Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Surface Advanced Materials Scientist, Absorbance, Absorbent material, Absorbent Technology, Adsorption Technology, Adhesion, Chemistry, Colloid Interface Chemistry, Contact Angle, Contact Angle Measurement, Fabric Surface Property, Fabric Nonwoven, Fabric Surface Property, Fabric Woven, Fiber Modification, Fiber Surface Modification, Hydrophilicity, Hydrophobicity, Material testing, Paper Machine Clothing, Physical Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Polymer Modification Chemistry, Polymer Science, Polymer Surface Chemistry, Release, Repellency, Soil release, Soiling, Surface Chemistry, Surface Modification, Surface Science, Surfactant, Surfactant Chemistry, Synthetic Fiber, Textile, Wetability
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Surface and advanced materials scientist with extensive experience as a senior level executive. Outstanding expertise in research, development, intellectual property, outreach and training. Demonstrated achievements across polymer, advanced materials, personnel care products, and pharmaceutical separations industries. Proven ability to apply information and solutions across different industries. Exceptional record for public presentations of technical information to non-technical audiences. Outstanding ability to reach corporate goals through development and management of project portfolios. Corporate experience ranges from early stage start up to Fortune 100. Other skills include:
- Strategic Planning
- International Partnerships
- Board Presentations
- Expert Witness
- Due Diligence
- Patent & Trademarks
- Patent Enforcement
- Patent Strategy
- Technology Start Ups
- Budgeting & Control
- Research & Development
- Business Plans
Self-Owned Technical Company inc. – San Diego, CA
2003 – Present
A consulting firm, which provides a unique blend of technical, managerial and intellectual property expertise to overcome challenging R&D issues. Have provided solutions, technical direction and legal assistance in the fields of polymer and surface science addressing applications in consumer products, advanced materials, textiles, biomedical devices, material testing, pharmaceutical separations.
Nextec Applications Inc., -Vista CA 1997 – 2003
Advanced materials manufacturer utilizing patented polymer encapsulation technology serving the medical, industrial, military and consumer markets.
Vice President, Chief Technical Officer
Reporting to president and CEO, responsible for all technical aspects of company including: Research and Development, Intellectual Property, Corporate Training, Outreach.
- Spearheaded technology development, validation, and commercialization for early stage start up company resulting in development of process, controls, equipment, quality control tests and product specifications.
- Extended technology across multiple product platforms and line extensions, which took the company from zero to $10 million in revenues.
- Built, planned and managed R&D, corporate training, outreach, laboratory services and intellectual property.
- Led effort to mount 4 challenges against patent infringement resulting in successful completion of all challenges.
- Developed tests and proof of performance demonstrations for validating the technology, including 3 test methods submitted to scientific governing bodies.
- Established processes and procedures including new product development process.
- Performed as technical expert for all technical corporate problems (R&D, manufacturing, quality, trouble shooting).
- Headed outreach effort to grow worldwide technology acceptance through presentations, publications, customer contact, and media interview in U.S., Asia, and Europe.
- Worldwide customer and supplier interactions for technical issues. Establishment and completion of joint research projects. Required extensive travel to Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, China and Europe.
Waters Corporation – Milford, MA 1994 – 1997
Analytical instrumentation company developing instruments and media for chemical separations serving the pharmaceutical, chemical, and research communities
Director of RD&E
Reporting to Vice President and General Manager of the Chemical Products Division. Duties included research, development, engineering, product scale-up and transfer to production, trouble shooting, Strategic business and technology planning.
- Directed of 30 scientists providing research, development and engineering.
- Developed and managed capital and operating budgets and 5-year technology plan.
- Management of human resources including: staffing, career development, training, safety programs, salary planning.
- Development and execution of workforce reduction program.
- Completed successful scale up for most successful product launch in company history.
- Completed transfer to manufacturing of 5 new product line extensions.
- Co-invented sample preparation media, which resulted in 7 US patents and an IR 100 award.
Kimberly-Clark Corporation 1988 – 1994
Personnel care products company specializing in products centered on absorbency and high-speed manufacturing.
Research Manager – Roswell GA 1993 – 1994
Reporting to Vice President of Nonwovens products and technology development. Responsible for development, scale-up, transfer to mill and technical support for all surface modifications.
- Direction of 22 scientists providing research, development, implementation and support for nonwoven finishing including wettable and repellant treatment, printing and bonding.
- Management and technical leadership for the development and commercialization of fiber and web finishing chemistries and processes.
- Coordinate development and commercialization efforts with Engineering, Operations, Sector groups and customers to ensure achieving near and midterm business objectives.
- Administer Human resource development program within and across department (s) and sector(s), to support short and long-term individual growth and business needs.
- Development of business objectives and strategies by working with Business units, R&D Units, Engineering and Operations.
Associate Res. Fellow, Manager, Research Manager – Neenah WI 1988 – 1993
- Directed research effort of 19 scientists (9 PhD) on number one problem of a 2 billion dollar per year business.
- Developed and implemented team vision and goals consonant with business needs.
- Prepared operating and capital budgets and forecasts.
- Drove Absorbent Technology Patent Strategy Steering Committee.
- Organized strategic staffing and recruiting, including all chemistry and physics recruiting.
- Initiated, developed, and/or transferred multiple projects to scale up/commercialization.
- Invented surface modification techniques and chemistries that have the potential to save $5 million per year.
- Designed and conducted basic and applied research on chemistry and physics of surfaces.
- Counseled on technical feasibility and business practicality of programs and projects.
- Conceived and developed creative solutions in fluid transport and surface modifications.
- Awarded 10 patents for surface science.
University of Wisconsin Green Bay – Green Bay WI 1991
- Adjunct Lecturer
- PhD, Chemistry – Boston University, Boston MA
- BA in Chemistry – Boston University, Boston MA
Minor in Biology – Cum Laude
- Army Materials and Mechanics – Visiting Professor (Post Doc)
Polymer Chemistry – Research Center, Watertown MA
U.S. Army Paratrooper (Airborne), Interests include SCUBA diving (advanced open water certified PADI, wreck diving), Martial Arts (Black Belt – Tae Kwon Do), Flying, Skiing (three years National Ski Patrol – Black Mountain NH), Exercise (triathlons and weight lifting)
- Royal Society of Chemistry – Fellow, Chartered Chemist & Chartered Scientist
- American Institute of Chemistry – Fellow
- American Chemical Society (A.C.S.) – Member
Surface Science Section
- American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (AATCC) – Senior Member
Voting member of RA-63 “Water Resistancy, Absorbency and Wetting Agent Evaluation Test Methods Committee” and C2-S1 “International Test Methods committee”
- Association for Consulting Chemists and Chemical Engineers – Member