Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Massage Therapist, Spa, Hospitality Programs, Wellness, Legal
Expert Witness No.846
I have worked in several positions within the hospitality industry, beginning as a massage therapist in 1987 and moving through many roles, including supervisor, trainer, manager, director, consultant, writer, expert witness and spokesperson. I have published 4 books and hundreds of articles on luxury wellness topics, and I have led numerous workshops and seminars across the U.S. and Canada. This experience has given me insight into the mindset of guest services staffs, allowing me to lead personnel effectively and to communicate their needs, concerns and motivations to ownership and upper management. At each of my varied positions, I have specialized in integrating the experience of staff, management and clients. I believe that an optimal client experience requires a happy, dynamic staff, who have a clear picture of how their contribution is benefiting the larger operation, and in order to achieve that, management must take their needs into account from the development phase forward through design, building, hiring, training and ongoing operation.
I have been chosen by some of the world’s foremost corporations such as S.C. Johnson,
Unilever, and Lands’ End to communicate their wellness-related messages to consumers. As a
media-trained spokesperson with nationwide exposure, I have learned firsthand about
consumers’ needs and desires when it comes to wellness and luxury.
I have been responsible for building numerous programs from the ground up including
financials, P&L statements, revenue monitoring, retail development, staffing, hiring, training and retention. In other cases, working as a consultant, I have taken part in targeted areas of resort development focused on team building and training.
A published writer comfortable working on deadline in a high-tech global environment, I can
produce everything from training manuals to operations guidelines to market studies to fullfledged textbooks with speed and precision.
Summary of qualifications
- experienced developer of world-class resort wellness programs
- media-trained author and spokesperson
- recognized trainer at top resorts
- expert witness for the legal profession
- professional writer, proven collateral development skills, author of 4 books & many articles
I am well traveled and conversant in several languages. It is a pleasure to communicate with
people from diverse countries and backgrounds.
- French & Portuguese (conversational – studied and spent months in France & Brazil)
- Italian (minor in Italian language at FSU, spent months living in Italy)
- Thai (basic conversational)
2003 – present: Principal, Private Company, Miami, FL
Hospitality Professional / Trainer / Manager/ Consultant
- on a contractual basis, design & develop hospitality programs for clients.
- conceive & produce comprehensive training materials & SOPs for resort operations.
- conceive & lead comprehensive on-site trainings for new & existing resort staffs.
- align companies & entrepreneurs with contacts in the resort industry to promote brands.
- (as author/expert) make local & national media appearances & conduct print interviews to enhance the image of spa resorts.
- act as an expert witness to provide testimony at deposition and in court to uphold best practices in the spa resort industry.
- conceive, write & produce newsletters, brochures, treatment menus, employee handbooks, magazine articles, DVDs, etc.
- conceive & produce workshops, seminars and trainings for spa resort owners/operators.
2009 – 2011: Pelican Hill Resort Newport Beach, CA
Wellness Treatment Developer
- design & develop program featuring signature treatments for new high-end resort.
- develop treatment protocols, operational manuals & SOPs for staff.
- interface with product manufacturers to create successful treatment-based retail program.
- on-site hands-on training of staff.
2005 – 2008: Biotone, Inc. San Diego, CA
Training Program Developer
- design treatment & retail program for top-selling U.S. massage & spa product company.
- develop treatment protocols, training materials, educational system, sales standards.
- establish educational standards for teachers and trainers.
- train national team of educators.
- lead workshops hands-on for thousands of spa resort employees nationwide.
2001 – 2003: Pritikin Longevity Center Miami, FL
Program Designer / Director
- design & implement all aspects of new spa for well known residential health/diet center.
- hire, train, and coordinate all staff.
- develop budget, P & L, break even analysis.
- build brand awareness and increase sales.
- co-design & produce (with medical staff) collateral, brochures, web site.
- design & produce employee manual, training materials, SOPs.
- integrate spa and fitness departments with all aspects of established medical facility.
1996 – 2000: LPG USA, Inc. Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, FL
Director of Development & Training
- design training program for new massage technology in U.S. day spa & medical spa market.
- design & develop medical spa programs based on “Endermologie” cellulite reduction.
- train nurses, massage therapists, PAs, PTs and physicians on use of new technology.
1994 – 1996: Doral Resort & Spa Miami, FL
Director of Spa Treatments
- direct program at top spa with 32 treatment rooms and over 50 staff.
1984 – 1994: Topnotch at Stowe, Ciboney Ocho Rios, Doral Spa, Safety Harbor, others
Working Therapist and Trainer.
- rated among the best in the U.S. during years of hands-on experience working as a massage therapist and educating the staffs at top properties in the U.S. and internationally.
1997 University of Miami Miami, FL
Master of Fine Arts Program: James Michener Fellowship for Writers
1987-88 Suncoast School Tampa, FL
Massage Therapy Business Program: Fully licensed education in massage + business practices
1983 Florida State University Tallahassee, FL
B.A., major in English Lit, minor in Italian, with honors
Florida State licensed community association manager (CAM)
Florida State licensed massage therapist (LMT)
Available Upon Request
Available Upon Request
Available Upon Request