Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Forensic Accounting, Economic Damages, Market Analysis, Financial Analysis, Business Valuations, Accounting, Fraud Prevention, Global Supply Chains, Quality Management, Enterprise Resource Planning Systems
Expert Witness No. 3282
Expert has experience in financial analysis, valuations, accounting, manufacturing operations, global supply chains, quality management, and enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems for companies in the medical device and contract manufacturing industries. Experienced application of advanced financial analysis, asset and technology portfolio management, and accounting acumen in technology environments. Expert is an operations, supply chain, finance, and accounting leader with a record of launching many firsts. Greater than twenty five years of professional experience with Micro Systems Engineering, Inc., Micro Systems Technologies Management AG, and affiliates of Biotronik SE & Co. KG, a multi-billion global medical device company. Expert has additional experience with application specific integrated circuit (ASIC) technology, foundry, passives commodities, and commodity semiconductors.
MBA – Management of Innovation and Technology, Portland State University, School of Business, 8/18/2001
BA – Business Finance, Portland State University, School of Business, 8/14/1999
- 2015 – Present Worldview Consulting & Accounting, Inc., Portland, Oregon – Vice President
- 2009 – Present Micro Systems Engineering, Inc., Lake Oswego, OR – Senior Supply Chain Program Manager
- 2006 – 2009 Micro Systems Engineering, Inc., Lake Oswego, OR – Program Manager
- 2002 – 2006 MSEI – Biotronik SE & Co. KG. , Berlin – Corporate Supplier Business Manager
- 2001 – 2002 Micro Systems Engineering, Inc., Lake Oswego, OR – Commodity Manager
- 2000 – 2001 Micro Systems Engineering, Inc., Lake Oswego, OR – Senior Master Scheduler
- 1999 – 2001 Graduate Research Assistantship, Teaching Assistant – Portland State University
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Commonwealth of Massachusetts, license 31162
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), State of Oregon, license 14389
- Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), and FVS Section
- Certified Production & Inventory Management (CPIM), Falls Church Virginia
Intellectual Property: Researched and gathered both requested and appropriate material for external financial expert in actual intellectual property case as employee of defendant, who was also plaintiff in a counter-claim. Developed matrices for cost differentiation methods for external CFF and legal counsel, and performed internal plaintiff discovery efforts October 13, 2015 to September 16, 2016. Led internal accounting and finance employees to gather data for plaintiff damages calculation. Trained external experts and legal counsel on manufacturing, automation, and operations specifics required to understand damages and options for valuation. Testified in 30b6 as to financial, purchasing, and cost analysis documents.
Breach of Contract: Evaluated contract language for affiliate in anticipated Swiss lawsuit against U.S. defendant, anticipated litigation for Breach of Contract. Swiss parent company of U.S. contract manufacturer, with anticipated lawsuit against medical device manufacturer. Researched both discoverable and potentially admissible material to international team with respect to requirements commitments, forecast communication and enforceable inventory provisions March 25, 2015 through April 16, 2015. Quantified inventory exposure and expense related to contract performance and agreement. Developed inventory valuation scenarios based on contemplated legal strategy provided by legal counsel. Documented and presented valuation model and supporting data to executive management.
Breach of Contract: Performed exposure risk assessment, intellectual property procedure, and systematic contract management process for defense in potential lawsuit. Developed position statement. Researched discoverable financial documents, specifications, drawings, contracts, and transaction data between January 18, 2016 and January 25, 2016.
Developed detailed and reusable absorption and variable product cost models for an Oregon SMB, a manufacturer of current transformers and transducers. Set up models to display both the actual structure using annual period data, and modeling of product costs given inputs by the user. Modeled output calculations for differentiating revenue, manufacturing overhead, direct labor dollars, COGS, direct material, and revenue. Successfully cleared stakeholder confusion as to true costs and sensitivity inherent in the cost structure.
Evaluated Tax Free Reorganization Under Section 368A. Acquirer would use its stock as a significant portion of the consideration paid to shareholder rather than cash or debt. Advised client to understand his motivations and purpose, and whether purpose was in line with the deferral of tax under Section 368, the four major requirements to be eligible for tax free treatment, and Section 354, 355, 356 relating to exchanges of stock, distribution of stock, and other consideration taxable in the transaction. Clarified in laymen terms that, in this case, the criteria could not be met under Reg. Sec. 1-368-1.
Provided evaluation and provided laymen training on gain on sale of §1245 property recaptured as §1245 ordinary income. Built hypotheticals for client to train and compare to client’s actual situation, which was needed for client to understand the corporate client would be subject to ordinary income and tax rates in an asset sale, or for a contemplated taxable stock sale (treated as an asset sale) where a Section 336(e) or a Section 338(h)(10) election is made.
Authored and implemented a QMS (quality management system) for a corporate client, an electronic device manufacturer. Established and valued key IP and processes by first writing out all processes for the first time in the history of the client. Wrote process specifications, control plans, and established a relational database to anchor the budding QMS. Advised client on dealing with external parties interested in client IP as to process control. Correctly advised on client to seek legal counsel as to IP protections.
Led and accomplished tens of millions of dollars in cost reductions, with strong impact on business units. Supply chain strategy, global sourcing, quality and process improvement leader. Built high quality, low cost supply chains in China, Taiwan, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Mexico, and North America.
Business-technical leader of operations program managers, quality, finance, and materials specialists inside ISO-13485 environment. Advanced user in ERP, SAP PP, MM, BM, SD, and manufacturing systems. Implemented automated direct and indirect purchasing using ERP system. Managed working capital and improved turnover of complex high-reliability inventory portfolio by 15% 2012 to 2014.
Led materials operations, users, tests, and modeling for SAP batch management 2011 through 2012. Led operations changeover to SAP ECC6.0, and SAP to manufacturing execution systems integration. Authored SAP BM software requirements. Led change of materials control to cleanroom, mobile device, and Kanban systems.
Created portfolio of cost reductions and systems improvements saving $17MM from 2007 to 2011 in a $150 million BU by alternate sourcing lower cost memory, subcontract services, frequency, and inductive devices in Europe, North America, and Asia.
Reduced inventory 19% 2006-2007; implemented controls, consignment, VMI. Reduced shortages 80% simultaneously. Created cash flow budgeting, and future cash flow projections.
Business-finance leader. Reserves analysis and execution of $90 million spend, and control of obsolescence. Internal audit lead for management, quality, systems. Experienced interface with external auditors. Financial modeling, multi-variable sensitivity analysis, DCF analysis, and decision-making analytics. US GAAP, IFRS, decomposition, and acquisitions knowledge.
- Vice President. 1/12/2015 to Present. Consulting & Accounting, Inc. Lead Consultant, CPA, CFF, co-founder, and Board Member. Industry experienced, CPA licensed, finance accredited. Record of success with small, medium, and large global project management. Finance, supply chain, quality, and accounting expert. Advanced training and experience in CAPA, internal auditing, regulatory, and external auditing to criteria of relevant body requirements. Trained ISO QMS auditor within ISO 13485 and ISO 9001 high-technology (SMT) manufacturing industry. Applied advanced auditor experience in manufacturing, ERP, Finance, Management, and IT.
- Senior Manager, Supply Chain & Materials. 4/30/2009 to Present. Micro Systems Technologies Management AG, Switzerland, Micro Systems Engineering, Inc. Lead global business initiatives and corporate development with core team of supply chain, purchasing, and materials professionals. Contract manufacturing customer interface for supply chain and materials. Implemented SAP ERP automated direct and indirect purchase orders, electronic requisition, and electronic maintenance workflows for digital office improvement. Eliminated unnecessary administrative waste and redirected team to cost efforts. Led materials operations users, and modeling for SAP Batch Management 2011 to 2012. Authored Batch Management Software Requirements Specification, with Berlin corporate to Oregon affiliate agreement. Led change to SAP mobile device, Kanban, and implementation of advanced traceability systems.
- Senior Supply Chain Program Manager. 4/1/2006 to 4/30/2009. Micro Systems Engineering, Inc. Eliminated all shortages at Oregon plant. Audit leadership experience. Created and led offshore and second source strategies, cost reductions, and systems improvements saving $17 million from 2007 to 2011. Led professionals and subcontractors across an international global matrix in Europe, North America, Taiwan, and China. Commodity manager of semiconductors, passives, frequency devices. Initiated, wrote, and negotiated key contracts. Trained and experienced internal, IT, and ISO auditor.
- Corporate Supplier Business Manager. 4/12/2002 to 4/1/2006. Micro Systems Engineering, Inc. Cross-site supply chain leader. Created ties with European and Asian semiconductor foundries. Negotiated deals with Biopolymer and lubricious coatings between New York start up and German corporate. Established and implemented technology strategies across global sites. Authored global company’s first supplier selection, performance, and commodity systems. Developed intermediate proficiency with German as a second language.
- Commodity Manager. 9/6/2001 to 4/12/2002. Micro Systems Engineering, Inc. Created and led first commodity methodology. Promoted to manage cross-functional teams. Authored, led, and implemented resulting strategies.
- Senior Master Scheduler. 10/16/2000 to 9/6/2001. Micro Systems Engineering, Inc. Created and implemented the company’s first Master Schedule and demand management function between European company and affiliates in North America.
- Graduate Research Assistantship. 1999 to 2001. Technology sector investment portfolio lead experience at Portland State University with Portland Society of Financial Analyst’s funding. Proctor for underclass finance classes. Managed portfolio analysis projects. Stock Portfolio Manager, Portland Society of Financial Analysts.