Provides Testimony In
Engineer, Civil Engineer, Licensed Civil Engineer, Construction Management, Highway Industry, Construction Claims, Entitlement Analysis, Lawyer
- Forty-three-year experience in Construction Management, including five years with the California Department of Transportation as a Resident Engineer, 15 years Design/Build projects, consultants, private contractor, international contractors, local contractors. Worked on Projects total value over $ 7 Billion. 34 years in heavy transportation, RR, and bridge construction in California
- Excellent knowledge in construction contracts, claims, mediation, and arbitration.
- Well-rounded experience as representative of owners, consultants, and contractors.
USA, Inc. Irvine, CA (Apr. 2017 to Present): Contracts Manager on the $1.5 B I-405 Improvement Design/Build Project. Owner is OCTA. Project involves over 16 miles of Fwy widening and 36 structures and miles of walls. Responsible for correspondence and claims with Owner, managing subcontractors and procurement of over $ 700 M.
Shimmick Construction, Inc., Long Beach, CA (Oct. 2012 to Mar. 2017): Contracts Manager for SFI JV the GC on the Gerald Desmond Bridge Replacement Design/Build project, Port of Long Beach. A $ 780M project, the first cable stay bridge in CA. Responsible for managing over 125 subcontractors and professional consultants with over $ 250M in value, advertising open bids, subcontract payments, and all major purchase orders. In addition, most of the correspondence with the owner, notices, third party agreements, union issues. DRB preparation, presentations, report drafting and editing.
SEMA Construction, Inc., Lake Forest, CA (Sep. 05 to Oct. 12): V.P. Contracts in a medium size construction firm, managing many Caltrans projects simultaneously with up to 100 craftsmen. Responsible for approving contracts and subcontracts for over $100 million. Bid evaluation risk analysis. Prepare and present claims to, review boards, mediation, and arbitration.
Andrade and Associates, Irvine, CA (March 04 to Sep. 05): As part of a team of 7 lawyers’ firm, practiced in construction and real estate litigation. I made Court appearances, draft motions, pleadings, answers, discovery, and all aspects of representing contractors, subcontractors and homeowners. Reviewed construction documents and evaluated claims merit. Filed mediation briefs and successfully defended public work contractors. Drafted contracts and advised contractors, home buyers and sellers.
Harris & Associates, Irvine, CA (1998-2004):
(OCTA) SR-22 Program Management. During the procurement phase, I served as Design/Build Construction Manager, sub-consultant to PTG on this $400 million project which includes 35 bridges and 19KM of Roadway. I worked on estimating the project for budget, pre-qualifications of major highway contractors, and joined in the editing of the Request for Proposal, technical specifications, Quality Control Program, and Contract of this complex project.
Various Projects: As a Project Manager on several City projects including Avenida Vista Hermosa inter-change on the I-5 Freeway with bridge and street improvements. Euclid/Newhope/Ellis Off/On Ramp for the City of Fountain Valley. Used Primavera and Sure Track to monitor schedules and review claims.
Silverado Constructors J.V. (1995-1998):
Orange County, CA, Toll Road Contract Manager. A $720 million Design/Build project. Managed more than 70 subcontractors exceeding $270 million in value; wrote subcontracts, change orders, requests for proposals; pre-qualified, awarded subcontracts; performed claims review and analysis.
As a segment manager on a $180 million design/build, privately funded project, I managed the construction of eight miles of highway and 18 bridges, along with infrastructure, pipe jacking, drainage facilities; 12 million cubic yards of earthwork; regional utility relocation; negotiating subcontracts and claims; coordinated with the design team; and controlled the budget and schedule.
Department of Transportation, Caltrans, CA (1989-1995):
District 7; Different Phases of the Harbor Freeway: Resident Engineer. I have managed projects about $100 million in value along the Harbor Freeway. Represented the State of California in enforcing a rigid Quality Control Program as well as safety, negotiating and writing change orders, and was responsible for a staff of eight engineers. Projects involved more than 15 bridges from two- to 36-spans, demolishing bridges, jacking bridges, retaining walls, rigid and flexible pavements, all types of piles, ramps, pump station, bus stations, and complex staging to handle 250,000 VPD. Reviewed and prepared claim analysis recommended solutions and joined many mediation and arbitration sessions. As an Assistant Structures Engineer, inspected $56 million of heavy highway construction, a 1.6-mile-long bridge reviewed false-work and shoring plans, as well as inspection of five, two-span cast in place post tension box girder bridges.
- Commercial Plaza at the Intercontinental Hotel, Jordan: Contractor, responsible for the design and construction of this facility. Drafting contracts, bidding, purchasing material, and negotiating subcontracts.
- Two Apartment Buildings, Three Public Schools Renovations; Lebanon: Construction Manager, involved in the design and construction of these facilities. Responsibilities included public contract bidding, purchasing material, and negotiating subcontracts.
- Riyadh International Airport, (1980-82) / Dammam Military City (1982-83) Saudi Arabia: Field Engineer with Pegel Arabia, worked on the $3 billion airport project managed by Bechtel. This is one of the largest airports in the Middle East that includes all aspects of civil, structures, steel, and precast construction.
- S., Civil Engineering 1979 American University of Beirut
- Certificate in Construction Management, 1991 UCLA
- S., Civil Engineering “Environmental” 1994 California State University, Long Beach
- Juris Doctor, & Certificate in Intellectual Property, 2003 Whittier Law School.
- Professional Engineer Civil, 1991 CA
- California Bar, Admitted to all State and Federal Courts in CA, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Licensed General Contractor, B – California 1986 (Inactive)
- Real Estate Broker – 1987 California
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American, and California, Bar Association
- Admitted to practice in all CA & Federal courts including the US Supreme Court.
Speak with this Expert for freeRequest This Expert