Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Engineer, Design, Construction, Project Controls, Project Management, EPC Contractor Performance Project Scheduling, Project Controls, Earned Value Management Systems, Gas Turbine, Wind Turbine, Utility, Energy, Nuclear Power Plant
Expert has over forty-seven (47) years of major engineering, design and construction, project controls and project management expertise. Expert has experience assessing the effectiveness and execution of EPC contractor performance, project scheduling, project controls, and Earned Value Management Systems at major power facilities, including several gas turbine, wind turbine and various DOE projects.
Expert’s reviews have included an assessment of the construction execution plan, site organizational structures and EVMS methodologies. Expert regularly advises major utilities, energy companies and the US DOE on the status and progress of construction. He has managed an estimating department responsible for preparation and negotiation of large lump sum change orders. He prepared project specific detailed cost engineering reports including variance analysis and prepared integrated project schedules including cost and resource loading. He provided cost and schedule troubleshooting analysis with recommendations for mitigating impacts.
Expert has been involved in several litigation and claim initiatives and has been responsible for analysis, mitigation strategy planning and expert witness work. Expert has experience assessing the effectiveness of contractor performance at over 100 major power facilities.
Expert has been an Expert Witness on several legal proceedings including conventional and nuclear facilities. Prepared position papers on claim issues and represented the client during legal review and litigation. Provided expert witness services for the plaintiff in a case involving heavy industrial construction. Case was heard by a judge in a United States District Court.
Provided project control support for a variety of DOE Plutonium Disposition Projects. Provided reviews and assessments of construction cost estimates and integrated schedules for Constellation Energy, Florida Power & Light, Progress Energy, Bp Global Power, and Old Dominion Electric Cooperative. Assessed construction management strategies for several Government and Industrial energy projects.
Managed an estimating department responsible for preparation and negotiation of large lump sum change orders. Prepared project specific detailed cost engineering reports including variance analysis. Prepared integrated project schedules including cost and resource loading. Provided cost and schedule troubleshooting analysis with recommendations for mitigating impacts
Managed multi-million-dollar projects for the utility industry. Ensured compliance of civil, structural, mechanical and electrical work with contract specifications.
Estimated new contract work and changed
T&D / Substations
Provided project management, estimating, schedule and risk support for:
Execution of a 500kV underground transmission project;
New substation installations and substation upgrades.
Bid and Proposal Evaluation
Evaluated bid and proposals regarding schedule, cash flow and cost comparison. Established a system for tracking project status relating to schedule and contractor progress payments. Developed estimates and negotiating strategies for change orders.
Supervised and coordinated the activities of the installation and erection contractors for the steam generators, condensers, pressure piping, large bore hangers, and other related equipment. Duties included surveillance of contractors for compliance to contract specifications, standards, codes and required tests.
- 1970 – 1972: Quad Cities Nuclear Power Plant Construction
Pipe Support Designer
- 1972 – 1975: Prairie Island Nuclear Power Plant Construction
Piping Designer, Field Engineer, Start-Up Engineer
- 1975 – 1984: Hanford Nuclear Station #2 Power Plant Construction
Estimator, Chief Estimator
Lead effort to convert fixed price construction contracts to target incentive contracts. Developed “Work Smart Program” increasing craft proficiency by 65%.
- July 2002: Pebble Bed Reactor Project
Schedule and Risk Evaluation
- June 2003: First Energy – Davis Besse Nuclear Plant
- May 2005: Louisiana Energy Services – Nuclear Fuel Facility Construction
Project Control Review
- July 2008: SASOL – Helium Cooled Reactor Study
Scheduling / Estimating
- October 2008: Texas Utilities, South Texas Project 3 & 4, Nuclear Power Plant Construction
Construction Management, Planning, Estimating
- June 2009: Korea Power Energy Company, Nuclear Power Plant Construction
- May 2010: Toshiba, ABWR NRC Lic Review
Cost, Schedule & Risk Review
- April 2001: Duke Energy, Oconee Nuclear Station
Estimating Main Steam Re-route
- July 2011: Peach Bottom Nuclear Station
Underground Piping Degradation Study
- September 2013: Duke Energy
Fukushima Modification Study for Nuclear Facilities
- July 2014: Chernobyl Nuclear Facilities Site
Evaluate construction progress and report back to US State Department regarding funding contributions.
- 2000 – Present: Department of Energy
Various project reviews including construction management, claims assessment, project control analysis, risk assessments and estimating.
Other Professional Experience
- Consulted with a major US utility for the purpose of creating initiatives to improve processes resulting in cost reductions for the installation of new transmission lines, and substations.
- Responsible for EPC contract management and construction oversight for the construction of Gregory Power Project, a 500 MW combined cycle combustion turbine power plant. The plant is being constructed by Bechtel for Gregory Power Partners – a consortium of LG&E Energy and Columbia Energy.
- Project Manager for the construction, start-up, and turn over to operations for a 80 MW combined cycle facility, a 450 ton per day potable ice production facility, a 650 ton per day ammonia absorption refrigeration facility, and a 20,000 gallon per day liquefied natural gas facility. The approximate constructed value of this facility is $93 million dollars.
- Engineering Manager responsible for plant engineering, capital projects and special projects at the Doswell Combined Cycle Facility, Expert established a proactive environmental program, specified, procured, installed and tested a continuous emissions monitoring system, managed approximately $7 million of capital improvements, and managed the recovery of a failed gas turbine (total project value approximately $50 million) in 120 days.
- At Burns and Roe Corporation, Expert was responsible for on-site management of the construction and commissioning of a 726 MW combined facility. He ensured compliance with schedule and budget, represented the owner in miscellaneous community affairs, coordinated offsite construction of water facilities, ensured compliance with specific air and water permits, and approved results of performance tests.
- Expert, as the Site Manager, was responsible for on site management of the construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance of a 32 MW gas turbine cogeneration project where his duties included: Ensuring compliance with state and local agency regulations such as the Air Pollution Control District, Division of Oil and Gas, and Hazardous Materials Division of the Fire Department; Turnkey contract administration; performance test evaluation and plant acceptance; proper plant operator training and development of 54 producing oil wells in preparation for enhanced recovery by cyclic steam injection. The approximate constructed value of this was $44 million. Client: Mitsubishi.
- Expert was the Assistant Resident Construction Manager responsible for assisting the
Resident Construction Manager from ground breaking to commercial operation. His duties included the following: Prepared lump sum bid packages for various disciplines, negotiated settlements on lumps sum change orders, Chairman on the daily coordination meeting with contractors, close out of the five major contracts including litigation preparation. Approximate constructed value $120 million. Customer: Applied Energy Systems (AES).
- As the Discipline Contract Manager Expert was responsible for completing a specific phase of the project on schedule and within budget. His duties included the following: Ensure compliance
of civil, structural, mechanical and electrical work with contract specifications, estimated new contact work and change orders, schedule analysis to determine impact of delays, constructability and value engineering reviews of plans and specifications, prepared position papers on claim issues and represented the client during legal review and litigation valued at $7 million. Approximate and constructed value: $250 Million, 1,000,000 SF. Customer: Northrop Corporation, Advanced Systems Division.
- Expert was responsible for evaluation of bid proposals regarding schedule, cash flow, and cost comparison. He established a system for tracking project status relating to schedule and contractor progress payments. Developed estimates and negotiation strategies for change orders. Assumed the responsibilities of the Resident Construction Manager for the final months of the project. Approximate constructed value: $22 Million, 360,000 SF. Customer: Northrop Corporation, Advanced Systems Division
- Expert was responsible for developing detailed work schedules with the objective of completing areas and systems in the sequence to support plant start-up. This plan resulted in increased craft productivity.
- As the Chief Estimator he was responsible for the preparation and approval of all lump sum change order estimates on behalf of the owner. Primary function included providing the Contract Administration Department with a fair cost estimate to be used for negotiation and settlement purposes. Values of estimates ranged from no cost to $189 million and included change order
- As Construction Supervisor Expert managed resolution of discrepancies and nonconformances with home office engineering, supervised field discipline engineers, resolved contractor interferences and coordinated construction completion and testing with start-up personnel.
- Expert as construction engineer supervised and coordinated the activities of the installation and erection contractors for the steam generators, condensers, pressure piping, large bone hangers, and other related equipment. Duties included surveillance of contractors for compliance to contract specifications, standards, codes, and required tests.
- As a Field engineer, Expert coordinated the large bore hanger as built program, resolved field
interferences with the contractor, and coordinated field changes with the architect engineer located in Chicago.
- Morrison Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Associates in Science 1971
- Managing for Motivation
- Technical Writing
- Commercial Aspects of Contracting
- LM 2500 Gas Turbine Operation
- Team Building Works
- Public Speaking