Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
_________________________________________________________________________________________ Professional Strengths: Technical Analog/Digital/RF/Video Design and Test Antenna systems and Propagation Studies CAD and PCB Design Communication Systems Computer/Digital Systems Electro Mechanical Design Expert witness Failure Analysis FCC regulatory matters Fiber Optics Lighting and Surge Suppression Machine Shop operations Patent infringement and validity analysis Power Supply Design Quality Assurance Simulation and Modeling Television systems […]
- Analog/Digital/RF/Video Design and Test
- Antenna systems and Propagation Studies
- CAD and PCB Design
- Communication Systems
- Computer/Digital Systems
- Electro Mechanical Design
- Expert witness
- Failure Analysis
- FCC regulatory matters
- Fiber Optics
- Lighting and Surge Suppression
- Machine Shop operations
- Patent infringement and validity analysis
- Power Supply Design
- Quality Assurance
- Simulation and Modeling
- Television systems (CATV, Broadcast, Satellite)
- Audits of Operations
- Cost Controls and productivity analysis
- Data base development
- Forecasting models
- Intellectual Property management
- Inventory Control
- Market Research
- New Product launches
- Operations and Project management
- P&L responsibility
- Product evaluation & planning
- Training, computer hardware/software, electronic systems
- Vendor and Contractor negotiations
Produced over $2,000,000/yr. in net operations savings for subscription TV markets
Improved field operations productivity by 25% for subscription TV markets
Inventor of 10 high technology electronic devices
Expert witness and consultant in over 35 high technology litigation cases
Responsible for four successful market launches of a Subscription TV business resulting in a tenfold increase in subscriber base.
January 1980 to Present
Founded this consulting firm to provide business and technical services to the electronics and telecommunications industry. SC specializes in analog, video, data and television communications systems including; CATV, WIRELESS, MMDS/ITFS, and DBS. Expert witness/consultant in over 52 cases, including: patent litigation, theft of service, personal injury, product liability, civil jury trials, arbitration hearings, etc.
Expert Witness Cases
- Expert witness and consultant in printed circuit board quality litigation case 2-’96 (deposition, 2-27-96)
- Expert witness 4-’99 Testified at arbitration hearing
- Expert witness in breach of contract case, video depo 7-99
- Expert witness in TV transmitter personal injury product liability case 7-‘99
- Expert witness in patent litigation case 7-‘99
- Technical consultant and expert witness in Video Patent litigation case 4-’00 deposition taken 4-3-00
- Expert witness in patent litigation case 10-’00 declaration 3-‘01
- Expert witness in personal injury product liability case 12-’00 expert report and videotaped laboratory demonstration
- Technical consultant and expert witness in 6-’02 Expert Report et al – Expert witness 8-’02 Testified at Markman Hearing
- Expert witness 10–’02
- Expert witness in microwave equipment patent infringement ‘04/’05
- Technical expert for surge suppression equipment development avoiding patent infringement ‘04/’05
- Technical expert in patent infringement case ’05
- Expert witness in microwave equipment patent infringement ’06 Fortin Auto Radio & DEI, automobile security systems patent infringement ‘06
- Expert report and Deposition 9-’06
- Technical consultant and expert witness in 9-’07
- Expert witness in VCR technology patent infringement ’08 (Expert report and Video Taped Deposition 4-07, Testified at jury trial 1-‘08
- Expert witness in filter diplexer patent infringement ’06 -’09 Expert report 5-07, Video Taped Deposition 7-07
- Technical consultant and expert in electric motor horsepower litigation 12-’11/11-‘13
- Technical expert in Satellite Communication patent re-exam case ’12 – 06, ‘13
- Expert in programming communications system 10-’14/3-‘15 (Declaration)
- Expert in personal injury case re TV set design and claim of asbestos inhalation injury 08-‘16/10-‘16
- Expert and Consultant in analysis of cargo transportation damage claims for CATV set top boxes, Expert Report, 7-12-17 to 8-16-17
- MCA – Launched license applications program to acquire OFS/ITFS/MMDS/STL TV channels in 50 markets.
- WXON TV20 – Conducted FCC proof of performance tests on this encrypted UHF TV station.
- Frontier Comm. -over 150 FCC applications and new rule making for cellular 28GHz band.
- Anidea Engineering – Consultant, designing a 915 MHz telemetry system for FCC part 15 ISM rule compliance.
- ABCD…Vision – Developed market research computer programs.
- Cadmus Group – Expert review of EPA energy saving study by use of standby switching power supplies.
- Chartwell – Developed marketing plan for Kansas PAY-TV market.
- Intercept Corp. – Developed product marketing strategy and design.
- Chartwell – Developed market forecast computer models to predict subscriber base potential.
- Chartwell – Managed NYC Subscription TV launch program.
- Chartwell – Developed operations plan to launch a Kansas City MDS market.
- Dranitz Eng. Labs – Launched a computer terminal division.
- Liberty Cable Television – Technical operations audit and systems upgrade.
- NST Detroit – Successfully launched a Subscription TV market.
- ON TV Los Angeles – Improved field operations productivity by 25%.
- ON TV Los Angeles – Executed favorable subcontractor contracts negotiations.
- ON TV Portland – Technical operations consultant for MDS TV.
- ON TV Portland – Operations audit and organizational upgrade.
- Willamette Subscription TV – Crisis management turn around effecting a 25% annual cash flow improvement.
- Satcom International – Technical operations consultant for Orbcomm LEO satellite data messaging system
- Avionic Instruments Inc. – develop product line of static inverter power supplies.
- BT Labs – Developed a line of TV signal processing hardware and systems associated with CATV/STV.
- BT Labs – Invented and patented the BT addressable scrambling system.
- Gemini Industries – Developed and patented a commercial Antenna Rotator.
- HSN Marketing – Developed and patented a digital video stabilizer for processing VCR signals.
- Intercept Corp. – Developed UHF antenna product line.
- Microband Corp. – Microwave transmitter, down converter, antenna and descrambler specs for vender bids.
- Microlab/FXR Corp. – Redesigned cost reduced microwave detection system for electronic surveillance.
- Oak Communications – Conducted Sigma encryption system upgrade.
- Private Network Cable System Co. – Developed/manufactured custom CATV head end block converter.
- Parental Guide Corp. – Developed V-chip parental control system for CATV set top converters.
Oct 2010 – Aug 2011 Reported as full time consultant to the CEO of this CATV industry electronics manufacturing company with responsibility for new product development, QC and production
Designed MoCA hardware, including POE filters and splitters and performed system analysis. Had responsibility for reviewing patents and prior art for possible infringement Wrote provisional
patents for new products Directed incoming inspection on electronic products and mechanical frames from out China factory Provided machine shop services to produce mechanical fixtures and
ITT TECHNICAL INSTITUTE, 2009
Adjunct Instructor for Digital Communications Systems Engineering Courses; Fiber Optics, Digital Modulation and Transmission, Microwave and Satellite Communications, Spread Spectrum, etc.
VIEWSONICS INC., May 1999 to May 2003
Dir. Of Engineering, Reporting to the CEO of this CATV industry electronics manufacturing company with responsibility for the R&D engineering lab, QC and production engineering.
Developed state of the art microwave transmitters and receivers including both addressable and encrypted signals. Wide band amplifiers, signal splitters and directional couplers
(5MHz to 1 GHz) Developed test signal generator equipment using frequency synthesizers and low noise PLL Developed micro controller based Signal Level Meter with graphics display
Developed H.E. signal management system with patent granted on state of the art combiner/splitters
UNION COUNTY COLLEGE, October 1996 to 1999
Adjunct instructor for A+ Microcomputer Certification Training Program; PC trouble-shooting (hardware and software), operating systems, DOS, Win3.x, Win9x, NT), LANs, Data Communications,
uP architecture and assembler, number systems, codes. Also taught MS Office Professional applications
MICROBAND CORPORATION OF AMERICA, July 1983 to November 1990
Sr. Vice President: Reporting to the CEO of this multi-market Microwave common carrier; directed the corporate market research and engineering departments; responsible for the market launch
of the NYC, Detroit and Washington DC.
Directed technical operations in the NYC, Detroit and Washington DC markets. Developed microwave transmitter, down converter, antenna and descrambler bid specifications for industry venders
. Developed and applied sophisticated market research, forecast and technical computer models to guide the business. Designed and constructed 31 channel microwave transmission facilities.
Responsible for 100+ FCC applications to acquire new TV channels for OFS, ITFS, MMDS and STL services. Developed CAE software to design 800 MHz TV distribution systems. Directed cost
accounting procedures. Represented Pay TV of NY as expert in piracy trial.
WILLAMETTE SUBSCRIPTION TV, 1982 to 1983
Technical and operations consultant: Reported to the CEO with complete responsibility as turn around specialist.
CHARTWELL COMMUNICATIONS INC., 1979 to 1982
Vice President and Chief Technical Officer: Reported to the CEO in a highly competitive national, multi-market, PAY-TV broadcast operation. I had complete responsibility for corporate
technical and operational matters regarding Subscription TV, Satellite TV and CATV/MATV. I directed internal technical operating departments and subcontracting companies with combined
personnel count of about 300 people.
Produced over $2,000,000/yr. in net savings. Successfully launched the NST Detroit Subscription TV market and upgraded UHF station, WXON, to FCC specs. Developed marketing plan for Kansas
PAY-TV market. Managed Chartwell’s NYC Subscription TV launch program. Improved field operations productivity by 25%. Developed labor cost computer models that resulted in favorably
negotiated contracts with subcontractors. System consultant for Oak Communications’ anti-piracy countermeasures.
BLONDER TONGUE LABORATORIES, 1970 to 1979
Director of Engineering: Reported to the president of this high tech manufacturer. Complete responsibility for corporate new product planning, administration and technical direction of R&D
laboratory and manufacturing engineering.
Developed a complete line of TV hardware and systems associated with CATV, STV and Satellite communications. Invented the B-T addressable scrambling system.
SQUIRES SANDERS INC., 1965 1970 (Engineering Manager): Responsible for new product development and marketing in the digital data, video and communications fields.
Patented Video Motion Detector system for security applications. State-of-the-art voice response interactive data terminals. Specialized 2-30 MHz communications receiver for the National
Security Agency. Custom HF spectrum analyzer for government applications.
VITRO LABS, 1964 1965 (Project Manager):
Developed a servo system controlled framing rate camera for exploding wire plasma studies. Designed high-speed digital timing circuits for missile countdown systems.
WESTREX CORP., 1962 (Project Engineer):
Designed a servomechanism auto-tuned 2-30 MHz SSB kW linear Amp.
ITT LABS, 1959 1964 (Engineer in the Communications and Air Navigation’s Labs)
Project responsibility for development of a 70 MHz quad diversity pre-detection phase combiner. (GRC66 Tropo sys) 465-L Digital Communications network power distribution system and status
logic display project. Design of Tacan antenna rotation rate monitor.
PAPERS and PUBLICATIONS
Available on full CV
Available on full CV
- IEEE – Life member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, Broadcast Technology and Consumer Electronics Societies
- SBCE – Life member, Society of Broadcast and Communications Engineers
- SCTE – Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers (past member of 5 engineering working groups establishing industry standard test procedures and specifications)
- Chairman, Operations Panel – 1982 STVA Conference
- Chairman, Technical Standards Panel – 1984 MDS Conference
- Moderator, Forensic Engineering Panel – 1994 Alliance of IEEE Consultants’ Networks
- Panelist, Intellectual Property Panel – 1994 Alliance of IEEE Consultants’ Network
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering, Newark College of Engineering, Newark, NJ (1964)
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Newark College of Engineering, Newark, NJ (1960)