Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Safety OSHA, Engineer, Mechanical, Electrical, Structural Engineering, Safety Engineering, Structural Fire Origin, Safety OSHA Engineer Structural Cause, Marine Fire Origin, Marine Fire Cause, Auto Fire Origin, Auto Fire Cause, Vehicular Accident Reconstruction, FPE, Safety OSHA Engineer Civil, Safety OSHA Engineer Aerospace, Marine, Laboratory, Safety Occupational Health OSHA, Fire Protection, Mechanical Systems, Electrical Systems, Heating Systems, Origin Fires, Origin Of Explosions, Cause Of Fires, Cause Of Explosions, Construction Claims, Accidents, Reconstruction Of Accidents, Human Factors In Accidents, Human Factors In Fires, Product Safety, Life Safety Systems, Registered Professional Engineer Qualified, Certified Fire Investigator, Certified Explosion Investigator,
CONSULTANT 1978 – present
Consultant in forensic engineering: mechanical, fire protection, electrical, safety, building codes and structures, marine/naval engineering and occupational safety and health (OSHA).
Fire protection, piping systems, pipeline systems, gas delivery systems, mechanical and electrical systems, heating systems, electrical fires, electrocution accidents, electric and gas transmission and distribution (T&D), origin and cause of explosions and fires, performance of building/structural components, carbon monoxide generation, residential and commercial construction claims, construction accidents, pipeline accidents, marine fires and accidents, machinery and vehicle claims, reconstruction of accidents, human factors in accidents and fires,fire and burglary alarm systems review and analysis, slip and fall accident analysis, code analysis (Building Codes, NFPA Codes, National Electrical Safety Code, etc.), warnings, product safety and defect, injury investigations, life safety systems. Projects included fire protection system reviews and documentation for several nuclear power generating plants, USN battleship reactivation program, Canadian Patrol Frigate design, El Paso Natural Gas LNG tanker fleet, fire and explosion consultation for public utilities, employee fatality accidents for US Steel and others. Registered Professional Engineer in multiple states. Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator and Certified Fire Investigation Instructor. Qualified expert witness.
U.S. VETERANS ADMINISTRATION 1976-1978 Safety, Occupational Health and Fire Protection Division
Asst. Manager/Fire Protection of the Safety, Occupational Health and Fire Protection Division, VA Central Office, Washington, DC, 1977 -1978
Safety, Occupational Health and Fire Protection Engineer (OSHA Compliance Officer) for the Washington DC Region, 1976 – 1977
Employee safety and OSHA inspections for 176 VA hospitals and numerous outpatient clinics, nursing homes, heating and boiler plants and research facilities. VA representative on the National Academy of Science’s Standing Committee on Fire Protection, and NFPA Committees on Fire Doors and Windows, and Storage of Combustible Supplies in Health Care Occupancies.
Instrumental in bringing VA into compliance with OSHA. Department of Medicine and Surgery Representative and Secretary of Joint Work Group with VA Office of Construction to upgrade 176 existing VA hospitals to current Life Safety Code. Investigations of building construction problems, personnel safety and industrial hygiene claims. Safety, mechanical, electrical, civil/structural and fire protection engineering.
U.S. NAVY 1969-1976
Naval Ship Engineering Center, Washington, DC
Acting Head, Fire Protection Systems and Equipment Section, 1976. Senior Engineer, 1969 – 1975.
Asst. Project Mgr. for Twin Agent System Acquisition. DART Program Manager for Magazine Sprinkler System Improvements.
General Engineer/Naval/Marine Engineer. Design of new ships and systems, upgrading existing ships and systems, and responsible for safe operation, testing and maintenance of existing ships and systems used in naval fleet, including materials problems, fire protection, mechanical, and piping systems including fire mains, pumps, electrical systems, boiler safety, lube oil and fuel systems, catapult systems and water and foam sprinkler systems, magazine sprinkler systems, galley fire protection, flight deck firefighting-washdown systems, NBC washdown systems, hangar bay sprinklers, flight deck jet blast deflectors and deck cooling panels, and others. Worked on design of new nuclear aircraft carriers, submarines, fleet oilers, replenishment ships
,destroyers, cruisers, amphibious helicopter carriers, hydrofoils, marine rapid deployment, Military Sealift Command vessels and others. Consultant to other naval activities for safety, fire protection and damage control; training; clothing and other fabric safety, fumes, fixtures and finishing materials, helo facilities and general ship/personnel safety and damage control. Member of special teams for Aircraft Carrier Fire Fighting systems, R&D, Major Ship Fire Investigations, Board of Inspection and Survey (INSURV), and Twin Agent Training Team. Taught courses at US and Pacific Naval bases on design, use, maintenance and repair of shipboard fire fighting systems. General engineering, including marine, mechanical, safety, electrical, naval engineering, fire and accident investigations and fire protection engineering.
GENERAL SERVICES ADMINISTRATION 1969
Accident & Fire Prevention Branch, Washington, DC
Staff safety and fire prevention engineer for GSA Region 3, the National Capital area. Building code, fire code and safety reviews, building design reviews and Life Safety Code analyses for federally owned and leased properties throughout the area. Safety engineering, mechanical engineering and fire protection engineering, fire protection and water system design and testing. Taught Supervisor’s Safety courses.
UTICA MUTUAL INSURANCE COMPANY 1967 – 1969
Safety Engineering Department
Staff safety and fire protection engineer, responsible for major risk inspections and analysis of hazards, code review and analysis, training of existing safety engineering staff in fire protection principles and inspection requirements, boiler and heating system test and checkouts. Personally inspected all major ($1 million and higher) risks being considered for insurance coverage, tested fire protection and yard main systems.
Performed SMP (Special Multi Peril) and HPR (Highly Protected Risk) inspections. Safety engineering and fire protection engineering, major fire investigations.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- B.S., College of Engineering, Univ. of MD. 1967
- Utica Mutual Insurance Company, Utica, NY 1967 Safety Engineering Training
- IRM Heating Hazards Safeguards School, 1967 Design of heating equipment, functional testing
- U. S. Navy Training Courses:
- Engineer in Training Program, 1970 Military Specification Writing, 1970
- Supply Readiness Impact of Engineering Decisions, 1971 Design Work Study Analysis, 1974
- Statistical Analysis, University of Maryland 1975
- U.S. Veterans Administration 1977
- Safety, Occupational Health and Fire Protection Training
- National Fire Protection Association 1977, 1993 Life Safety Code Workshops
- Federal Safety and Health Council 1977
- Safety Refresher Course Industrial Hygiene Training
- Nevada Advanced Arson Seminar 1981
- Hughes Institute 1985
- Electrical Fires Investigation & Analysis
- Univ. of Delaware, Fire and Arson Investigations 1985
- Univ. of Delaware, Electrical Fire Investigations 1988 Nat’l Assn. of Fire Investigators, Eastern Kentucky University
- National Fire, Arson, and Explosion Investigation Seminar 1989 Fire Investigation Instructor Training Seminar 1992
- National Fire Protection Association
- Introduction to Life Safety Code 1977
- Sprinkler Systems Workshop 1993
- Life Safety Code Seminar 1993
- NFPA/NAFI/EKU 1989-2018
- National Advanced Fire, Arson & Explosion Investigation Science & Technology Programs
- Home Tech Seminars 1997
- How to Perform Home Inspections
- Safety Council of Maryland, Inc. 1998
- Lift Truck Operation Safety
- LJ Low Speed Accident and Reconstruction Seminar 1999
- Safety Council of Maryland, Inc. 2000
- Scaffold Safety Seminar
- Safety Council of Maryland, Inc. 2001
- Preventing Slips, Trips and Falls
- MATCO Pipeline Corrosion Control Training 2011 Skillworks Industrial Safety and Health Refresher (OSHA) Training 2011 UCE-USA 2013
- OSHA Lockout/Tagout Procedures OSHA Fall Protection
- Georgia Pacific 2013
- Contractor Safety Orientation – Building Products
- RedVector 2013
- Building Pathology – Foundations
- HalfMoon Education, Inc. 2013-2018
- Structural Forensic Engineering Retaining Walls
- National Electrical Code
- Deep Foundations, Design, Installation, Problems Highway Design and Drainage
- Erosion and Sediment Control Compliance Training Online
- Asbestos Standard for the Construction Industry 2015 Appalachian Underground Pipeline Corrosion Short Course 2017
Registered Professional Engineer State of Maryland
State of California State of Pennsylvania
Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI) Certified Fire Investigation Instructor (CFII)
Available on full CV
Instructor, “Municipal Fire Administration”, Northern Virginia Community College, Fire Science Curriculum, 1970
Senior Instructor, U.S. Navy Twin Agent Fire Fighting Systems Training Schools and High Capacity Fog Foam System Training Schools, 1975 – 1976
Instructor, GSA Supervisor’s Safety Training Classes, 1969
Instructor and Course Designer, GSA Sprinkler School, Univ. of Md., 1969
Numerous Lectures and Seminars given on Safety, Fire Protection, Fire and Arson Investigations, Marine Fires, and Electrical Fire Investigation
US Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Award with medal, 1975 VA Engineering Service Group Meritorious Service Award, 1977
LETTERS OF COMMENDATION and APPRECIATION
Commander, Naval Ship Systems Command – four letters Commander, Naval Ship Engineering Center – three letters Commander, Naval Surface Forces Atlantic Fleet Commander, Naval Surface Forces
Chief, Naval Material Command
Administrator, Veterans Admin., Meritorious Service TERA Corp., for Comanche Peak Nuclear Plant Review Her Majesty’s Royal Navy, 1976, Letter of Appreciation
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- National Fire Protection Association (Life Member as of 2012) Member, Industrial Fire Protection Section
- Member, Health Care Section Society of Fire Protection Engineers, Full Member ASM International (American Society of Materials) National
- Association of Fire Investigators American Society of Safety Engineers Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Human Factors and
- Ergonomics Society, Full Member International Code Council (incorporating former memberships in Building Officials and Code Administrators, Int’l.
- (BOCA), Southern Building Code Congress International (SBCCI), and International Congress of Building Code Officials (ICBO))
- American Boat & Yacht Council
- American Gas Association, Associate Member American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) National Society of Professional Engineers
- Formerly Member of:
- American Society of Naval Engineers US Naval Institute.
- National Academy of Sciences
- National Fire Protection Association Standards Committees: NFPA 80, Fire Doors and Windows
- NFPA 101, Life Safety Code, Subcommittee on Storage of Combustible Supplies in Health Care Occupancies