Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Sports, Supervision, Management of Recreation Facilities, Parks, Programs, Golf Car Accidents, Roller Skating Rink Accidents, Water Park Injuries, Playground Injuries, Golf Course Design/Safety, Fitness Facility Management, Develop Risk Management Programs for Recreation Facilities, Roller Skating, Roller Skate
Expert Witness No.574
Expert received a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from Dowling College in Oakdale, New York, an Associate of Applied Science degree in Business Administration from Suffolk Community College, New York, and a Master’s degree in Public Administration from C.W. Post, Long Island University.
Expert has over thirty five years of professional and technical experience in planning and administration, five years in urban planning and over thirty-five years in Recreation and Education planning, administration, maintenance, park safety and risk management. Expert was formerly the Director of Studies a division of Planning Associations/P.A. Education and Recreation Consultants, for six years. He was an instructor at St. Joseph’s College for over five years.
Expert served as the Commissioner of the Town of Islip Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs, for twelve years as well as the Deputy Supervisor of the Town of Islip. In addition, he was the Commissioner of Parks, Recreation and Conservation for Suffolk County, NY for over three years.
Expert was appointed by the Pataki Administration as the Deputy Commissioner of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation for the State of New York in 1995 and served until December of 1998. In that capacity, he oversaw the Long Island and New York City Regions. Expert served as Vice President of the Suffolk County Police Athletic League, as well as the Treasurer of The New York State Recreation and Parks Society.
Expert is President of his own firm. This firm conducts a variety of management services for both public and private sector organizations that deliver leisure services to the public. The firm specializes in risk management programs for public and private recreation facilities and areas.
Expert has spent his entire professional career overseeing the operation and maintenance of some of the best Park and Recreation systems in the country. In addition, he has overseen the construction of numerous recreation facilities and areas including regional, neighborhood and statewide parks as well as swimming pools, water slides, playgrounds, athletic fields including: soccer fields, baseball, fields etc. golf courses, indoor Basketball courts, Fitness Facilities, Ice Rinks, roller Skating/Ice Rink, challenge/fitness courses, campgrounds and the Sports, Aquatic and Convention Center at Suffolk County Community College in 2001. He also has planned and organized numerous recreational and instructional programs and activities.
Expert oversaw the completion of the Sports, Aquatic, Convention and Education Center for Suffolk County Community College, New York. In
addition he oversaw the programming and operations of the fitness facility, pool and gym. The Suffolk County Police Academy was also located at this facility.
- Long Island University, C.W. Post Center – Master of Public Administration 1995
- Dowling College, New York, BBA/1974
- Suffolk Community College, New York – AAS/1971
- SEAK 2015 National Expert Witness Conference Certificate
- Revenue Resource Management School
- North Carolina State University Graduate Seminar, 1982/1990
New York Institute of Technology
- Certificate in Labor Management Relations, 1984
Cornell University, New York
- Certificate in Contract Management, 1974
NRPA Playground safety Inspection Program
- Dowling College, Oakdale, New York, Instructor
Creative Communication and Government Studies
- St. Joseph’s College, Brentwood, New York, Instructor
Recreation & Parks Education Program
- Currently Expert is President of own company. From 2000 –Present
- Formally a Consultant for the Sports and Convention Center at Suffolk County Community College. ( Served as Director from 2000 to 2002)
- Former President of Long Island Golf Management Inc. 2000 – December 31, 2013
- Deputy Commissioner, New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
Expert has served as Deputy Commissioner of this Agency from 1995 through December of 1998. In this capacity he was responsible for the Long Island and New York City Regions, and oversaw all of the recreational facilities in those regions. These included; Jones Beach State Park, Planting Fields Arboretum, Riverbank State Park (Ice and Roller Rink) gym and Recreation facilities, NYC, Recreational Swimming Pools, playgrounds, campgrounds and Beaches and twenty three NYS Golf Courses.
- In addition, Expert was primarily responsible for bringing the U.S. Open to the Black Course at Bethpage State Park in 2002.
- Commissioner, Suffolk County Department to Parks, Recreation and Conservation from February 1992 to April 19, 1995
- Expert was responsible for the administration of a departmental budget of over $9 million. Expert managed over 30,000 acres of parkland and recreational facilities with a staff of 375 full-time and part-time employees.
- Commissioner, Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs, Town of Islip, Suffolk County, New York, January 1980 through Spring, 1987 and January 1988 to February 1992.
- Expert was responsible for over 150 Park and Recreation facilities within the Township; including, playgrounds, pools, beaches, golf courses, two ice rinks, gym and athletic fields.
- Deputy Town Supervisor, Town of Islip, 1987
- Expert served as the Deputy Chief Executive Officer of the Town. He was responsible for the administration of a $96 million budget and 1,400 full-time and part-time personnel.
- Executive Assistant to the Supervisor, Town of Islip, 1979
- Executive Assistant to the Commissioner of the Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs, Town of Islip from August 1973 to April 1979
- Director of Studies, Leisure Systems Services, Planning Associates, Education and Recreation Consultants, Inc., New York 1967 to 1973
- Evaluating Cost Benefit Analysis Techniques, Leisure Systems Services, Bohemia, New York
- Application of Carrying Capacity Technique to Recreation Planning, Leisure Systems Services, Bohemia, New York
- Utilization of Economic Marketing Techniques as a Method of Predicting Recreation Facility Requirements, Leisure Systems Services, Bohemia, New York
- Analysis of the “Roles and Responsibilities of Government in Providing Leisure Services”, Dowling College, Oakdale, New York
- Development of a “Conceptual Planning Model for Leisure Services”
- Consultant for Tallgrass Golf Course in Shoreham, New York 1999-2000. Prepared a risk management analysis for this new golf course.
- He managed this Golf Course. (2004-2010)
- Risk Management Consultant for the Brooklyn Sports Center 2003/0.4 including a pool, fitness area and a gym with basketball court
- Prepared “Request for Proposal” for the Village of Port Jefferson, New York.
- Prepared an analysis of the management agreement for Smithtown Landing, NY.
- Consultant to Town of Madison, CT, Prepared RFP for a new recreation facility under a Public/Private partnership 1999 – 2006
- Served as the Land Preservation Adviser for the Town of Southold, NY. 2002
- Served as consultant to Olde Vine Construction Corp. for the development of a new private golf course, clubhouse and Fitness facility.
- City of Melrose, MA, prepared a request for proposal and examined safety issues on this public park facility.
Expert has provided expert testimony on Recreation Facilities and related cases including; playgrounds, golf courses, golf cart accidents, high school gymnasium’s, Driving Ranges, pools, privately owned Water Parks, Camp Grounds, Roller Skating Rinks and Recreation Centers since 1989 for TASA, an organization that offers technical services to attorneys as well as for private clients.
Expert has testified in the courts of Connecticut, Pennsylvania New York, New Jersey, Florida, Maine and South Carolina. He has prepared reports for clients in New York, Rhode Island, Virginia, New Jersey, Connecticut, Maine, Florida, Pennsylvania, Kansas, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Utah and New Mexico etc.
Expert has prepared expert reports and or testified on over fifty cases related to playground accidents primarily that occurred on public school playground facilities and areas.
He also prepares Power Point Presentations with most of our Expert Reports.
The following listing lists only cases where testimony was provided and is not complete. This list does not include written reports.
- Defendant Roller Skating Rink Standards Lester, FL 2014/15
- Plaintiff Campgrounds Standards CT 2014
- Plaintiff Golf Cart Rollover Accident VA 2015
- ASTM Committee Member for Sports Equipment, Playgrounds, Playing Surfaces and facilities.
- ASTM Committee Member for Amusement Rides and Devices
- Expert has presented a number of educational seminars for the following organizations:
- New York Recreation and Park Society
- Long Island Recreation and Park Association
- Metropolitan Golf Association (Risk Management)
COMMUNITY SERVICE: (Past & Present)
- Suffolk County Police Athletic League, Board of Directors (1985 to 2011)
- Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation, Board of Directors
- Town of Islip Council on the Arts, Member
- Holbrook Lions Club
- Southold Kiwanis
- Southold Chamber of Commerce
- North Fork Environmental Council member
- Member, Golf Advisory Committee, The Quarry, Naples, FL
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS: (Past and Present)
- Long Island Recreation, Parks & Leisure Services Association
- International Association of Trampoline Parks 2016
- National Recreation and Parks Association
- Ice Skating Institute ISIA
- Metropolitan Golf Association
- United States Golf Association
- World Water Park Association 2016
- American Park and Recreation Society
- New York State Recreation and Parks Society
- American Society of Public Administration
- Metropolitan Club Managers Association/ MCMA
- Club Managers Association of America CMAA 2016
- ACCT, Association for Challenge Course Technology 2014
- RSA, Roller Skating Association International 2016
- Dowling College Distinguished Service Award 1998
- Suffolk Community College Distinguished Service Award 1997
- Man of the Year, Suffolk County Police Athletic League 1996
- Expert was nominated for the 1998 Metropolitan Golf Association Distinguished Service Award.