Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Endocrinology, Type 2 Diabetes, Obesity Medicine, Overweight Condition, Co-Morbid Diseases, Thyroid Disease,
Expert Witness No. 949
Present Academic Rank Assistant Clinical Professor of and Position: Medicine. UCLA Department of Medicine Los Angeles, California
Renesselaer Polytechnic Institute Troy, New York, B.S. (Biology)
Villanova University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, M.S. (Biochemistry)
University of Maryland Baltimore, Maryland M.D.
University of California Los Angeles, California M.P.H.
Internship (Straight Medicine) University of California, Los Angeles, California
Residency I and II (Straight Medicine) University of California, Los Angeles, California
Clinical Subspecialty Training Children’s Hospital Adolescent Division, Boston, Massachusetts
Fellowship:Department of Endocrinology University of California, Los Angeles, California
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholars Program, Department of Medicine, University of California
- Board Certification:American Board of Internal Medicine; September 1978
Medical Licensure: California
- Honors & Awards:Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar at UCLA; 1976-1978
- Previous Professional Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine
Positions and Apts.: at UCLA
Available on full CV
Professional Memberships and Societies
American Society of Bariatric Physicians (ASBP)
North American Association For The Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Councilor (Board of Trustee) 1990-1994
Chairman, NAASO Committee on Ethics
Chairman, NAASO Public Affairs Committee
Society For The Study of Ingestive Behavior
American Association Of Clinical Endocrinologists, Member 1993 – Present.
Member of the American College of Physicians
Fellow of the American College of Endocrinology
The American College of Physician Executives. 1996-Present.
Presentations At International Meetings:
The 6th International Congress on Obesity; Kobe, Japan; Why Women Diet:
Socio-Cultural Determinants of The Dieting Behavior of American Women;
October 21-26, 1990;
Clinical Practice, Interests and Accomplishments:
Clinical Practice of Internal Medicine and Endocrinology with a special interest in the Eating Disorders and Disease of Obesity and it’s Associated Conditions. Interests: a) The range of diseases and associated pathological states associated with the use and misuse of food. b) The relationship between affective disorders(depression and anxiety states) and eating disorders.) The medical treatment and management of eating disorders and obesity.
- Obesity Medicine; Treatments for Weight Loss and Weight Management; Eating Disorders; Nutrition
Research Grants Awarded:
Obesity Study Clinic: A Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholar Grant to design, develop and implement an outpatient obesity clinic to objectively study promising treatment modalities as well as gather demographic data on the obese patient.
Obesity Related Risk Factor Study: A national study protocol designed at the request of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians, to document the changes in obesity related cardiovascular risk factors that occur with weight reduction.
Advisory Boards / Committees:
- Chairman, Committee for Scientifically Valid Obesity Therapy: American Society of Bariatric Physicians, 1978.
- Nutrition Policy Task Force Member, National Conference on Nutrition
- Education in the 1980’s; National Institute of Health; September 1979.
- Board of Trustees, American Society of Bariatric Physicians, 1983-1989.
- Editorial Advisory Board, Shape Magazine, 1986 – Present.
- International Advisory Board, Fifth International Congress On Obesity, 1986, Jerusalem, Israel.
- International Advisory Board Sixth International Congress on Obesity, 1990, Kobe, Japan.
- Partnership for Healthy Weight Management. Federal Trade Commission. 1998-Present.
- Secretary, American Obesity Association. 1999-Present.
Medical / Legal Experience as an Expert Witness:
- Briggs and Morgan; Saint Paul, Minnesota.
- Clark, Scott and Sullivan; Mobile, Alabama.
- Engle and Bride; Ventura, California
- The Doctor’s Company; Napa, California
- Pretzel and Stouffer; Chicago, Illinois.
- Winston and Strawn; Chicago, Illinois.
- Lane, Alton and Horst; Columbus, Ohio
- Garret, Jensen and Sanders; Santa Ana, California.
- Frank Tobin, Ogletree Deakins, San Diego.
- Fagen, Friedman, Fulfrost Inc., Los Angeles California.
Medical Expert Consultant to The Medical Board of California, Division of Medical Quality for:
a) Standards of Bariatric Medicine in the community
b) Guidelines for the use of appetite suppressants in the treatment of obesity
Medical Consultation to Industry:
- Deal-A-Meal: Richard Simmons; Los Angeles, California.
- Capitol Systems Group, Inc.: As an agent for NIH, Rockville, Maryland.
- La Roche Pharmaceutical Company: Xenical Advisory Board and Medical Consultant.
- Knoll Pharmaceutical Company: Meridia Advisory Board and Medical Consultant.
Medical Consultation to the Media:
- Medical Consultant to the Today Show with Bryant Gummbel. February 25th, 1992.
- Medical Consultant to NBC for the show Life in The Fat Lane II ( aired, 5/17/95).
- Invited Expert Consultant, The Bradshaw Difference, “Do Diet Pills Cure Obesity,” October 2, 1996. (Aired, 10/22/96).
- Invited Expert Consultant, The Maury Povitch Show, “Treatment of Super-Morbid Obesity”, October 23,1996.
- Medical Consultant to the Home and Family Show, (aired, 8/5/97 and 8/12/97.)
- NCME “Significant Advances in the Treatment of Obesity.” Continuing Medical Education Video. (August 8th, 1997.)
- “Management of the Obese Patient” The Simply Leticia Show, June 12th, 1998.
Medical Consultation to Government:
- “Commercial Weight Loss Products and Programs-What Consumers Stand to Gain and Lose” A Public Conference on the Information Consumers Need to Evaluate Weight Loss Products and Programs: Sponsored by Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Consumer Protection, The American Society of Clinical Nutrition, and The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. (October 16-17, 1997)
- Federal Trade Commission: Partnership for Healthy Weight Management. A coalition composed of representatives from science, commercial enterprises, and organizations promoting the public interest. Washington, D.C. (February 10, 1999).
Medical Executive Experience:
- Executive Medical Director, Lindora Medical Clinics, Costa Mesa, California. March 15th 1994-Present.