency, intensive care unit, and psychiatric patients, stabilizing and executing physician orders. 11/09 – present
MEDICAL CENTER GEORGIA
Cardiac Cath Lab RN - Assist physician with cardiac catheterization and interventional procedures such as angioplasties, insertion of pacemakers and implantable cardioverter-defibrillators. Perform emergency procedures including IAB 10/2013 - 11/2014
Contracted RN - PACU & ER - Recover anesthetized patients recovering from surgery to include ICU, kidney transplant, electrophysiology and endoscopy patients. ER - triage and care for emergency patients. 09/01/2011 - 9/2013
PRIVATE HOME HEALTH CO.
Care Transition Coordinator - Marketing / Business Development - Coordinate patientâ€™s care, transitioning from facility to home care setting. Seek and identify potential referral sources collaborating partnerships with physicians, hospitals and Area Agency on Aging, consistently exceeding quotas. Invited speaker at civic and community events educating public regarding home health care advantages and opportunities 11/09 - 10/11
COLISEUM MEDICAL CENTERS
Emergency Room RN – Responsible for care of patients, stabilizing and executing physician orders. Emergency Center nurse/ancillary staff assignments, triaged ambulance patients and made room assignments according to severity of injury / illness. Treat all levels of patients including ICU (Intensive Care Unit) patients.
MACON NORTHSIDE HOSPITAL
Block Room Coordinator - Organize and institute orthopedic block program. Operating Room Circulating Nurse - Circulate in operating room 12/07-3/09
Emergency Room Staff Nurse - Triage/treat Emergency Room patients, Quality Management Coordinator
1992-1997; 4/07 -12/07
MEDICAL CENTER OF CENTRAL GA
Staff Nurse– Emergency Room & Post Anesthesia Care Unit 12/03 - 04/07
Level I Trauma Center – Emergency Room. Treat emergency room patients including critical care and trauma.
PACU – Recover surgical patients including ICU patients.
BEAUFORT NAVAL HOSPITAL
Emergency Room Staff Nurse – PRN – Part Time 07/03 – 11/03
Emergency Room R.N. Triage and treat patients of all age groups, initiating treatments to include IV therapy, drawing blood, administering medications, monitoring and continuous evaluation of patients presenting with chest pain, trauma, abdominal complaints, orthopedic injuries, fever of unknown origin, etc.
ALTERNATIVE CARE PROVIDERS
Staff Nurse – Nursing Agency 2002-2003
Contract R.N. working at Hilton Head Medical Center in the Intensive Care Unit and Emergency Room.
PRIVATE CONSULTING CO.
Chief Executive Officer – Legal Nurse Consulting Firm 1997-Present
Consult to review, evaluate, and analyze the health care rendered. Provide opinions for attorneys and insurance companies regarding the delivery and outcomes of the health care for medical / nursing malpractice, personal injury, product liability, toxic torts, neglect, workers compensation, utilization review, quality and risk management. Provide research regarding applicable standards and guidelines. Prepare deposition questions for physicians, nurses, and other health care providers. Attend depositions and trials to collaborate with attorneys, bringing specialized education and clinical expertise to the medical related issues of the litigation process.
MACON NORTHSIDE HOSPITAL
- Quality Management Coordinator 1997
- Mother/Baby Staff Nurse – Cross Training – L&D 1997
- Hospital Nursing Supervisor (Relief) 1992-1997
- Emergency Dept RN/QI Coordinator 1992-1997
- Quality Management Coordinator – Coordinate hospital QM and Risk Management Departments, Hospital Advisory Board, and all medical staff activities and committees. Develop/review/update Performance Improvement/Risk Management policies. Develop job descriptions, competency tests. Assist hospital Medical Director for JCAHO audit preparations and other hospital surveys. Maintain records of Hospital Advisory Board including Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules, and Regulations. Coordinate and communicate with hospital legal counsel. Emergency Department RN/Quality Improvement Coordinator – Emergency Room Staff Nurse and coordinated quality improvement processes. Initiated studies involving ER processes and CQI. Gathered and compiled study results of CQI data and reported quarterly to the Hospital PI Committee
- Baby Staff Nurse – Cross Training – L&D – Newborn nursery nurse and postpartum
- Relief Hospital Nursing Supervisor – Responsible for hospital operations including patients, personnel, and visitors. Ensured adequate staffing according to patients needs. Activate disaster plans, as needed, and coordinate with Administrator, Chief Nursing Officer, and Supportive Community Services.
PRISON HEALTH SERVICES/MCG, MENS STATE PRISON
Health Services Administrator 1996-1997
Managed and evaluated the medical program activities of 650+ chronically ill inmates according to AMA standards and contractual obligations. Liaison between correctional officials, public agencies, and contracted company. Ensured implementation of all contractual services. Developed, revised, interpreted, and ensured compliance with policies, procedures, budget, aims and philosophy of company. Human resources – managed hires, transfers, lay offs, recalls, recruits, and orients. Supervised and evaluated staff of 2 physicians, 2 physician assistants, 35 nursing staff to include counseling, disciplining, suspending and/or terminating employees who violated policies established by institution or company. Audited medical charts, weekly
logs/accounts payable, and payroll. Established and maintained multi-million dollar annual budget. Created and instituted cost saving strategies for Menâ€™s State Prison and submitted statewide healthcare cost saving procedures.
ARA/CORRECTIONAL MEDICAL SYSTEMS
Registered Nurse – Corrections (Baylor Nurse) 1989-1993
Responsible for providing health care for 650+ chronically ill inmates. Assessment of patients to include determining level of care/treatment needed, providing treatment, i.e., EKG, starting IVs, drawing blood, administering ordered medication/treatments, stabilizing patients, and arranging transport. Only health care provider on premises; (Baylor – worked weekends only).
MEDICAL CENTER OF CENTRAL GEORGIA
Registered Nurse – Neonatal ICU & Emergency Department 1986-1989
Responsible for care of patients, stabilizing and executing physician orders. Emergency Center (Level 2 Trauma Center) – Relief Charge Nurse on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Emergency nursing duties including nurse/ancillary staff assignments, triaged ambulance patients and made room assignments according to severity of injury / illness.
Business Owner – (30 years combined)
- Bibb Medical Transcription Service - Marketing, Business Development of contracted medical transcription
- Central Security Alarms – Marketing and public relations.
- Nurse Consultant – Contract with attorneys and insurance companies to abstract medical records, research, and provide written reports / affidavits / depositions, and collaboration during depositions and trials.
Associate of Science in Nursing (RN) 1986
MACON STATE COLLEGE
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN -BSN) 2000
GEORGIA COLLEGE & STATE UNIVERSITY
Institutional GPA: 3.84
PRESENTATIONS, SKILLS, CERTIFICATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS
- Speaker – 2001 State Bar of Georgia Annual Meeting – A Trial Preparation: Are All Jurors from the Show-Me State?
- November, 2000, Legal Nurse Consultants Seminar - Winning Medical Cases: Strategies for Success – Panel Discussion
- The LNC as a Secret Weapon on your Litigation Team
- Certified Emergency Nurse, (CEN) Certification
- Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiac Care – Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Emergency Nurses Association Member
- Georgia Hospital Association – Member Georgia Association of Healthcare Quality
- American Association of Legal Nurse Consultant (AALNC) Member
- AALNC – Atlanta Chapter Board Member - Past Programs Director
- Bibb County, Georgia, Child Fatality Review Committee Member
- Gamma Beta Phi Honor Society Member
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing Member
- Legal Nurse Consultant Certified, Certification
- Invited speaker at Georgia College & State University, Milledgeville, Georgia and Macon State College to RN-BSN and new RN students re: Legal Aspects of the Healthcare Provider
- Council Member – Area Agency on Aging - Middle Georgia Division