Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Surgical Nurse Educator, Operating Room Orientation, Staff Training, AORN, New Techniques, Protocols, Equipment, Perioperative
St. Vincent’s East: Perioperative Services
October 2016 – Present
Surgical Nurse Educator
- Oversees and implements orientation for all new employees in the Operating Room.
- Responsible for maintaining yearly competencies for current employees.
- Created and maintains an online learning system that serves to educate and train employees using relevant modules and focused assessments.
- Conducts in-services on relevant topics and new findings in research.
- Provides training for staff focused on AORN recommendations, new techniques, protocols, & equipment.
- Member of the Surgical Decision Team – this team approves new items and devices for use.
- Leader of the Core Values Team – this team creates policies and procedures that are aimed to provide high quality medical care with an emphasis on patient safety.
- Developed an extensive education program for the orientation of employees new to surgery.
- Serves as BLS Instructor for Perioperative areas.
- Serves as main point person for all Perioperative areas for the implementation of a new EMR (Cerner).
- Developed and taught Cerner training program for employees across all Perioperative areas at every facility.
UAB Hospital: Clinical Research Support Program
June 2015 – September 2016
Research Nurse Coordinator
- Coordinates multiple complex clinical trials, both industry sponsored and PI initiated, in accordance with GCP, ICH, SOP, IRB, and both institutional and FDA regulations. Performs all aspects of clinical trials.
- Assists with the design, study optimization, and finalization of clinical research studies.
- Recruiting, consenting, screening, enrolling, and maintaining participants.
- Maintains accuracy in meeting protocol requirements, data collection/reporting and billing activities.
- Monitors studies/trials to confirm protocol and regulation compliance for quality control purposes.
- Coordinates trials simultaneously at UAB Hospital, Children’s Hospital, and the VA Medical Center
- Works independently or in collaboration on trials as desired by Principal Investigator and research team.
- Areas of clinical trial experience include Pulmonary, Neurology/Epilepsy, Oncology, and Immunology.
UAB Hospital Highlands: Perioperative Services
February 2012 – June 2015
Circulating Nurse / Scrub Nurse
- Developed individualized patient care plans for each surgical procedure.
- Communicated with patients and families concerning operative procedures and the recovery process.
- Skillfully coordinated with surgeons and anesthesia providers for effective and efficient patient management and delivery of optimal treatment plans.
- Provided assistance for administration of critical procedures related to the anesthesia process and surgical services.
- Responsible for intraoperative patient safety by using assessment and critical thinking skills while acting as the patient advocate.
- Intraoperative tasks included proper positioning of the patient, disinfection of surgical site, maintaining a sterile environment, passing instruments and sterile supplies to surgeons, and assisting with the dressing of incision site.
- Preceptor to new staff nurses. Cerner Surginet trainer.
University of Alabama Tuscaloosa, AL
Bachelor of Science in Nursing, December 2011
University of Alabama Tuscaloosa, AL
Bachelor of Science in Human Environmental Sciences, May 2009
Major: Human Nutrition and Hospitality Management
- IV Therapy
- Medication Administration
- Specimen Processing
- Physical Assessments
- Olympus/Stryker Endoscopy Equipment
- Logician, Cerner
- LMS Programs
- Physician’s Portal
- Microsoft Office Suite
- IRB And Regulatory Submissions
Licensure and Certifications
- Licensed by the Alabama Board of Nursing
- Basic Life Support Instructor [HCP] certified by AHA
- AORN Member