Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Cell phone, mobile phone, cellphone, smartphone, cellular, mobile, wireless, Bluetooth, Wi Fi, WLAN, 80211, 80216, 80215, GSM, CDMA, WCDMA, 3GPP, 3GPP2, UMTS, 3G, 4G, LTE, networks, technology, standards, phones, devices, systems, standards
Expert is a noted patent analyst, expert witness, technologist, author, product developer, educator, and consultant specializing in mobile, cellular, and wireless technologies, networks, phones, standards, services, and systems.
Expert began his career in telecommunications in 1970 as a communications consultant/network planner, designing complex multi-node, private networks for large commercial and government organizations. Since 1990, all his work has focused on mobile, cellular, and wireless technologies, standards, spectrum, networks, and services. As an expert witness, he has authored numerous expert reports and been deposed numerous times in cases ranging from cellular technologies to theft of trade secrets. As a patent analyst, he has performed claims analysis on hundreds of patents for patent litigation, patent infringement, and patent validity. He has authored numerous analytical reports on cellular carriers, emerging wireless technologies and related markets. And, as an educator, he has taught courses covering mobile, cellular, and fixed wireless technologies, networks, and services.
- Designed a wireless in-building Location Information System (LIS) using interactive IR transceiversfor real time tracking of people and equipment.
- Developed a traffic analysis program (using Erlang & Poisson theorems) to automate the process of network design, call routing, cost reduction, and improved QoS.
- Developed specifications (design, performance, functions, and capabilities) for various in-building single-cell, multi-cell and multi user (SC/MU & MC/MU) wireless business communications systems and associated wireless phones.
- Developed a system for automated traffic routing and queuing using LCR.
- Designed a web-based system to host and produce e-tradeshows: scheduled, live, online interactive, industry focused B2B tradeshows.
- Designed and implemented multi-hop/node regional and national communications networks.
- Designed and developed a system for real time capture of network traffic.
- Developed specifications for advanced, private voice and data business communications systems.
- Developed specifications for Wireless Local Exchange Services (WILES) in PCS, LMDS, Cellular, Satellite, GSM, and WLL Networks.
TECHNOLOGY EXPERTISE: Cellular/Mobile and Wireless Technologies, Standards, Systems, & Networks
. 2G, 3G and 4G Cellular/Mobile:
- 3GPP, GSM, GSM MAP, UMTS including GPRS, EDGE, WCDMA, HSPA, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, and LTE
- 3GPP2, IS-95, CDMA, CDMA2000, & EV-DO
- IEEE 802.16/WiMAX
- IS-41C & WIN
- IS-54 and IS-136
. Other Networks:
- IEEE 802.11/Wi-Fi/WLAN
- IEEE 802.15.1 Bluetooth
- IEEE 802.15.4 Zigbee
. Email, SMS, EMS, MMS, voice mail, text/instant messaging, picture/video messages, ringtones,
ringback tones, and answer tones including functions, billing, systems, technologies and services
. Billing Systems & Practices including billing and invoice accuracy, errors and analysis
. Cell phone usage, timing, phone records and Call Detail Record information accuracy, errors and
. Cell phone triangulation, positioning, and location determination, accuracy, errors and analysis
. Cellular/mobile phones, smartphones and modems: architecture, functions, Operating Systems/OS,
Graphical User Interfaces (GUI), text input, SIM cards, USIM cards, UICC smart card, activation,
registration, authorization, Web browsers, filters and access control
. Digital Rights Management (DRM)
. Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) & Wireless Local Loop
. Location Based Services
. Mobile & Wireless VoIP
. Multiple Access Technologies:
- Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA)
- Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS)
- Frequency Division Multiple Access (FDMA)
- Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS)
- Frequency/Time Division Duplexing (FDD/TDD)
- Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access (OFDMA)
- Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA)
- Time Division Synchronous Code Division Multiple Access (TD-SCDMA or UTRA/UMTS- TDD)
- Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (WCDMA/UMTS/CDMA Direct Spread)
. Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) & Fixed Mobile Convergence (FMC)
. Cellular alarm system functions, signaling, and technologies.
MARKETS & INDUSTRY EXPERTISE – Cellular/Mobile and Wireless Services & Markets
- Location Based Services
- Mobile/Cellular Communications Services (Voice & Data)
- Mobile TV & Mobile Video
- Music, ring tones, ringback tones & answer tones
- SMS, MMS & Text Messaging
- Wireless Internet
- Wi-Fi, WiMAX & Wireless LANs
SPECTRUM & REGULATORY EXPERTISE – Cellular/Mobile and Wireless Spectrum, Rules, & Regulation
- Advanced Wireless Services (AWS)
- Broadband Radio Service (BRS)
- Commercial Mobile Radio Services (CMRS): Parts 1, 22 & 24 Rules
- Personal Communications Services
- Spectrum Leasing
- Secondary Spectrum Markets
- Specialized Mobile Radio (SMR)
- Unlicensed IMS/Part 15
- Unlicensed National Information Infrastructure (U-NII)
- Wireless Communications Service (WCS)
Professional Activities and Services:
Expert 3808â€™s professional activities and services are focused in five areas: Expert Witness/Subject Matter Expert, Patent Analysis, Consulting, Teaching, and Market and Technical studies and publications.
Patent Analysis and Intellectual Property:
As a patent analyst, Expert 3808 assists leading law firms and corporate clients in defending against or asserting claims of patent infringement and patent validity. This work encompasses the technical review and analysis of patent claims, preparation of claims charts, detailed claims analysis, and preparation of validity and infringement opinions.
Expert 3808 has analyzed hundreds of 3G, 4G, CDMA, cellular, GSM, mobile phone, smartphone, UMTS, WCDMA, and related wireless patents covering technologies, networks, spectrum, devices, phones, and services. Specifically, his patent work has encompassed the following standards, systems, and technologies:
- 3GPP GSM/UMTS/LTE
- 3GPP2 IS-95/CDMA2000
- IEEE 802.11/Wi-Fi/WLAN
- IEEE 802.15.1/Bluetooth
- IEEE 802.15.4/Zigbee
- IEEE 802.16/WiMAX
Previous patent investigations and analysis have addressed (representative ):
- Ad hoc wireless communication networks
- Adaptive medium access controls
- Adaptive power controls
- Address resolution
- Adjacency-bound service discovery
- Advertising service offerings
- Cellular to 802.11 voice roaming
- Communications in overlapping wireless heterogeneous or homogeneous cellular networks
- Distributed speech processing system
- Dynamic machine synthesis
- Extensions to distributed MAC protocols
- Frequency look-ahead
- Indoor wireless pico-cellular networks
- Integrated messaging systems
- IP-based and scalable architectures across conversational applications
- Link state history based scheduling
- MAC protocols
- Mobile communication optimization
- Packet data transmission
- Rake receivers
- Service advertisements
- Service discovery
- Service framework
- SIP signaling
- Speech and audio processing
- Speech engine remote control protocol
- Traffic scheduling methods
- Wireless device access and management
Expert Witness/Subject Matter Expert/Litigation Support:
In addition to his consulting, research, publishing, and teaching activities, Expert 3808 serves as an expert witness providing testimony, research, and analysis on a wide spectrum of civil and business matters/litigation involving wireless communications networks, products, and services. He manages all expert witness engagements and the research and production of all expert reports and testimony. He has been deposed six times.
Some of his past expert witness engagements have included : Available Upon Request
Expert 3808â€™s business consulting engagements focus on planning, development, research, and analysis of mobile, cellular, and wireless technologies, systems, markets, companies, products, and services. This includes:
- Product Planning & Development: Product and service design and specification, analysis of customer requirements, product analysis, and competitive advantages and disadvantages.
- Research & Analysis: Forecasting products and service demand, identifying vulnerabilities in aclientâ€™s and competitor’s product, determining market shares, segmenting target markets to optimize marketing strategies, identifying and evaluating issues and trends that affect a client’s products and services, evaluating the potential impact of current and future market trends on a client’s market position, evaluating and identifying the buying behavior, needs and product usage of a specific group of customers, appraising the effect of competitorâ€™s activities on a clientâ€™s market position, and assessing a clientâ€™s strengths, strategies, tactics, market position and market performance.
- Strategic recommendations and plans: Development of strategic recommendations and plans over a broad range of issues relating to a client’s revenue, profitability and market share including business distribution planning and development, and strategic partnerships.
Reports and Publications:
Expert 3808 is the author of various studies and research reports on mobile and wireless communications networks, markets, companies, products, and services:
- Available Upon Request
Teaching and Lecture Activities:
Expert 3808â€™s seminars and lectures cover a wide variety of mobile and wireless technologies, networks, markets, products and services:
- Available Upon Request
. President – A Private Company, 1990 to Present
Professional services firm providing consulting, expert witness, patent analysis, research, and
analytical services focused on mobile, cellular, and wireless technologies, standards, phones,
networks, services and markets. Since its founding in 1990, it has served over 200 of the world’s
leading mobile, cellular, and wireless carriers, developers, manufacturers, and law firms. He founded
the company in 1990 and has since served as its president. As president, he directs all research,
consulting projects, patent analysis, and expert witness engagements.
. President & CEO – INVANCE CORP.,1999 to 2000
Founded and funded InVance Corp., an e-commerce business-to-business startup developing new
live, online interactive marketing services. Designed the web-based system to host and produce
e-tradeshows: scheduled, live, online interactive, industry focused B2B tradeshows. Formulated
business concept, plans, and strategies and designed the system architecture. Recruited the senior
management team and developed relationships with potential customers and investors.
. President and CEO – ALEXANDER LIFESYSTEMS, 1989 to 1990
Designed and developed the worldâ€™s first active badge, on-premises, wireless Location Information
System (LIS) using infrared technology. The system was designed for healthcare facilities and
hazardous/high risk environments. In addition to founding the company and securing initial funding,
he had full management and financial responsibilities, designed the LIS, and formulated the
companyâ€™s business, marketing, product and distribution plans. He also recruited the engineering,
product management, and sales teams.
. VP of Sales & Marketing – EXECUTONE INFORMATION SYSTEMS, 1988 to 1989
Full management and P+L responsibility for sales and marketing of specialized internal communication
systems for hospitals and healthcare facilities. Systems sold worldwide through networks of 197
independent and direct sales and service offices. 1988 revenues: $20,000,000. Directly managed
fifteen people responsible for National Sales, National Accounts, Distributor Relations, Customer
Service, Product Management, Advertising, Promotion, Product Development, and Technical support.
Indirectly managed field sales and sales support staff of 35. Overcame declining sales, re-established
Executone as the market leader, rebuilt customer and distributor confidence and increased sales
25%, gross margin 40% and pre-tax 50% by:
- Instituting market driven pricing
- Rationalizing product line and lowering product costs
- Launching new advertising and promotion programs
- Implementing new discount and incentive programs
- Reorganizing the field sales organization
- Correcting product quality, delivery and performance problems
- Rebuilding and expanding staff
- Improving customer service and support
- Redirecting and initiating new product development
- Reactivating the National Accounts program.
. Vice President of Product Development – VODAVI COMMUNICATIONS, 1987 to 1988
Responsible for the product development and planning of new wireless and wired business
communications systems. Developed specifications (design, performance, functions, and
capabilities) for various in-building single-cell, multi-cell and multi user (SC/MU & MC/MU) business
communications systems and associated wireless phones. Developed specifications for advanced,
private voice and data business communications systems.
. President – APPLIED MARKETING TECHNOLOGIES, INC.,1984 to 1987
The firm specialized in marketing consulting (product development, pricing, distribution, and
promotion) and business consulting (business planning and client audits) for manufacturers and
marketers of communication and information based products and services. He founded the company,
had full management and financial responsibilities, and generated all of the firm’s sales in addition to
performing specific consulting engagements.
Selected client accomplishments:
- For a leading manufacturer of communications products, he developed strategies to optimize the market position for its consumer telephone products and central office management systems. Included an analysis and forecast of the U.S. Central Office market.
- Identified and established a $110 million U.S. market niche for an $11 billion foreign supplier of communications systems.
- Formulated plans that resulted in $17 million in new funding for communications switching system manufacturer.
- Evaluated opportunities for Tandem switching systems in the U.S. telecommunications market.
- Developed guidelines and marketing programs for the marketing of a business communications system in the U.S.
- Developed product plans and marketing strategies for a line of commercial communications terminals.
- Developed marketing and distribution plans for an integrated messaging/communications system.
- Developed product specifications and marketing programs for an integrated switching system.
. Assistant Vice President, Market Development – NORTHERN TELECOM (Nortel Networks),
1983 to 1984
Identified and developed changes to the marketing functions of various Corporate, Group, and
Division organizations that improved pricing, profitability, customer satisfaction, and market
penetration. Identified competitive responses and actions needed to improve Northern Telecom’s
market position. Responsible for identifying new market opportunities.
. Director of Market Management for Integrated Office Systems – NORTHERN TELECOM (Nortel
Networks), 1981 to 1983
Responsible for the design and development of the new Meridian business communications systems –
a $100+ million development program. Additional responsibility for business, product, and market
plans and strategies. The new system increased sales by 20% and restored Northern’s leadership
position in the marketplace.
. Director of Market Research and Product Planning – SIEMENS CORP., 1979 to 1981
Responsible for design and managing the development and introduction of Siemensâ€™ next generation
business communications system. The new system increased overall revenues and restored the
company’s competitive position. Additional responsibilities included key telephone system
development and managing a major study that identified market opportunities for private switching
networks in the U.S.
. Product Manager – COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC., 1975 to 1979
Designed, developed, and introduced new communications products and systems that grew the
company’s systems business from $0 to $2,000,000 in three years. Managed the groups responsible
for product development, project management, R&D, marketing, administration, and support of
communications switching and management systems (PBX, ACD, Networks and SMDR).
. Communications Consultant – COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC., 1974 to 1975
Responsible for the analysis and design of complex multi-node, private networks for large commercial
and government organizations. Developed the first automated and interactive network design and
analysis software program utilizing traffic flow, busy hour and grade of service inputs and measures.
. Product Manager – COMPUTOLL, INC., 1972 to 1974
Transitioned the company from consulting services to systems supplier by establishing the Product
Engineering and Development groups. Responsible for the product design, development, and
manufacturing of the industry’s first Station Message Detail Recorder/Call Detail Recorder
(SMDR/CDR) systems and peripheral Least Cost Routing (LCR) system.
. Communications Consultant – COMPUTOLL, INC., 1970 to 1972
Responsible for the design of complex multi-node, private voice and data networks for large
commercial and government organizations. Analyzed and evaluated client’s PBX/Network usage in
order to reduce costs, improve traffic capacity and operation.
Expert 3808’s bachelor’s degree in Communications from Brooklyn College of the City University of New York in 1970 was followed by marketing programs at Columbia University, the American Management Association, and the American Marketing Association.