Provides Opinion & Testimony In:
Utility, underground electric, overhead electric, gas designs, transformer vault designs, utility services, electric lines, telecommunication lines, planning design of gas electric systems, underground electric design,
Experienced Utility Designer and Project Manager who has 39 years within the industry. Focus has been within the service territory of San Diego Gas and Electric (SDG&E) and has performed work within all geographical areas that SDG&E serves.
Worked as both Project Manager and Lead Utility Designer on various new business projects within Southern California and has also managed several reliability based projects for SDG&E.
Certified as an outside design resource for SDG&E, he also teaches design classes to personnel at Engineering Partners, Inc. (EPI) and several other companies.
Exceptional supervisory, project management and utility design skills
Strong background in a wide range of commercial and residential projects
Ability to analyze and resolve complex issues associated with developer’s projects
Have been certified by SDG&E to perform underground electric, overhead electric, gas and transformer vault designs
Well versed in the use of pole loading, customer load estimating and volt drop/flicker software programs
Senior Project Manager
4/2010 – 6/2016 7/2017 – 9/2019
The Engineering Partners, Inc. – San Diego, CA
- One of the Team Leads for EPI, an electrical engineering firm that has worked on numerous projects, from municipal to private developer, from green energy to heavy energy usage.
- Projects include California Proton Therapy Center – a heavy electrical usage project in the Miramar area of San Diego and the expansion of the Westfield UTC shopping center.
- A contract resource for SDG&E. In addition to design work, have served as a Project Manager on SDG&E’s Cleveland National Forest project and SDG&E’s Fire Risk Mitigation (FiRM) project. Both address fire hardening, relocation and conversion of many 12kV circuits within the back country service territory.
Distribution Design Manager
7/2016 – 7/2017
A.M. Ortega Construction – Lakeside, CA
Developed company’s first utility design team
- Client projects included ViaSat Campus – several large new commercial buildings in Carlsbad and Broadway Block highrise in downtown San Diego.
6/2004 – 3/2010
JMP Utility Services, LLC – San Diego, CA
- An owner of company that focused on the planning, design and management of dry utility systems for builders and developers.
Individual projects included Otay Ranch Town Center – a major shopping center in the city of Chula Vista; and the Hard Rock Hotel – a multi-story hotel and time-share facility in downtown San Diego.
6/1998 – 5/2004
Butsko Utility Design, Inc. – San Diego, CA
- In charge of the Design Team for the San Diego division of Butsko Utility Design, handling the planning and design of dry utilities for various developers.
- Individual projects included San Elijo Hills – a master planned community in San Marcos; Santa Fe Depot – a redevelopment and street improvement project in downtown San Diego; and San Diego Spectrum – the redevelopment of the Kearny Mesa General Dynamics property.
Customer Project Planner and Designer
10/1980 – 5/1998
San Diego Gas & Electric Co. – San Diego, CA
- Responsible for projects within two of SDG&E’s critical areas – downtown San Diego and the Golden Triangle.
- Responsible for the planning and design of SDG&E systems for many of SDG&E’s key customers, including Qualcomm, the U.S. Navy and the City of San Diego.
- Projects ranged from the construction of new residential and commercial buildings to the expansion of the San Diego Convention Center and the dredging of the San Diego Bay.
- Provided design training classes for SDG&E personnel on underground electric design. Developed policies and procedures for design related issues, many of which are still in use today.