Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Engineering, Structural Specialities, Materials’ Science Glass Engineering, Glass, Glazing, Automatic, Powered Doors, Building Envelope, Leaks, Mold Damage, Injury, Death as Caused by Glass or Doors
Summary of 40 Years’ Experience
Commercial Glazing Executive, Curtain Wall Senior Director, Director of Technical and Scientific Services, Master Journeyman Glazier and Project Management Professional (PMP®)
- Director of Technical Services for Glass Expert Services Ltd a Registered and Licensed Glass Specialty Engineering firm; scientific and field investigation team leader for mitigation and investigation of glass fabrication and processing, Technical Consultant of QA/QC for major glass and aluminum extrusion fabricators and processors. Technical and Senior PM for unitized curtain wall processors, installers and factories/glass companies who wish to become UCW experts.
- Expertise offered to major processors and fabricators of glass and glazing systems, General Contractors and Architects. Consultancy in expert litigation offered to Attorney Groups for their matters needed of expert witness of death, injury and patent products in the commercial glazing trades.
- Door, Hardware and Architectural Millworks and Commercial Glazing Management and Senior Project Management. Design-build, VE and negotiate with Owner and Architect/Engineers.
- Excellent skills as Director; Senior Project Management of both medium and major iconic projects; exacting take-off of material and labor and specification and installation teams.
- Expert with ordering, provision and installation of commercial storefront and curtain wall, glass and architectural doors, frames and hardware and accoutrement millworks.
- Hiring and management of both small and large teams of Union and non-union Installation Crews.
- Recruiting and leading Teams of Project Managers and Installers from start of job to final completion.
- Management of Scope of Work, take-off of blueprint and specification, review/proof of Contract, submittals, vendor negotiation of materials and supplies.
Noteworthy; I have been known for many years as “The Fixer” of Operations and staff and “The Sheriff” of good and miscreant men and jobsites all over the planet.
As of March 2018 to current living in the low mountains outside Seattle WA and offering contract and hourly-rate skills with my firm of Glass Expert Services LLC to medium and major Architects, curtain wall engineering firms, attorneys of concern to issues of commercial glass and international manufacturers of float glass as Technical Advisor to their clients of glass processors all over the planet.
June of 2015 after over a year of negotiating I agreed to go and live in New Zealand as the Technical and Technical Team Leader of the QAQC and Engineering/Technical Team for the largest glass company in New Zealand; Metro Performance Glass. Non-stop travel over the 2 Islands and the several major cities of Australia working with Team Leaders and Branch Managers on medium to major glass projects. Working as Consultant to Metro (not employee) I was constantly working with the Managing Director and his General Manager both putting me forward to Architect and Engineer and Building Owner on designs and engineering of glass systems both external building envelope and many myriad specialty interior glass types, solving daily challenges of design and engineering, Team Project Management, processing to final installation of medium to major glass projects.
March 2012 to current: CEO and Senior Technical Director: Glass Expert Services LLC. Traveling extensively throughout North America, the UK and EU offering Specialty Glass Engineering and Design Consultancy; in-house and field investigation services to major processors and fabricators of glass, Architects and Main Contractors for metal glazing systems and field investigation of proper and correct installation methods and procedures. Consultancy also offered to Attorney Groups for scientific glass processes, death and injury as caused by glass and doors.
June 2010- March 2012; Senior Projects Manager and Director of Technical Services for Emirates Glass LLC Dubai (United Arab Emirates). EGL is the largest processor of Architectural and Unitized Curtain Wall glass products in the Middle East; my team of 22 direct reports was directly responsible for all technical issues arising from curtain wall orders of glass and aluminum fixing problems. Responsible for Order Management from Sale and all processing to shipping and then Quality Inspection of installed glass. Direct Manager of QA/QC Team from float glass through processing with the largest sputter deposition factory in MENA. My tasks included on-site QA/QC Management of the float glass from Emirates Float Abu Dhabi and then extensive processing of that glass to final-finish Unitized CW at Emirates Glass Dubai. I also was responsible for extensive travel to world-famous high-rise and monumental glass projects in the Middle East as well as India, Turkey and Europe inspecting and checking the quality of the final finished products and resolving any issues related to the quality of the glass received, the fixing of metal systems and the Installation Team.
September 2009- June 2010; Union Only Glass; Seattle WA. Senior Director for their Commercial Glass Division during their transition to Chapter 7 BK. Performed critical take-off for all glazing and curtain wall, bid projects accurately and upon award hand over to PM Teams and assist the Associate Estimators. This firm transitioned to completion of Chapter 7 in June of 2010.
2008- 2009; Recruited for crises management at several projects in the West Indies Caribbean; The Haskel Company needed an immediate Senior Project Manager for management of several projects in crises; I traveled to major glazing jobsites throughout the Caribbean hiring and on-site management of both native and imported workers to complete casino, hotel and condo projects with Hurricane Impact Glazing and Curtain wall.
Recruited in 2008 by Opus Pacific NW to act as Executive Project and Operations Manager for their Subcontractor for the Fifteen Twenty One Project (across the street from the National Historic Landmark Pike Place Market): the most expensive high-rise hospitality in the area’s history. Direct Management of Product Provision and Project Management for materials and direct supervision of the Seattle Commercial Glaziers and Commercial Carpenters Union installation of an $8.5M package of high-rise curtain wall, commercial and residential doors, hardware and architectural millworks.
Recruited in 2006 by a Fortune 100 Company (US Gypsum) and tasked to provide for the emergency- build and management of Major Glass, Door and Hardware Install Teams in Phoenix AZ.
Owner (CEO) of Active Door & Glass, Inc for 16 years installing Major Door (Commercial & Residential) and Commercial Glazing (Doors & Glass) Projects throughout the Western United States.
Executive Consultant for Internationally Ranked General Contractors; The Hard Rock Casino Macau PRC (Leighton/Holland and Ingersoll Rand ST), University of North Florida (The Haskell Co), Dahlgren Naval Facility (Turner Construction), San Antonio Baptist Hospital (PRL Construction), The Petrotrin Corporate Headquarters (McCarthy Construction), Sands Casino Singapore (Skanska).
Fifteen Twenty One Project (Downtown Seattle WA) 2008/2009
Frontier Door and Glass Systems, Executive Operations Manager
Recruited in July 2008 as Project-Term Operations Manager for Opus NW, Seattle WA. Director of Project Management of the Fifteen Twenty One High Rise managing the Curtain Wall and Millworks Package. This 54 story was the most expensive hospitality high-rise in the area’s history. Responsible for the daily supervision and management of over 100 Union Journeyman and Apprentices for the 15-month duration of installation.
CALPLY Door and Glass Systems Phoenix (Arizona) 2006/2008
Commercial Glass, Doors & Hardware
Installation Division Prime Manager, Field Supervision Director
Prime Division Manager of the largest Architectural Glass, Door & Hardware Company in Phoenix Arizona; recruited and assigned to build and lead the Installation division through tumultuous growth and major organizational changes on multiple Major Install Projects simultaneously.
Assigned to hire and train 4 Install Teams of 15 men each and 4 Senior Superintendents and up-to-speed in a very short amount of time. Accomplished through exacting interview and jobsite training and testing to assure that the men hired were in fact the “expert” claimed in interview. Jobsite testing and critical inspection of every item installed on a daily basis until a very strong and well-rounded Team of Installers and Leadmen has been assembled and then management of those Teams.
Active Door, Inc. DBA Active Door & Glass LLC, Owner (CEO) 1990/2006
Full Service Contract Door & Hardware (Ironmongery) Provision/Installation
Specialty Commercial Glazing & Glass Door Contractor (high-end & difficult projects only) Design, fabrication and installation of custom-made Entry Doors
Design, fabrication and installation of Architectural Moldings & Millworks
Starting from scratch in 1990 in a severe recession in Southern California and on the strengths of the previous 14 years working towards my goal of Master Journeyman, Active Door, Inc. was built into a well- known and respected member of the DHI in San Diego CA and the CA Glass Dealers Assoc., provisioning and installing Architectural Door & Specialty Glazing Projects across the Western United States and Internationally as Executive Consultant for Major Projects.
Discovering that the Architectural Door Trade was very similar to the Commercial Glazing and Glass Door Trade and lucrative opportunities existed for experts and highly motivated professionals, many years were spent successfully bidding and installing major door & hardware projects along with storefront and glazing projects simultaneously all the while creating and managing a fully-machined woodworking Shop where we created from design very-high-end custom made Rail & Stile doors for our own installation along with Base, Case, Crown, Handrail and Staircase Components and Designer-Closet Organizers.
Admiral Glass & Door, San Diego CA 1984/1990
Commercial Door & Glazing Contractor Chief of Operations, Executive VP
Hired as Lead Journeyman to manage and lead the Installation Division in Glass and Door projects throughout Southern California. Promoted to Operations Manager and Senior VP in 1988 and lead the company of over 100 employees in daily task assignment, hiring of Office and Field Staff, managing monthly P & L and a budget of $3 M per month.
Several small family-owned Construction Companies in Seattle, Washington 1976/1984
Apprentice (1976) then Journeyman (1980) then Lead Journeyman (1984)
Education and Certifications:
- Bachelor Engineering (BEng) Studies the University of California San Diego (1982)
- Master of Business Administration Studies at Manchester Business College (1994)
- Materials Science Glass Engineering Studies at the University of CA San Diego (1995)
- Project Management Professional from the Project Management Institute
- Master Journeyman Glazier from Union Local 245 (Los Angeles CA); 1992
- Fabricator of the Year; 1996 from the Southern CA Glass Dealers Association
Specialty and Technical Abilities:
- Exacting mathematical skills for spatial mechanics and engineering characteristics of aluminum and glass systems.
- Glass fabrication to Unitized/Stick Systems and Factory Processing of Unitized Systems.
- Technical and scientific expertise in calculations and structuring of both glass and glazing systems.
- Highly skilled internationally for problem and crises management for glass and CW projects.
- Noted and well-received national and international author of trade articles for Engineering and Glass Magazines and noted Speaker at Fenestration Trade Shows.
- Professional writer of technical articles and responses to customers in trouble.
- Coordinator of all facets of Estimation and Sales, Order Receipt and Fabrication to Ship Out and Installation of major Glass, Aluminum, Door and
- Hardware projects internationally.
- International extensive travel and interaction with several dozen highly sensitive cultural groups and successful moderation of Team Effort to final conclusion and completion of job 100% and paid.
Notable Projects of personal responsibility and interaction in the recent 10 years
- Christchurch ASB Hospital 14,000 SqM curtainwall provision and installation.
- Quad 7 4-story Icon at Auckland International Airport.
- 213 Queen Street 9,500 SqM reskin of 27-year old building with all new curtain wall.
- Dunedin Bach Home; all glass spiral staircase with bent balustrade.
- Auckland Convention Center; automatic glass door package (88 pairs’ auto-powered doors).
- Nida Tower Curtainwall; Executive PM: Istanbul Turkey (38 story multi-use)
- Latter Day Saints Temple Davie FL; Executive Director Glazing for $4.8M glazing project.
- Executive Consultant to ITW (Illinois Tool Works) for a major patented curtain wall design.
- Olay Towers Riyadh; Executive PM and Technical Director for CW: two towers 65 story each.
- The Flame Towers Curtainwall and Glass Systems: Executive PM; Baku, Azerbaijan.
- Al Rajhi Tower – Riyadh Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (250 Meter mixed use)
- Fifteen Twenty One (Opus Seattle): 126 Unit Hospitality, most expensive high-rise in Seattle history. Executive Management of Curtainwall,
- Millworks, Door and Hardware package valued at $5.5M.
- BCBG Maxamera Pacific Place, Downtown Seattle: $395K ultra-custom glazing TI.
- Digipen Renton WA: Very complex $2.8 million storefront and interior glazing for the Nintendo School.
- PetroTrin (Port of Spain Trinidad) $5.6 million Executive Headquarters Curtainwall and ACP.
- Royal Bank of Scotia, Saint Lucia West Indies; ACP, Hurricane Impact Glazing and Architectural Doors.
- San Antonio Specialty Surgical Center; provision and installation of doors & hardware.
- The Hard Rock Casino, Macau PRC; Executive Consultant for Ingersoll Rand provision of hardware, supervising the installation teams for a package valued at $2.5M.
- Sands Casino Singapore; Executive Consultant (Installation) for Jangho Specialty Metals (Curtainwall)
- University of North Florida, Osprey Dormitories; 1,000 unit Student Housing Doors and Millworks.
- Dahlgren Naval Facility (Dahlgren VA); Operations and Flight Center Curtainwall: Senior PM managing the installation of 16,000 sq ft radius curtainwall and punched windows (all hurricane impact).
- Biltmore Estates Saddleback Phoenix; extremely difficult install of all-stain-grade millworks
- Bridgeview at Tempe Town Lakes: 104 Hospitality Condo Units.
- Sun City Luxury Hotel; 245 unit installation of all doors, millworks and interior glazing.
- Skyline Wesleyan Church: 275,000 sq ft Church; all doors/hardware and storefront.
- La Mirada Elementary School District; provision and installation at 4 Schools, all doors and hardware and exterior storefront simultaneously with the Los Angeles Commercial Glaziers & Carpenters Union.
- National Surgical Hospitals: a chain of Hospitals & Surgical Centers and adjacent Medical Office Buildings. Provisioned and installed across 7 years in California, Arizona, Texas, Nevada, Washington and Idaho.
- Balboa Park National Historic Landmark: chosen from many fabricators across the US to design, build and then install historically accurate replacement doors & windows.
- CRS Group LTD: Prime Subcontractor provisioning and then installing the complete door, hardware and trim package at over 3,000 condo-conversion units in San Diego.
- San Diego County Administration Building; a National Historic Landmark renovation, custom fabricated millworks, doors, doorjambs and accoutrement millwork package valued at $1.1M.
- San Diego Juvenile Hall Expansion/Remodel; 14-month project of doors and hardware and specialty glazing package valued at $2.4M.
- Bisbee AZ (Copper Queen) Hospital remodel and renovation package of doors and hardware and specialty glazing valued at $750K.
- North County Fair (Escondido CA) Shopping Mall renovation; provision and installation of Mall Front Glazing and specialty millworks valued at $700K.
- USA and International references available upon request.