Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Passenger Rail Operations, Commuter Rail Operations, Freight Rail Operations, Rail Operations, Operational Safety, Planning, Start Up, Safety Analysis, Safety Planning, Rail, Rail Transit, Railroad Safety Officer, Train Accident Investigation, Grade Crossing Accident Investigation, Locomotive, Injury Investigation, Safety Auditing, FRA Compliance, Regulatory Compliance, APTA, Railroad Accident Investigation, Railroad Mechanical, Railroad Equipment Repair, Accident Injury Prevention, Equipment Maintenance Repair Freightcars, Preventive Maintenance, Operating Practices Operating Rules, GCOR, General Code of Operating Rules, Freight Passenger Cars,Train Master, Superintendent, Trainmaster
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
Managing partner of consulting organization specializing in railroad & rail transit safety & operations.
Subject matter expert on:
- Safety & operations of general railroads, commuter railroads, light rail & other transit rail systems;
- State & Federal regulations governing railroad, commuter rail, light rail & other transit rail systems promulgated by the:
- Federal Railroad Administration
- Federal Transit Administration
- California Public Utilities Commission;
- Rail System Safety Management standards & protocols;
- American Public Transportation Association (APTA) standards & recommended practices;
- Highway/Rail at-grade crossing configurations & safety;
- Federal grade crossing “Quiet Zone” assessments & applications;
- Grade crossing site diagnoses & safety assessments;
Develop & implement passenger rail & rail transit safety & security management plans in accordance with state & federal regulations & industry best management practices.
Assist with creation of Program Management Plan for development, design & construction of new passenger rail system, including:
- Safety & Security Management during design & construction.
- Safety & Security Certification plan development & implementation.
- Configuration Safety Management plan development & implementation.
- Executive management resource on matters relating to railroad safety & regulatory requirements.
Assisted & advised CEO & executive staff on management & safe utilization of locomotive & rolling stock lease fleet.
Supervised field safety & operations.
Managed implementation of Carl Moyer Program locomotive low-emissions upgrades.
Responsible for delivery of safe, efficient & reliable passenger rail transportation within Amtrak's Southwest Division, including:
- Pacific Surfliner intercity trains between San Luis Obispo, Los Angeles & San Diego.
- Coast Starlight long distance train between Los Angeles & San Luis Obispo.
- Southwest Chief long distance train between Los Angeles & Dodge City, KS.
- Sunset Limited long distance train between Los Angeles & Beaumont, TX.
- Texas Eagle long distance train between Los Angeles, San Antonio & Longview, TX.
- Heartland Flyer intercity trains between Ft. Worth, TX & Oklahoma City, OK.
Lead a team of approximately 400 craft & management employees deployed across seven Southwestern states.
Managed an annual budget of approximately $62 million.
Responsible for operational safety & efficiency; regulatory & operating rules compliance; employee training & qualifications; labor & union relations; management & implementation of collective bargaining agreements; management of service delivery costs, payroll & budget; crew deployment & staffing; field & on-board oversight, incident investigations, corrective action plans & remedial training.
Accountable for fuel management & conservation, environmental compliance & awareness, implementation of safety program plans & training.
- Designed & implemented comprehensive passenger railroad system safety management program; guided & oversaw agency & contractor adherence with state & federal railroad safety regulations, operating rules, safe operating practices & NCTD’s Rail System Safety Program Plan.
- Managed service quality & contract oversight program for train operations, maintenance-of-way, mechanical & passenger services. Performed & documented independent evaluations & audits of agency & service contractors to assess performance quality & verify contract compliance; developed & implemented structured corrective action plans when necessary to address deficiencies. Forged partnerships between NCTD, contractor & regulatory agency staffs to foster cooperative adherence to contract specifications, the Rail System Safety Program Plan & regulatory requirements.
- Managed & directed the development, implementation & enforcement of safe railroad operating rules & practices. Served as SDNR representative on the joint SDNR/SCRRA Timetable/Special Instructions Committee. Member, General Code of Operating Rules Committee representing SDNR.
- Liaison with Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) & California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) for matters of SDNR/COASTER operations & safety. Forged & maintained ongoing productive working relationships with regulatory field inspectors & program managers.
- Monitored industry & government rail safety initiatives, programs, rulemaking & legislation. Provided input on various APTA, FRA, & TSA proposals for standards &/or rulemaking. Advised executive management & Board of Directors on these elements & their potential impacts on NCTD/SDNR. Acted as Initial Project Manger for NCTD’s Positive Train Control implementation initiative.
- Developed & implemented comprehensive SDNR Passenger Train Emergency Response Plan in compliance with FRA Part 239 requirements.
- Investigated incidents, accidents, service quality anomalies & regulatory/rules compliance deficiencies. Performed root-cause analyses, tracked & evaluated trends, verified proper regulatory documentation & developed recommendations to address discrepancies, deficiencies & failures.
- Liaison with corridor partners Amtrak, BNSF, Metrolink, Rail America, San Diego Trolley & WATCO. Assisted in the management of shared-use agreements & issues. Assisted Executive Management with development of agency positions on LOSSAN Corridor & regional transportation issues.
- Developed & implemented SDNR Contractor Safety Training Program covering critical railroad environment safety for non-railroad personnel working in or around the SDNR right-of-way.
- Acting Manager of Commuter Rail Services for six months in 2002 & again for 8 months during 2004-2005 covering extended absence of assigned manager.
- Directly responsible for management of safe & efficient daily operations including productivity & rules compliance; supervised up to 14 daily yard, on-dock, interchange & road switcher jobs.
- Continuously evaluated employee performance & conducted field training/coaching to maintain or improve safety, quality job performance, productivity, & to promote positive employee morale.
- Coordinated with Marine Terminals, ILWU Dock Bosses & Steamship Lines to classify intermodal traffic within tightly-controlled work windows.
- Worked closely with BNSF & Union Pacific operations management to develop daily work plans, resolve conflicts & problems, & coordinate the efficient flow of rail traffic into & out of the Ports.
- Jointly supervised BNSF & Union Pacific trains & crews operating over PHL territory.
- Liaison with PHL customers for development of individualized service plans.
- Developed & maintained productive working relationships with union-represented T&E crews while interpreting, respecting & enforcing agreement terms & provisions.
- Assistant Trainmaster & Yardmaster
- Assisted with development of customer service design & implementation.
- Managed rail yard operations to ensure system fluidity & quality customer service, including:
- Organizing yard track customer/commodity assignments to minimize yard switching tasks.
- Car inventory management, tracking & documentation.
- Developing daily work plan for customer pulls & spots.
- Assigning & distributing daily work orders to individual jobs to ensure the timely performance of customer pull & spot requests.
- Directing & planning work for yard switch jobs.
- Arranged & coordinated daily interchange trains with Union Pacific & BNSF.
- Managed motive power:
- Optimized power assignments for each job based on highest productivity & best economy.
- Coordinated with Mechanical Dept. to manage motive power availability & serviceability.
- Train Dispatcher
- Coordinated, supervised & directed all PHL, Union Pacific & BNSF train movements over PHL-controlled rail lines in the Port of Long Beach & Port of Los Angeles.
- Coordinated & planned daily train line-ups with BNSF & UP Corridor Managers to ensure proper prioritizing of Port traffic.
- Dispatched CTC & DTC territories using Computer-Aided Dispatching application.
- Maintained daily train sheets & other FRA-required documentation.
- Managed & supervised locomotive overhaul & refurbishment program.
- Managed & supervised Company's railroad logistics, switching & interchange operations at US Naval Weapons Station railroad at Seal Beach, CA.
- Managed & supervised safe, efficient in-plant railcar switching operations at the Company’s 150-acre rail yard facility in Colton.
- Managed & supervised locomotive & passenger car repair, modification & upgrade programs.
- Assisted with management & oversight of freight car repair shop, derailment response activities & railcar dismantling operations.
- Bachelor of Arts, Marketing & Public Relations
- California State University, Long Beach – 1985
- Global Logistics Specialist
- Post-Graduate Professional Certification Program
- CSU Long Beach, Center for International Trade & Transportation – 1999
- Continuing Update Training on state & federal railroad regulatory requirements.
- Current General Code of Operating Rules qualification.
- Current Part 240 locomotive engineer certification.
- No infractions, violations or decertifiable events.